PDA

View Full Version : q300 prop rpm

406pilot
22nd Sep 2008, 09:41
hola,

i have been flying the q300 for just a little more then 6 months now, and wondering what are the long term effects,if ANY of climbing with 1050rpm as opposed to the normal 900rpm, apart from the obvious more noise..one guy told me that the engine life is reduced(which is personally think is bull)...i know all the sax guys climb with 1050 props..please help...

no more 406pilot

Gooneyone
22nd Sep 2008, 23:17
The only problem is the noise (proves the "q" is a misnomer). No long term effects. We've been doing it for years now - used to climb at 900Np some years ago, then changed to 1050Np. Sure gets you to TOC faster.

406pilot
24th Sep 2008, 11:50
hola.
thanks for your reply, as you can probably understand im still experimenting and exploring how to fly this magnificient machine...since mostly we operate from sea level i have made a rule that anytime i have more then 35 pax i climb with 1050np...but have realised that it consumes around 50kg more fuel thn climbing at 900np...our q300 has were very nice and quiet for the first few months but now the nvs say "degraded" and the noise levels have increased in the cabin...the engineers are also "raw" like us pilots on the aircraft, and they havent got a clue as to why or how to fix the nvs...other guy showed me a placard which i had already seen saying "degraded does not mean a fault in the system"

keep it up there fellows,

no more 406pilot

adverse-bump
24th Sep 2008, 12:04
Personally, I be carefull experimenting out side of your ops manual/the way you where trained.

The only plus i have found with 1050, over 900, is tht if flying at higher levels the rate of climb can drop so low after 20,000. But if you start of with 1050, until it becomes limiting (fl070 - 080 ish in the uk) then come back to 900 you will have the extra speed and energy to keep the climb going.

How do you find the "Q" system, we dont have it, but i think that it is inop at 1050, and only works at 900? might be wrong.

ACMS
24th Sep 2008, 13:33
Ahhh pardon my ignorance but has anyone bothered to contact Bombardier about what prop setting is best and how to fix the Q system?

Maybe they might know a thing or 3 about their A/C?

they have huge 24 hr customer support centre at Downsview Airport in Toronto.

Just a thought.:ok:

Gooneyone
25th Sep 2008, 23:00
The AFM permits climb with both 900 and 1050Np. It all depends on which type of profile you're using. There are power charts for both profiles - so why contact Bombardier when you can simply refer to the AFM and ODM?
We have found that there is neglible difference in the trip fuel - what you burn in climb you save as you get to TOC quicker.
As adverse bump said, we used to use 1050 to about 8000' (ISA+15 average) then reduce to 900. Another operator in the area used it to 2500' then came back to 900. It all depends on the company's SOPs - which are presumably based on the AFM/ODM. If you're not happy with the company profile, why not get the AFM and ODM and have a look at the figures - you may be right.
But until you can get the company to change them, don't experiment! - Follow your SOPs!!!

406pilot
26th Sep 2008, 16:46
hola,

sorry to bother u fellows, but what exactly do u mean that it becomes limiting after a certain altitude ? we have been climbing from ground till fl230 with np1050 as long as was told as long as i keep the itt below 710 it was ok...gives us 1000+ fpm until toc....im sorry for all these questions but i am the person responsible to draw up the sop's and im trying to establish the facts aswell...we were trained and the instructor left us with the bare skeletons to build on....

our planes are from ba-con...and the i can assure u the Q system really works cause we normally share our passengers with other company who operate the ATR's and for obvious reasons we get the comment "this plane is more quite thn the other one"

please keep the answers coming,

no more 406pilot

Gooneyone
27th Sep 2008, 18:37
My suggestion is that you go to the Performance section of the ODM and decide which option you want. Don't have the book here with me, but I seem to remember that the options were Min Block time, Min Cost or Min Fuel.
In terms of the "limiting Tq", we use Tq figures from the ODM, presented as a "Climb Chart" to the crew. You simply check Altitude against temperature at that level and apply the Tq figure shown on the chart - the check is done every 2000'. Makes life easier for the crew and standardises the Tq setting. The same type of chart is used to set the cruise power and determine MCP.
The chart used is a simple box chart with Altitude on one axis and temperature on the other. Enter at altitude, read across to Temperature and you get the Tq setting.
Here's another tip for your SOPs. The 300 is quite capable of reduced power takeoff. It really saves the engines and lowers the costs. Use 90% for the first flight to ensure the power is available, then reduced power for the other takeoffs.
Hope this helps.

adverse-bump
27th Sep 2008, 19:04
I ment limited by the ITT, I think the book says max con is 800, but our company has a general rule of thumb to limit it to around 700, then check the check list to see what the max tq is (which was calculated on best econ i think)

I have never seen the a/c climb at 1000 ft a min up to 230? i often find better perf after 070/080 if you bring the props back to 900, as you can have a higher tq (often 96 @ 900 vs 70-80 @ 1200)

406pilot
28th Sep 2008, 19:16
hola,

thanks for all the information guys, yes we have such a chart temp/altitude to get max cruise and max climb torque which came with the aircraft which i presume must have been drawn up by the guys at Ba-con, the dilemma is that the guy who did all our route and base training told us not to exceed 720 degrees itt in climb and for cruise to set anything less then 700 degress itt...have u guys heard of those "magical" numbers? turns out these numbers almost always corresponds to the chart on the conservative side..

as far as reduced thrust take off the engineers told me that in order to do that we need to buy a supplement from bombardier...

We are also in the process of establishing some sort of trend monitoring for the engines but im a bit lost on what to do there aswell. any help from the dash8 guru's will be appreciated..we are using dhc8-311 series

keep it up there fellows,

no more 406pilot

Gooneyone
28th Sep 2008, 20:59
Sent you a PM