PDA

View Full Version : JAA IR prerequisites

Biz
21st Sep 2008, 15:07
Good afternoon one & all!

Just looking for a little piece of advice as I think I'm having a bit of a brain fart today, so need some clarification please!

If I have a FAA PPL & a JAA CPL pass (but not yet issued), can I start a JAA IR and then get them issued all together or would I need to get my CPL issued by the CAA first???

Thanks for the advice!
BB.

Shunter
21st Sep 2008, 15:15
Yes, and you'll save yourself a little chunk of money. The CAA add a rating for free if applied for at the same time as initial CPL issue. The entry requirements for the IR just state an ICAO-compliant PPL with night privileges, so your FAA license is fine to undertake the course.

LH2
21st Sep 2008, 16:57
Yes, and you'll save yourself a little chunk of money

...as long as you get your IR done, and apply for the whole lot, within six months of your CPL skills test.

Biz
21st Sep 2008, 17:43
...apply for the whole lot, within six months of your CPL skills test

Is this correct? I do not have it to hand at present, but I am sure LASORS states the CPL skills test is valid for 12 months? Or do I misunderstand you?!

capt.sparrow
21st Sep 2008, 18:01
Dunno about the 6 month thinghy, but if you ask nicely with the CPL/IR application then you get a free - yes FREE IMC. Wahoo.;)

Nashers
22nd Sep 2008, 01:20
if you have an IR already, would that not supersede the IMC anyway? i dont understand why you would worry abt asking them to put an IMC along with your IR on application.

Shunter
22nd Sep 2008, 05:57
An IMC rating is renewed every 25 months, not 12. Also, the test isn't nearly as difficult. If you plan to let your IR lapse and save yourself a chunk of money every year while the market is on its knees, an IMC rating can be nice to have. When you apply for your IR, they will add an IMC rating for free (but you have to ask them to). The other situation in which it can be useful is when you get an airline job; your IR renewals will quickly become multi-pilot which precludes you from exercising it in a recreational capacity flying SEPs in your spare time. An IMC is a convenient addition to retain the majority of those privileges in an easily maintainable rating.

If the CAA offer you something for nowt, you take it! Just another option for the future.

Nashers
22nd Sep 2008, 14:39
darn..... ive learnt that 10 days too late... im expecting my licence back from them any day now! they better atleast fold the licence and put it into the blue book for me, unlike my ppl....

LH2
22nd Sep 2008, 16:21
Is this correct?

Don't know if it's correct to be honest. It's what the examiner told me--I didn't think to put it to the test. :8

Keygrip
22nd Sep 2008, 17:23
It doesn't sound *totally* correct - I suspect some changes in the phraseology as time went by and the memory faded a fraction.

Staff examiner or "authorised"?

The six month could well be for the MEP Class rating - but not the IR-SPA-ME bundle (that's 12 months).

LH2
23rd Sep 2008, 10:53
Staff examiner or "authorised"?

CAA examiner. Note the six months refer to the validity of the CPL skills test. MEP, IR, etc., I'm not talking about that.