PDA

View Full Version : How do short haul planes get delivered?

JohnnyRocket
21st Sep 2008, 01:51
I was driving by Seattle Boeing Field the other day and saw a variety of planes with the liveries of various aielines waiting to be delivered.

One of those on the apron was a Ryanair 737.

How exactly would this be delivered to Dublin from Seattle?

900-7X
21st Sep 2008, 01:56
While I can't answer for a 737, I can say that I've flown short range corporate aircraft to Europe many times. It's quite common to stop enroute. Chicago to Gander New Foundland to Keflavik Iceland to Ireland for example. Gander to Shannon is a very common leg when going further East into Europe as well.

nahsuD
21st Sep 2008, 03:00
I was recently at Bombardier factory in Toronto, and saw a Dash 8 destined fro Australia. I asked the same question and was told that they take the "Eastern route", meaning they go via Europe, Middle East, and Asia island hopping until they get there.

sthaussiepilot
21st Sep 2008, 03:35
I belive its usually hopping around...

Would use full range aboard the A/C with full fuel etc, to get to Dublin
would be flown like a cargo flight, without the cargo...

Double Hydco
21st Sep 2008, 08:04
A mate of mine delivered a RYR 800 from Seattle once. Without a payload (ie pax & bags) the 737NG has quite a range, and if I remember rightly they may have gone via KEF in Iceland?

Cheers, DH

Whitehatter
21st Sep 2008, 09:18
Flyglobespan have flown their 737-800s transatlantically before now. It does have quite a range and would easily reach Dublin with a minimal payload from a stop on the eastern coast of North America.

Somewhere like Gander or St Johns, probably. Keflavik is another alternative, but it should not take any more than one stop from Boeing to Dublin.

Duff beer
21st Sep 2008, 10:38
The route from seattle to europe takes you nicely over plenty of airfields in northern canada, greenland, iceland and northern parts of the british isles.

Not an issue with the new 737's but on the other way round, europe to north america the baby buses may need a top up, especially as youre going against the wind.

Never done it though

1800ed
21st Sep 2008, 12:11
You might also be interested to know that a lot of light aircraft like Cirrus' & Cessnas get flown over on a similar route.

GLOBESPANER
21st Sep 2008, 12:34
Hello

It would more than likley tech Stop in BGR then carry on direct to DUB.

As per previous comment it would surprise you what the NGs can cover!

In my experience the AC would make it no probe direct BIF-DUB

Globespaner

Dan Winterland
21st Sep 2008, 16:51
Our A320s make it from Toulouse to Hong Kong with one tech stop in Dubai.

GLOBESPANER
21st Sep 2008, 16:59
No heavy crew needed, would be noraml 2 FD and would take 4/5 CC, accross the pond!!!

TopBunk
21st Sep 2008, 18:00
Why would you need cabin crew on a delivery flight:confused:

Have flown a new 737-400 direct YMX-LHR (7:20 inc BNN hold!) and landed with about 1.6 tonnes. We had to go Spruce Goose route as APU failed.

BarbiesBoyfriend
21st Sep 2008, 18:10
It's not really an issue.

Short haul a/c -like most a/c- can either

1. Be filled up with fuel

or

2. Be filled up with payload- pax or freight

but never- filled up with both!

So for a short haul a/c to be delivered- fill it up with gas -no payload at all, and away you go!

All that remains is a little applied route planning. Another consideration is that as delivery flights are 'non-revenue', some limitations dont apply.

For example an ERJ-145 in service is restricted to FL370 (due to a limitation that's related to emergency descent times/ pax oxy duration etc)

But regularly ferries at FL 410. Better range due lower fuel burn etc.

GLOBESPANER
21st Sep 2008, 18:10
The question never sepccified delivery it asked would you have to heavy crew transatlantic, was trying to cover my bases, if i hadnt put that they would have come back with "waht about with pax on"!!

barry lloyd
21st Sep 2008, 18:29
Interesting that all the replies so far have related to B737NGs and A3mini series. A sign of the times no doubt!
Far more interesting to deliver an F27 to Oz, or a 748 to Argentina. Now that did tax the brain cells, and some careful planning was definitely required!

jabird
21st Sep 2008, 18:36
Howabout BE's Q400s & E195s?

diddy1234
21st Sep 2008, 22:17
i was wondering what the range would be on a say a 737-900 without pax with max fuel ?

wikipedia quotes "3,060 NM", but doesnt say if its loaded or unloaded.

with reference to the previous poster, id imagine that things would be really tight with an F27 or some sort of Turboprop.

eigjb
21st Sep 2008, 22:31
Ryanair B737-8AS EI-DYP arrived in Dublin on Saturday on its delivery flight direct from Boeing Field (flying time was abount 8 hours).

Its the 177th new B737 delivered to Ryanair and the vast majority of them have routed nonstop to Dublin - although some of the earlier flights did route via Keflavik.

TopBunk
22nd Sep 2008, 06:45
Globespaner, I suugest that you re-read the firs post and its title:hmm:

GLOBESPANER
22nd Sep 2008, 07:49
OK Top

You got me, i put my hands up, my error.....

To answer the question then.

No you would not require tp heavy crew. Just standard 737 FD, CPT & FO
Globespaner

FlightDetent
22nd Sep 2008, 14:19
Under favourable conditions, SkyEurope made it from Seattle To Bratislava (BTS) direct, 737-700. But from what I understand it was only one ship flow in this way.

FD (the un-real)

A and C
22nd Sep 2008, 16:30
Having done Seattle to europe in a B738 perhaps I can help answer the question.

As said above the aircraft can lift a lot of fuel if you dont have any passegers.
This enabled us to climb directly to FL410 reducing the fuel flow to just under 1000Kg/Hr per engine. In this case we opted to stop for fuel at KEF however at the top of drop we found that we did have enough fuel for the final destination Berlin............ but only just enough so we stopped at KEF!

crewmeal
22nd Sep 2008, 19:11
How do Boeing 737's make it across the Pacific to say South East Asia or Australia?

GLOBESPANER
23rd Sep 2008, 06:57
RE Crew

Wewould certainly get our own crew to bring it home and would be very surprised if any other companies didnt do the same.

We only require the 2 FD thats even with a stop. we are currently flying back and forth accross the pond in 73s at the moment so i know that to be fact.

Globespaner