PDA

View Full Version : MIddle Age Career Change

fbrown627
20th Sep 2008, 15:46
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this so excuse me if it should go somewhere else.

When I was in college many years ago, I took flying lessons but before I could finish, both I and the school ran out of money. In those days, if you wore glasses, you weren't getting very far in avaition. ( I wear glasses.)

Fast forward. I'm now 52. I'm thinking of changing careers and getting into flying professionally. If I spend the next year obtaining all my ratings and licenses, what kind of flying opportunities would be available to me? I realize no airline is going to hire me and I"m not really interested in teaching more than a year or so?

Or, is it too late and should I just stick to flying privately. Thanks.

chickentikkamasala
20th Sep 2008, 16:44
Correct. I would say it was too late for a career in the airline industry.
The airline industry is in turmoil at the moment and I would guess the EU has around 800 newly redundant pilots sloshing around. I wouldn't like to say what the situation is like in the US but I guess it would be the same.

Ther are other flying jobs outside of the airlines but these are difficult times so I wouldn't rush into things.

I would obtain your ppl and fly for pleasure at the moment. At a later date you could obtain a FI rating and then go down that route but I wouldn't throw too much money at it for the the time being. Start your ppl enjoy it and keep looking at the situation.

This is probably not what you want to hear right now but I would say many would back me up on this one. Remember whatever you do don't fall for any sales talk from flight schools and take the modular route with whatever you do.

ali1986
20th Sep 2008, 18:04
Ahhh i beg to differ.

Its never too late to do something.

You never know whats round the corner.

But i would take each day as it comes.

But why not go for it if its what you want to do.

Nashers
20th Sep 2008, 18:25
have a read through the stickys on the top of this forum. there is one there about how old is too old to start.

i know quite a few people who have decided on a career change when they are in the middle ages, however they are all 30ish. some have trained with me and others have already finished and got jobs.

chrisbl
20th Sep 2008, 18:59
Try instructing