PDA

View Full Version : UK CAA Multi (etc) conversion from ICAO?

Mark1234
20th Sep 2008, 02:29
I'm an expat brit, dunnunda for the time being, flying on an aus PPL. Seriously considering returning (at some point) and doing the whole modular thing. Meantime, working on building a few hours, and in the most useful ways I can come up with.

So, having sweated my way through LASORS, I know with >100hrs I only need to do air law and R/t to convert, and that I can bring a night rating with me. However, I'm none the wiser on how the CAA regard / recognise ratings aquired on another license - I was particularly thinking that getting multi-piston qualified while here would be a smart move, given the relative rates.

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks.

EGBKFLYER
20th Sep 2008, 18:36
I've had a good dig in LASORS and I agree with you! I did an Oz Multi a few years ago, with the same idea. Can't remember how it all went re conversion but I know that it wasn't worth the effort for me - I just did the JAA course too so didn't save anything overall. I seem to remember something about the CAA not converting the rating unless you had 70 hours P1 or something... hopefully someone else can point us at the relevant reference...

EGBKFLYER
20th Sep 2008, 18:43
... Just thought - from the CAA website in the licencing bit is all the JAR FCL stuff
(http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=90&pageid=7231), which says this amongst other stuff:

At the discretion of the Authority, an aeroplane class or type rating may be issued to an applicant who meets the requirements for that rating of a non-JAA State, provided JAR–FCL 1.250, 1.255 or 1.260 as applicable, are met. Such a rating will be restricted to aeroplanes registered in that non-JAA State, or operated by an operator of that non-JAA State. The restriction may be removed when the holder has completed at least 500 hours of flight as a pilot on thetype/class and complied with the revalidation requirements of JAR–FCL 1.245, and if applicable JAR-FCL 1.251.

Might be missing something (haven't got the will to read all those FCL paras!) but I reckon you'd need 500 multi hours with VH registered aircraft to convert, so no saving there then!:\

Whopity
20th Sep 2008, 19:26
Converting a ME rating is quite simple, pass the Class rating skill test and the written class rating exam at an FTO approved to run ME courses. However you do need 70 hours PIC before the ME rating can be issued.

EGBKFLYER
20th Sep 2008, 19:31
There we go!:D Knew I'd remembered something... Just ignore my previous nonsense!

Mark1234
22nd Sep 2008, 04:01
Many thanks all, guess I'll sit on it for now then :)

Shunter
22nd Sep 2008, 06:06
And don't forget that flying an MEP from the average UK flying school will cost you about a tenner every TWO MINUTES :eek: