PDA

View Full Version : Seatbelt signs - part of MEL?

dns
19th Sep 2008, 18:13
Just been reading a thread on the unofficial forum for cabin crew at my airline, and it's been mentioned that we've got a 747 flying around with a huge number of "minor" technical problems.

One of these is the seatbelt/no smoking signs, which are apparently not working throughout the aircraft.

Is this legal? I thought that these signs were part of the MEL and the aircraft should not be operated without them...

Mister Geezer
19th Sep 2008, 18:36
I recall having to deal with operating a aircraft with inop seat belt signs and I was surprised that our MEL allowed us to despatch with the signs inop on that particular occasion.

If you have pax who speak a variety of languages and may not understand the crew then getting ground staff (of whoever) to explain the situation before you go in any local languages, will be a big benefit. Thankfully we just had a 50 min sector so I told all the pax that they were not allowed to leave their seats since that avoided any confusion helped to put to stop to people getting out of their seats and possibly injuring themselves when they should really be sitting down!!!

L337
19th Sep 2008, 18:45
One of these is the seatbelt/no smoking signs, which are apparently not working throughout the aircraft.

Is it one sign. A row of signs, a section in a cabin or all the signs in the the aircraft?

We need more information.

jimpy1979uk
19th Sep 2008, 19:15
From the MEL of a 747-400,

33-24-1

Passenger notice system (no smoking/fasten seat belt/return to cabin) signs.

Retifiction Cat C 10 Days

There's two options for dispatch, one is to make all seats/attendent seats/lavatories without access to a viewable sign unusable or the PA system must be operational and all announcments are made every time seat belts should be fastened or smoking prohibited. This allows the affected seats/attendent seats/lavatories to be used.

This is a little shortened version of whats in the MEL but hope you get the idea, I guess this is similar for most transport category aircraft.

spannersatcx
19th Sep 2008, 19:24
MEL states:

a) One or more signs may be inoperative and affected passenger or cabin attendant seats may be occupied provided:
1) Passenger address system is operative, and can be clearly heard throughout the cabin during the flight, and
2) Passenger address system is used to alert the cabin attendants and passengers when to return to seat, seat belts should be fastened and
smoking is prohibited, and
3) Call and cabin interphone
systems are operative.
- or -
[b) One or more “NO SMOKING/FASTEN SEAT BELTS” signs may be
inoperative provided:]
1) No seat is occupied from which a passenger cannot readily see a legible “NO SMOKING/FASTEN SEAT BELT” sign or placard, and
2) That seat is blocked and placarded accordingly.

Phil1980's
19th Sep 2008, 19:35
@L337.........He said one of these in the list is the no smoking "signs" so I will presume it's "signs" not sign

Intruder
19th Sep 2008, 21:05
Ours (747 Classic) says:
25-14 “Fasten Seat Belt While Seated” Signs or Placards

C

One or more signs or placards may be illegible or missing provided a legible sign or placard is readable from each occupied passenger seat.

NigelOnDraft
19th Sep 2008, 22:02
dns Is this legal? I thought that these signs were part of the MEL and the aircraft should not be operated without them...:eek: If they are part of the MEL, then in general you can operate without them, subject to the MEL restrictions.

If they are not in the MEL, then you cannot operate without them ;)

At least I hope it is that way round, else I'd better give up the day job :ugh:

NoD