PDA

View Full Version : Safety in China

esinclair21
18th Sep 2008, 22:55
Hi everyone. I have some general questions for anyone who has flown in China. I'm wondering what the safety culture tends to be like there. Are the maintenance programs on par with what you would see in Europe or America? Does management back up decisions made in the interest of safety? What about the actual infrastructure (ground based navaids, etc...)? In other words, would you expect to be flying a lot of NDB approaches in the mountains? I'm just trying to get a general feel for what flying would be like for Grand China Express on the safety front.

I don't mean any of this as an insult to China or the airlines that operate there. Just covering my bases!

Thanks.

watchyourairspeed
19th Sep 2008, 12:34
Oh no! Here we go again.:{

oicur12
19th Sep 2008, 12:53
Depends on where you will be flying.

Most airports will be ILs and probably Radar too.

Generally long runways.

ATC is not bad - totally inefficient and generally illogical but in my 5 years I have not seen a TCAS RA or event that could become a near miss. One thing to beware of when the wx turns nasty - they have a habit of closing airports or airways and letting you fend for yourself to some divert field you have never been to before.

ATC English not the best at provincial airports or even major airports but you will get used to it. Major airports always have the supervisor close by to take over when you have an issue or emergency (as a colleague did in pek and it was well handled by ATC)

China is getting better but is now western europe or US standard, but it is better than average for the region.

esinclair21
19th Sep 2008, 15:16
Great. Thanks for the helpful reply.

JotaJota
22nd Sep 2008, 02:47
Grand China Express? What recruiting co are you using? Aircraft going to? Thanks