PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Question Please

johnc21
18th Sep 2008, 11:22
(need an answer soon)...ebay you know..

Afternoon all

I have seen an offer for Jeppeson ATPL manuals.I reckon they can be purchased at a reasonable discount from a source.

What I would like to know is if I was to purchase these manuals,can one apply to sit the exams at their leisure ( I don't believe this to be the case) but I would like to know is their any way to study at leisure and then go to an FTO and enrol in a DL course without getting bombarded with their costs for thier particular notes, or is it neccessary to give in and purchase their notes and then apply for the exams?

Thanks in advance for any help

John

Whirlygig
18th Sep 2008, 13:18
Unless you have thousands of hours via an ICAO commercial licence, you would have to enrol, and pay for, a full ATPL course under JAA rules. There are certain stipulations in that there is a minimum number of groundschool self-study and class room hours required.

If however, you wish to start some self-study with some second hand manuals whilst you are hour-building (say), then there's no reason why not but you would still have to pay for a full course.

You may want to check with a course provider, but quite often the fee payable is valid for a few years so you could enrol now and start studying. However, you have to bear in mind that you can only attend 6 exam sittings which means that you can't just do 2 or 3 exams at a time.

Cheers

Whirls

mcgoo
18th Sep 2008, 13:32
However, you have to bear in mind that you can only attend 6 exam sittings which means that you can't just do 2 or 3 exams at a time

4 sittings of 3 exams = 12
1 sitting of 2 exams = 2
total = 14

1 sitting left for any resits???

eikido
18th Sep 2008, 13:45
Damn that sounds like a good idea mcgoo.

I'd love to do that and probably will do that.

Or even count for 2 resettings.

So what if i sit 6 and don't pass? Would one have to reenroll?

Eikido

Dane-Ger
18th Sep 2008, 15:24
I wouldn't worry about sitting the exams over 6 sittings. Once you get into the rhythm of studying it's not as daunting as it first seems.

Depending on which school you choose, you can do 2 or 3 modules. I personally chose 3 to spread the load, but now looking back I'm sure I could have coped with two modules just as well.

Remember, many of the subjects are interlinked, and there are some basic principles, that if you understand them, will go a long way

regards
D-G

Capt Loop
19th Sep 2008, 20:19
Although I did my ATPL's through distance learning I also purchased the Oxford Manuals to supplement the reading.

Whirlygig is right in that unless you are exempt a training course everyone applying for the exams needs the signature of the chief ground instructor prior to applying for the exams.

Most schools run the training over 2 or 3 modules. I prefer the three module route as most exams are interlinked ie Gen Nav and Flight Planning. Performance and Principles of Flight. etc

Cabair do the course in 4 modules. London University in 3 modules. Bristol and most others are in 2 modules.

Personally I would suggest doing as many as you can in each module.

The main rules are the 18 months from the first exam pass to take and pass ALL the exams. No more than 6 visits to the exam centre and if you fail a paper 4 times then you have to start ALL the exams AGAIN.

Good luck, on anyone doing the ATPL's. I NEVER, thankfully have to do the ATPL exams again.:)

johnc21
20th Sep 2008, 07:22
Morning folks

Thank you all for your answers and help.

John

acoulson
20th Sep 2008, 18:56
Do the ATPL exam passes expire ? What I'm concerned about is, is there a time period after successful completion of all 14 ATPL exams, that I would need to complete CPL/IR flight training ?
Many thanks, and my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere already,
Andy

Capt Loop
20th Sep 2008, 19:12
36 months, in which you must pass CPL AND IR flight test.

Lasors Section J - 1.7

acoulson
20th Sep 2008, 19:18
Thanks Captain, and for the LASORS ref,
Andy