PDA

View Full Version : Pax exit aircraft after pilot mentions "Madrid"

txl
18th Sep 2008, 08:05
As the Air Berlin incident (http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/343342-scared-pax-force-air-berlin-replace-aircraft.html) makes the news, reporters pick up related storys. A German newspaper, citing passengers, reports a similar story from Heraklion, where 14 passengers refused to board a TUIfly plane bound for Cologne after the PIC announced some problems with the thrust reverser and allegedly made a reference to "Madrid".

Prior to take off, the Captain reportedly explained that there was an issue with the thrust reverser that couldn't be resolved and that in order to kill the warning lights the reverser would be mechanically disabled. The aircraft still would be perfectly fit to fly, as the reverser wouldn't be needed, especially not on Cologne's long runway.

Talking to the passengers face-to-face (good choice), the pilot then allegedly said something along the line of "Madrid isn't far, still this is a standard procedure". Asked for more explanations, the passengers -- according to the report -- we're given technical details they didn't understand. The episode prompted 14 passengers to exit the plane while mechanics were working on the reverser. They were flown home on another plane leaving that day. The airline regretted that the pilot's remark was a bit ambiguous.

While this shows that chosing the right words can be crucial, it's also a good example of how media spin their stories to jazz the excitement up a little. Ignoring that this is a routine precaution, the aircraft in question is labeled "problem-plane". German website "Spiegel online" (affiliated with the once respected magazine, but a little too much on the SUNnny side of Fleet Street for my taste), despite not being on the scene and essentially rehashing the newspaper's account, chose a "scenic" introduction to the story: "They were in panic, just wanted to get out". Nicely done, chaps.

(This was supposed to be an addition to the Air Berlin thread to get it back on track, but I see mods closed it down).

VAFFPAX
18th Sep 2008, 10:45
Der Spiegel is as sensationalist as the best British tabloids... More often than not their tone in their articles turns me off reading the publication, even if they come up with some good exposés.

Bild and Bunte are not far behind.

S.

SXB
18th Sep 2008, 11:23
As regards the confusion of the destination, crews are often momentarily confused. How many times have you heard the FA or the pilots pause slightly before they mention the destination ? It doesn't mean they are going to fly to the wrong city it's just they fly to a lot of different places and the brain needs to process that information in the context of what they are doing at the time.

As for the pilot giving technical explanations this probably illustrates why most FD crew stick to generalised information without going into specifics. Because, what's the point ? Most passengers are not going to understand the implications of a particular technical limitation. Also, this TUI flight looks like it was, possibly, flying package tourists home from holiday. These passengers may well have been infrequent travellers who only 'survive' a flight once per year. More frequent travellers understand that aircraft operate under very strict rules.

apaddyinuk
18th Sep 2008, 13:49
Im only cabin crew but even for me (and I dont have much to remember) I sometimes forget where we are flying to!!! On some occassions when im doing the landing PA I find myself looking out the window to see where we are. Why I think looking out the window will help me figure out what airport we landed will help it generally doesnt!!! :ugh:

SXB
18th Sep 2008, 22:58
Apaddyinuk
This happens to pax as well. I was on a AF flight recently and slept most of the way, one of the FA's woke me as we approached the airport and I was convinced we were arriving at CDG and I would soon be home....only to find out we had landed in Yerevan....then it all came back to me as I woke up properly......I often get a similar sensation when I wake up in a hotel room, it takes me a few seconds to work out where I am.

txl
19th Sep 2008, 06:21
Well, I didn't take the pilot's Madrid reference as a mix-up of destinations, and obviousloy so didn't the passengers. This might have been lost in translation, and newer reports say the pilot's exact phrase may have been different. The word "Madrid" reportedly said by the captain was understood as a reference to the Spanair accident at Madrid. With recent media speculations about possible reverser problems with the Spanair plane, the remark obviously made some people nervous.

Final 3 Greens
19th Sep 2008, 07:31
As for the pilot giving technical explanations this probably illustrates why most FD crew stick to generalised information without going into specifics

Quite right. On Monday last I flew out to BRU and the captain apologised for the delay due to "flow restrictions due to a non precision approach in operation on xx left."

I understood exactly what he meant (as I have PPL) but there were some pretty confused expressions in the cabin :}

PAXboy
19th Sep 2008, 09:36
apaddyinukcabin crew but even for me (and I don't have much to remember) I sometimes forget where we are flying to!!Reminds me of a story (to lighten the moment, I hope). On EZY some years ago when I was shuttling LTN~EDI for six months and was perfectly capable of forgetting which direction I was pointing in, leave alone the crew who might have been to GLA and EDI in the same day.

Taxying off the active at EDI late on a Sunday evening, already dark outside and the 'Welcome' pa is being given: "Ladies and Gentlemen, EasyJet would like to welcome you to ...<pause> ..." Immediately the pax shouted in chorus EDINBURGH!!!!

The Real Slim Shady
19th Sep 2008, 10:09
Im only cabin crew but even for me (and I dont have much to remember) I sometimes forget where we are flying to!!!

On a bmi flight to BRU the #1 was giving the welcome on board PA " welcome on board this bmi flight to......." at that point she then opened the flight deck door and said "Where are we going?"

VAFFPAX
19th Sep 2008, 17:48
Aer Lingus recently:

"Welcome to Aer Lingus flight 184 to Dublin."

Except - we WERE in Dublin...

S.

amber 1
19th Sep 2008, 21:36
"Welcome to Aer Lingus flight 184 to Dublin."

In the 1970's, at the height of the Irish Troubles, we used to do regular NCL-BFS-NCL-DUB-NCL rotations. One day one of the girls said DUB instead of BFS by mistake on the PA. This caused great consternation among some Orange men who thought they were going to end up in the South. I think they also tried to exit the aeroplane!

Sorry, just trying to keep it light.