PDA

View Full Version : Two Jaa to FAA questions

ock1f
17th Sep 2008, 20:08
1) I have a JAA ppl and want to convert it FAA ppl using the based upon method.

Having done all the paperwork and just waiting to pick it up I would like to know is it valid without doing a BFR? Bear in mind i will not be flying or renting in the US.

While on this subject when i pick up my temporary licence will i get a 'proper one' sent to me at a later date with or without having done the BFR? Does a cfi inform the FAA that ppl number 1234 has completed the BFR or not?

2) For the based upon licnece do i need a FAA medical for it to be valid as lomg as my JAR medical licence is valid?

Ta very much

Shunter
17th Sep 2008, 20:17
No FAA medical required. You FAA license will be valid as long as your JAA license and medical are valid.

Your nice little FAA credit-card license will drop through the post regardless of whether you have a BFR or not.

The requirement for a BFR is questionable. Several independent FAA offices have stated that it is NOT required for based-on licenses. That requirement is satisfied by your SEP renewal. I have it in writing that it is not required, as do several other forum members. I've been checked recently when flying on my FAA license and the inspector phoned Oklahoma to verify said paperwork and subsequently OK'd it (I did have a valid BFR sign-off, but it never got that far). I can guarantee that 100% of US facilities would require evidence of a BFR before renting you an aircraft though...

ock1f
17th Sep 2008, 20:27
Ta Shunter , i know that you wont rent anything at all without a bfr in teh US but as i fly a n-reg over here renting in the USA is not my reason for getting the faa licence.

Any FAA cfi like soCAl app or others care to comment?

B2N2
18th Sep 2008, 11:28
The BFR ( Flight review) is required.
The following quote is from FAA order 8900 which is the FAA inspector's Handbook.

I. Advise Applicant of Part 61 and Part 91 Rules and Requirements. Advise the applicant about the rules and requirements contained in 14 CFR part 61 , Certification: Pilot, flight instructors, and ground instructors; and in 14 CFR part 91 (flight review requirements, recency of experience requirements, required logbook entries, etc.). As a point of emphasis, make clear to the applicant that a flight review (see § 61.56 ) must be administered by the holder of an FAA flight instructor certificate with the appropriate ratings before he/she may exercise the privileges of his/her U.S. pilot certificate. The proficiency checks administered by a foreign flight instructor do not count as meeting the flight review requirements of § 61.56 .

Total text is here:

Flight Standards Information System (FSIMS) (http://fsims.faa.gov/PICResults.aspx?mode=AreasOfInterests&area=05&subject=02&regulation=61)

5th from the bottom up. Almost at the end of the document is where you can find the above quoted text.