PDA

View Full Version : XLs slots

T250
17th Sep 2008, 19:18
Not sure if this is the correct area to post, however mods can remove and relocate if necessary ;)

I'm curious as to what happens regarding XLs slots in terms of ATC and flow management? I understand that they operated routes from Gatwick to Sanford, Florida throughout the year so these must have required slots and likewise with their European charter routes.
Was wondering whether their slots are re-allocated or who has/is buying/bought them since their collapse last week.

niknak
20th Sep 2008, 17:34
An unusual quirk of the Civil Aviation Act that Gatwick Airport Ltd under the guise of BAA (or the Other way around), may be owed the net worth or more of these slots and therefore will have first call upon them.

Normally when any business goes tits up, the liquidator is obliged to consider preferred creditors (secured creditors) 1st and everyone else second, but in the airline industry a landing slot is considered to be a "secured asset" i.e. it is secured by the fact that the airline has to keep operating and paying the bills to keep the slot, so the airport effectively owns the slot - the airline leases it.

Consequently, the company liquidator doesn't get a look in, Gatwick own the slots and they will almost certainly be negotiating now with new customers for them

PPRuNe Radar
20th Sep 2008, 20:32
The slots are not ATC or Flow Management slots, as these are not for sale or tradeable.

They are airport slots, usually co-ordinated by the airport or a third party working for the airport, such as ACL (http://www.acl-uk.org/).

You might find more info on their website by clicking the link and using their reference library.

Buster the Bear
20th Sep 2008, 21:29
easyJet were allegedly considering a take over of XL, but decided to wait and get the slots for free, cause that is all they wanted.

jettesen
21st Sep 2008, 11:19
easyJet were NEVER looking to buy / takeover excel. That was one big rumour. Why would they want excel - an all boeing fleet, when they are rapidly speeding up the exit process of their own boeing fleet to replace with new A319?
However they have already got 67% of xl slots since their demise