PDA

View Full Version : The old Apron Control/Ops Tower at EGCC

CMM
17th Sep 2008, 15:21
Hello folks,

I was just wondering if anybody has any photographs from inside the "mini tower" at Manchester which is located right next to T1. It's one of those strange little places which makes the mind think "I wonder what it's like...", especially when you're so used to seeing it from the outside rather than from within.

Any information on it at all would be most welcome, and pictures even more so!

Many thanks,

CMM.

JackRalston
17th Sep 2008, 17:47
The small tower on T1 is used for Apron Control. I was up there in 2005 for a Y11 work experience. The view is pretty good but you are restricted on T3 due to the angle.

It has two levels, the upper level consists of a semi circle of monitors and seats with a whiteboard behind you which is used to decide on which a/c to be on which remote stands overnight. Above, suspended from the ceiling are monitor showing all flights and the assigned gates, similar to what is found in the Control Tower.

The lower level mainly has filing equipment and cabinets etc. There is still space to move around though. Its a great spot to work in. I would love to work in Apron Control but i still can't find a suitable contact for MAN.

1station
17th Sep 2008, 18:14
Apron have now moved to the tower block and the old tower is supposed to be developed into an executive lounge.

CMM
17th Sep 2008, 20:48
Yeh, one of the ATCA's at Manchester confirmed that it's going to be a VIP lounge, and the information regarding the layout is very interesting. Any more info, especially photos would be welcomed! :)