PDA

View Full Version : A horse called Mig

Strangelove PhD
17th Sep 2008, 15:13
THE MoD IS KILLING ME - iReport.com (http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-40592)

A sad tale but the ironic name of the horse made me chuckle….

The title 'THE MoD IS KILLING ME' is a tad harsh, I suspect there are many UK service personel around the globe just now with more of a claim on that phrase than a wee lassie riding horses in the Glenns.

A few days ago we filmed a huge HERCULES Transporter flying along the edge of our front garden.
This aircraft was no more than 40 FEET ABOVE THE GROUND. Something the MoD say they never do! The permitted height these immense planes are allowed to fly at is 250 feet.
Don't they know what their pilots are doing or more to the point do they choose to ignore the blatant disregard of the MoD's own rules and regulations!!!
How could any pilot avert disaster in the event of a power failure when flying at this height. If they want to kill themselves by daring to fly so low, then that is up to them. Don't risk taking innocent lives in the process.

cornish-stormrider
17th Sep 2008, 15:32
I am registering with this site to "comment"

:}:}

Postman Plod
17th Sep 2008, 15:37
If they want credibility, then they should publish this movie and let everyone decide whether its 40ft of 250ft.

Gainesy
17th Sep 2008, 15:43
What's wrong with killing MiGs then?:suspect:

Big G-75
17th Sep 2008, 15:44
THE MoD IS KILLING ME (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sarahvmodlowflying/) Added 28 June 2008. Number of signatures..... 1, herself.

I think that kind of speaks for itself.

brickhistory
17th Sep 2008, 15:56
That's right, Nigel, I am dangerous!

cue Kenny Loggins' music.....

The Helpful Stacker
17th Sep 2008, 15:57
Last week FIVE low jets flew over our stallion paddock and the lovely grey horse shown on my profile badly injured his leg

Perhaps this old line needs to be dug out. "Did those jets have red stars on their wings madam?"

As an aside, I regularly ride horses and even though I've ridden in a few low flying hotspots (including LFA's near Odiham) I've never had problems with a horse being spooked by an aircraft. Unfortunately many riders forget they are riding a creature that has a will of its own and instead of paying attention at all times drift off and are unprepared for unexpected eventualities.

The only time I've ever experienced a horse I was riding being spooked it was caused by a very small rabbit popping out of a hedgerow ahead but its also common for horses to be spooked by things as simple as a discarded crisp bag!

BEagle
17th Sep 2008, 16:03
I ALWAYS used to slow down when passing a string of race horses on my way to work......

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

It gave me so much more time to lust at the pert young stable girls in their skin tight jodhpurs.....:E

airborne_artist
17th Sep 2008, 16:13
Agreed THS - we have one four-legged beast that spooks at leaves that are the wrong way round.

They are an accident waiting to happen - a friend had one break a leg turned out in the paddock on its own. Doesn't stop the compensation culture expecting a cheque from the MoD, though.

c130jbloke
17th Sep 2008, 17:16
Just vented my spleen on her site :yuk::yuk::yuk:

airborne_artist
17th Sep 2008, 17:21
Note that it's just her report, as the site says:

http://www.ireport.com/themes/custom/resources/irb/banner.gif

So no checking of sources, no investigation, just one person's opinion. Not worth the paper it isn't written on IMHO.

High_lander
17th Sep 2008, 17:59
There is another story (http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-55953).

Happy days.

Oldandgrey
17th Sep 2008, 18:20
Surely if this family are dragging the RAF/MOD through the courts over this, someone would have put a NOTAM over it by now??:suspect:

airborne_artist
17th Sep 2008, 18:26
So she fell off. Riders fall off their horses all the time. They are one of the most common reasons for the launch of air ambulances, despite riding being a fairly minority sport.

It looks very like just another example of someone using the media to get attention - if it wasn't horses there would be another reason.

The Helpful Stacker
17th Sep 2008, 18:37
Does she point out the age of the house she lives in (in her profile) to try and garner support for a "we were here first" argument?

knowitall
17th Sep 2008, 20:03
"So she fell off. Riders fall off their horses all the time. They are one of the most common reasons for the launch of air ambulances, despite riding being a fairly minority sport."

indeed the lincs and notts air ambulance apparenlty now attends more horse riding accidents than motorbike accidents!

the Woman bleating on lincs FM a couple of weeks ago also complained that falling off a horse really hurts as well

Frankly if an individual not prepared to take the consequences off falling off a horse they've no business getting on one in the first place

chiglet
17th Sep 2008, 21:21
Posted a "Positive" reply...:E
watp,iktch

XV277
17th Sep 2008, 22:15
So she fell off. Riders fall off their horses all the time. They are one of the most common reasons for the launch of air ambulances, despite riding being a fairly minority sport.

It looks very like just another example of someone using the media to get attention - if it wasn't horses there would be another reason.

They moved there not that long ago - if you do a search, there was a thread when her mother started the CoS case against the MOD. They want a NOTAM over their farm, which just happens to be on one of the low fly routes. They claimed they bought it in December and there weren't any jets then.

In the 80s, she'd have had 50 jets a day over her.

octavian
18th Sep 2008, 13:02
Perhaps they should paint a large sign on the roof of one of their barns saying "P*ss off Biggles" It had a definite effect when done in North Wales in the eighties. Cue link to previous thread and photos.

Benjybh
18th Sep 2008, 13:15
Our forces no longer fly low in combat as too many aircraft were shot from the sky. There are better, safer ways of providing ground cover etc.

:ugh: Honestly.