PDA

View Full Version : Spotting - General Courtesy

Flying_Anorak
16th Sep 2008, 23:18
Spotting - an appeal for courtesy

Since we've had to put those horrible unsightly G-Registrations on our otherwise smooth and shiny gliders, the club of which I'm Chairman, regularly seems to attract the attention of spotters. Now I have no problem with this and mindful of what got me into this wonderful hobby in the past, I will do all that I can to help you - heck I've even been known to offer you the use of the club's facilities (i.e. loo and kettle!).

But one thing that really is starting to irritate is the few spotters who seem to think they have a god given right to walk into our hanger and workshop (which is on an RAF airfield BTW!) without even the common courtesy of asking! Spotting (no pun intended) a stranger wandering around the other week with a notepad I enquired if he would like to see the gliders that were out of sight in a closed workshop? "No thanks mate - I've already got them" was the reply that I got!

Now I'm sure most spotters are polite and respectful of private property, but to those that are not - you are doing your colleagues and hobby no justice and are alienating those that can help you and whose support and co-operation you rely on. Please stop and ask - courtesy costs nothing!

Okay, rant over!

Ms Spurtle
17th Sep 2008, 11:54
Get some German Shepherds.
Or a shotgun.

PPRuNe Pop
17th Sep 2008, 15:07
A very fair point.

I have many experiences of the same thing in my hangars in years past and some spotters seem to think that they can wander wherever they like. Take note, you cannot.

Not only is it trespass it is downright rude and shows incredibly bad manners. And there is another reason. You are not insured to walk around hangars, so should you cut your head open on a prop - or worse - you are to blame.

Not one single person has an obligation to show you, let you, invite you or give you the OK to enter or view his aircraft.

Ask! You may well get refused but you might also be lucky. Don't take it for granted that you can wander where you like.

Decency and good manners cost nothing.

PPP

beefster
17th Sep 2008, 20:45
I wouldnt dare look round without asking and i am quite sure have never been refused anywere. As you say a few manners cost nothing and sometimes go along way

NutLoose
17th Sep 2008, 21:33
We used to use bodge tape to alter the reg on some in frustration... we had some Russian Military Hardware come into the Country many moons ago and was being worked on outside, so I changed its registration to a Vatican one with some judicious use of tape :}

englishkev
18th Sep 2008, 23:10
As a spotter all I can say is what an ignorant bad mannered idiot.Our hobby is difficult enough these days without prats like this wandering around as if they own the place.

I always work on the principle when I visit a place,what is the worst thing that can happen is that someone will say no.

It only takes two minutes of our time and most of the time the answer is in the positive and you get to see things hidden away which you wouldn't see if you are bad mannered enough not to ask.

Bad manners+aircraft spotters = bad news for us all

Rant over

drivez
19th Sep 2008, 21:47
It's downright rude to wander around someone elses property and treat there aircraft that they have worked hard to get like a piece of dirt. In my experience Airfields and flying clubs are extremely open kind organisations that do allow people to look at their kit.

Thanks to all you guys that let us spotters wet our appetites for aviation.:D

Icare9
20th Sep 2008, 08:51
reminds me of my childhood and wandering round Southend (ex Rochford) and by fairly disused footpaths near the golf club you could come out by what was then Channel Airways hangars over the farside to the terminal. I remember there was a rusting framework of an old fuelage tucked between the fence and hangar, plus what seemed to be a huge dump of fairly massive engines, mostly crated. Oh,and exploring the old "wreckage dump" for what I imagined were WW2 wrecks.
I remember that there was very little activity around the hangars and that in the back of one were stored dismantled Rapides, As I say, many years ago, so I'm sure that's all gone now.... Had there been anyone around, I might have asked, but at the time it was just good exploring fun and fuelled my interest in aviation. Well, that and those NOISY Bristol Freighters, Vikings, Carvairs and Viscounts that flew almost at roof height over my house. As a "spotter" I always had warning of an approach as TV would flicker and roll faster the nearer the aircraft was!!!

robin
20th Sep 2008, 23:08
I agree. When spotters visit our hangar - and we are generally pleased to have people show an interest - we do warn them not to touch anything, as some are in various states of repair and on blocks.

But it annoys me when they insist on uncovering the wings or fuselages to pick up the registrations. The last time the two spotters unclipped a set of cockpit covers and failed to reconnect them.

However I reserve my distain for the arrogant and nasty 'air show' photographers. They are in a different league of inconsiderateness...:ugh:

JEM60
21st Sep 2008, 06:13
Good and bad in both in both hobbies, I'm afraid. Photographers generally don't like spotters, and vice versa. Three rules of flying. Airspeed, airspeed, airspeed. Three rules of Aviation Spotting etc. MANNERS MANNERS MANNERS.

retiredandloveit
21st Sep 2008, 07:21
I'm not a hobby photographer and I don't note registrations, I do have a keen interest in aircraft, radio comms and aviation in general and I enjoy the occasional day at an airfield with a scanner.
Unfortunately those who take the trouble to reply on such a forum as this would tend, I suspect, to be the more respectful type of spectator. You are unlikely to elicit a reply from the 'others'.
Its a well made point though but please, those of you in the industry, don't tar us all with the same brush.

Gulf4uk
21st Sep 2008, 12:35
hi

Where did the idea Photographers do not like Spotters come from ?
Never seen any bad Feeling between them. I dont collect numbers
either but i go out of my way to help those that Do . I Take pictures
as well some not very good as do many others and i have always
Found those are are good most helpfull With Advise .
I Like all aviation and Transport for that Matter and down the years
have met some Really nice people both in the Hobby and out but
also there have been a minority who Spoil it for Everyone and a few
Jobsworths that need to engage Brain before speaking.
Yesterday for example I was posted a few Pictures of Lasham taken
from Airborne Source with permission to use on my Lasham forums
these are nice People who posted those and I added my thanks
for that on forum. these were posted for all to Share spotters
non spotters everyone .
Already Said on Here MANNERS are everything PLEASE THANKS
be helpfull to anyone even NON Spotters who shows an interest
makes you Feel good As Well
The people who ruin Everyones Hobby and life are a very Sad
minority . The majority of spotters and Aviation minded are
Great people .

Tony
farnborough

JEM60
21st Sep 2008, 15:10
Hi, Gulf. I guess I was a bit strong about spotters and photographers. As I am neither, but in contact with both, I guess I have seen both groups in trouble, both here and abroad. A lot of photographers tend to belittle 'spotting', because they don't see anything in it. 'Neither do I, but I don't run down other peoples hobbies!!]

Gulf4uk
21st Sep 2008, 15:33
hi

Thanks Saying that goes to show we can live with Each other , Some people
see bird spotting , train and bus Spotting as odd but each to there own
and I do both those as well see My Books\mags all carefully looked after
Yes very odd that as well but its what we do
When people go Abroad our Hobby's are rarely Understood especially Plane spotting the term they Use Certain county's police \security are Hostile but its no excuse on our part for not checking things out first often a call to an
Embassy might help or a request on line one of the groups for any members
who have visited that area . Its a fact most problems are down to lack of
information and frustration when a few minutes research might solve things
One thing I Suggest doing in keeping an up to date Aircraft Mag in your
Bag to Show Security\plod explain Friendly odd British Pastimes We are all
Mad the Brits ,

Tony

JEM60
21st Sep 2008, 17:41
When I meet people who discover my interest in aircraft, they ALWAYS say'Ah, you're a plane spotter, do you know those spotters arrested in Greece....] In my time, I have been a Glider Pilot, Power Pilot, Skydiver, and have travelled the world videoing Airshows, etc., I have always denied being a spotter, and I use the term 'Aviation Enthusiast' Which is MUCH more acceptable to Airfield Managers in far flung places, and therefore one gets better co-operation from them, particularly in South Africa, where they fell over themselves to help us out, supplying a fireman and his truck to show us everything at Rand and Wonderboom . Courtesy call to Airfield management before we left England, and everything laid on. So perhaps we should try and update our image a litlle??????

Visual06
22nd Sep 2008, 19:49
Just as evidence that a little courtesy goes along way, on Saturday I paid a visit Turweston Aerodrome (Nothamptonshire) A quick visit to the tower on arrival to ask if it would be ok to take a few photos was greeted by a warm welcome from the controller, I was allowed full access to the apron plus he pointed me in the direction of the hangars:), If theres anyone on here who frequents the field please pass on my thanks

NutLoose
26th Sep 2008, 12:43
I don't mind them in all fairness if THEY ASK, but what rankles is when people wander in as if they own the place and it is their God given right to be there. I now rarely let them in because of it.

I too take Photographs and I sometimes witness Jobsworths in the extreme, we had a large 4 engined contra rotating russian prop job come in, in fact the largest, and I was standing on my side of the fence where I could get a picture fine, someone had turned up the other side and set up some steps to see over the fence and security turned up and asked him to leave "as his steps were deemed to be a security threat".
I pointed out he was not anywhere near the fence, was not planning to get over it as we were all there (about 10 of us) and as it was landing why not just let him get his shots and he would go happily on his way.... He could stand with him for the minute it would take him, but no, he had to leave then and there........ Muppets, pay peanuts and you sadly get monkeys.