View Full Version : Training in the U.S and some advice!!!

callum
16th Sep 2008, 21:58
hi guys, im nearly 16 and have always wanted to become a commercial pilot. i have got backing from both of my parents and shold be getting the grades i need. my question is if i do my jaa ppl,atpl in the U.S will it be hard or even impossible to get employed when i return to the uk.

p.s are there any pilots here that live in bermondsey, rotherhithe SE london and if there is any chance we can meet and have a chat.

thanks
callum

JohnGV
17th Sep 2008, 03:18
Hi callum,

Im in canada, I gained my PPL out here and will be returnin in october, i live in west sussex.

Im not a professional but if you wanted to talk to someone who has experience of the Canadian/US setup Id be more than happy to meet you for a chat, id even love to take you flyin if you like??!!

Talk soon man
JV

greenslopes
17th Sep 2008, 03:25
Ask the U.K CAA I landed in the U.K with an Australian ATPL with 5000Hrs on Turbo props and had to do all the exams again in order to achieve the U.K ATPL. So whilst it may be cheaper to get the hours O'seas the O'seas licence may not count at all towards the UK/JAR licence.
Good luck and speak to the authorities directly as they will provide the most correct info.

callum
17th Sep 2008, 07:11
okn thanks for that advice guys. the CAA headquaters is not too far from me so do you think its worth goin down there.

INNflight
17th Sep 2008, 07:30
Hi Callum,

The US licenses are FAA.

The European ones are JAA.

Hence, if you do your JAA training in the USA (only a few flight training organisations are approved to do that, maybe 4 or 5 at the moment), you can return to Europe and won't have a problem (generally, getting the first employment is hard of course).

All JAA licenses will be valid in Europe, no matter if you got them in the UK, the US or South Africa :ok:

callum
17th Sep 2008, 08:45
ok. i was planning on doing my jaa license with ormond beach aviation. they look quite good and the prices are very appealing.:)

callum
17th Sep 2008, 15:07
that is what im planing on doing. i am going to college to do a-levels do you think it is worth going to university?

Mickey Kaye
17th Sep 2008, 16:01
No I don't think it worth going to uni - you wont be driven (and as a pilot would a degree be any use to you?)

Fly first if then it all goes wrong e.g. lose medical then go to Uni. You'll apply yourself then bigstyle.

SparksFlyHigh
17th Sep 2008, 16:05
There is a lot of discussion on the option of university or not. I am still deciding and have been for the last year or so. In short, I think the two main points to note when deciding are:

Get a degree - Its a great back up, good life experience and may put you ahead of other candiates on the maybe pile of c.v's. (note may because I have never heard of an airline stating that a degree is required.

Don't go to university - You don't need a degree to be a pilot, its expensive and it makes you three of four years older. That time could be spent working to earn enough money to do the fATPL debt free, or if you have the money, you could easily have an fATPL by the time you would have finished university.

In regards to Ormond Beach Aviation, i picked this flight school and two others in Florida to go and visit to get a real feel for them, rather than the glossy magazines and colourful, flash orientated websites.

I must admit, before going and visiting i was leaning towards OBA, they seemed to have everything i wanted and were well organized. However, when I arrived I was shown around the school and facilities by a receptionist/admin assistant or whatever. Apparently no-one else was available to talk to me (not even an instructor), so I was left feeling a bit un-welcomed. Another school I visited the next day were very busy, yet the boss-man was called and went out of his way to show me around and have a long chat.

This isn't a bash at OBA, but before you make any decisions, assess all the options, because one flight school may appear better than another on the outside but you really need to be there talking to someone to base a decision on it.

nh2301
17th Sep 2008, 16:06
As always, don't waste your money on a JAA PPL in the US. An FAA PPL can be used in England. It's cheaper, is a better licence, gives you more choice of much better schools, and gets you better training.

callum
17th Sep 2008, 16:24
i never knew that you could use a faa atpl in euroupe?

JohnGV
17th Sep 2008, 17:16
You cant use an faa atpl in europe - you can use ur faa PPL in europe bud

eninem
17th Sep 2008, 20:25
Sure can't. That's why so many underpaid high hours pilots from the US don't just come over here and earn much better wages flying in Yarp.

My PPL FI in Florida had 3000 hours and was delighted to gain a job with a regional after years of trying - $28,000 salary. He reckoned this was a great wage!

utva zlatokrila
22nd Sep 2008, 12:30
Hello,my name is igor!i would need some piece of advice from u,am also thinking of going for JAA fATPL and doing research...I saw that u visited some school like OBA in Florida ,did u maybe check the orlando Flight Training...They where first on my list but heard some stories:rolleyes: ...so i will appriciate any piece of advice ..:)

regards and thanks in forward

preduk
22nd Sep 2008, 13:27
Can I ask why you want to do all your training in the states when your wanting to fly in the UK?

Surely it would be better to get the experience of flying in the UK than flying in the states? Especially since the climate/traffic etc are all different.

Sensible
22nd Sep 2008, 13:51
I think that nh2301's comment has been misunderstood, he was referring to an FAA PPL not an ATPL and of course, an FAA PPL held by a Brit is good in the UK wheras an FAA ATPL isn't!

Celtic Pilot
22nd Sep 2008, 13:55
Go to uni lad,,,

Your not young, your a baby...

Airline are not recruiting at mo!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy student life, go to uni..