PDA

View Full Version : Ch5 'Dangerous Adventures for Boys'.

Jackboot
16th Sep 2008, 11:14
Dangerous Adventures for Boys – ‘Aerial combat’.

We had a lot of fun at Old Warden earlier this year filming with Martin Kemp and his son Roman for the ‘ Aerial combat’ episode of the forthcoming Ch 5 6-part series ‘Dangerous Adventures for Boys’.

We used my Magister and Klemm for the dogfight sequences and filmed the aerial shots from my R44, flown by the legendary Ollie Byard-Jones.

I’ll post the screening details when I have them.

The plot revolves around celebrity father and son, who within a few hours of flying training at White Waltham in Tiger Moths and a few more at the Old Warden School of Aerial Combat(!), conquer their anxieties and become steely eyed killers at the controls.

It is a great story in so many ways, featuring interviews with Geoffrey ‘First Light’ Whellum and with period combat footage intertwined with present day ‘Battle of Britain movie – style’ aerial sequences. Whilst not decrying the bravery and, in many cases, the ultimate sacrifice of our boys back in WW2, there’s plenty of light-hearted stuff in it too.

I can tell you now that the final airborne sequences were flown entirely by Martin and Roman with Rob Millinship and I merely bawling instructions from the rear cockpits.

If I told you who won the final dogfight I’d have to kill you. However, both flew really, really well, thus demonstrating how it was possible, in times of dire need, to send the cream of our Nations youth off to war with so little time in their flying logbooks.

I hope you enjoy watching it as much as we enjoyed the privilege of working with the Kemps and, last but not least, Director Matthew ‘Diamond Geezer’ Whiteman and his team of professionals from Mentorn TV.

JB

kevmusic
16th Sep 2008, 22:58
That looks an excellent prog. :ok: Keep us updated on the broadcast schedule.

stiknruda
17th Sep 2008, 09:06
Look forward to seeing my mate, the Nottingham Gnome on the telly!:ok:

stiknruda
13th Nov 2008, 08:05
I spent an enjoyable hour watching this!

Pete and Rob came over as great fun to be with - no surprise there! Mr Hutton appears to be a very competent and cool instructor!

Good entertainment!

Stik

Justiciar
13th Nov 2008, 08:22
Bu**er !! Missed it :{ When was it on? Anyone know if it is repeated on any other channel?

luckybrazi
13th Nov 2008, 09:03
excellent program, nice to see the youth turning in to a young man. I enjoyed the flying sequences and of course the feel of the lovely grass airfields but especially seing Geoffrey Wellum. I'd love to meet and chat to him. For those who missed it, it's available here:
Demand Five | watch television on demand - Channel 5 TV (http://demand.five.tv/home.aspx)

eharding
13th Nov 2008, 10:41
Available as a video stream from here:

Demand Five | watch Dangerous Adventures For Boys (http://demand.five.tv/Series.aspx?seriesBaseName=DangerousAdventuresForBoys)

Karan737....no idea what you're on about, mate.

GIZZAJOB
13th Nov 2008, 12:53
Nice ish programme with lots of lovely aircraft , my compliments on the state of these aircraft they are superb.
Cant help but think though in these dark times that watching a millionaire and his spoilt son get free jollies in aircraft that most pilots would love to get their hands on but could probably never afford is a tad innapropriate . There are hundreds of people out there who are not afraid of flying and would relish such an opprotunity to do what these two did but will probably never have the opportunity . I hope they gave a substantial donation to Help for Hereos or the RAF benevolent fund or something
But again beautiful aeroplanes :D

stiknruda
13th Nov 2008, 13:24
Gizzajob - life is just not fair!

My neighbouring strip owner has a Mustang - it fills me with deep joy when I see it get airborne, it would never occur to me to be jealous!:=:=

Lister Noble
13th Nov 2008, 15:14
Stik,
He now has two and good for him,he works hard enough for it.:D:D:D
I'm sad I missed the prog but I'll have a look online.
Lister:)

Jackboot
13th Nov 2008, 15:16
Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks also for the compliments about my beautiful aircraft. Both were wingless, waterlogged and derelict hulks abandoned to the elements back in the 60's.

Each took more than 20 years to restore.

Both can be seen at Old Warden in the museum although the Magister is on maintenance and currently legless on trestles.

I think the most fun for me during the filming was the pedal bike scene!

Despite some speculation on other forums, the outcome was not contrived. We went to battle for real, Roman simply outflew his Dad.

Flights in my aircraft are not just for the priviledged. I enjoy sharing them.

The Storch is nearing completion, the wings went on on Monday.

J

Justiciar
13th Nov 2008, 15:33
Cant help but think though in these dark times that watching a millionaire and his spoilt son get free jollies in aircraft that most pilots would love to get their hands on but could probably never afford is a tad innapropriate

The ability of the British to beat themselves over the head never ceases to amaze me :ugh:

With unemployment approaching 2m what we want is more people spending their money on things, not less. Less flying means more businesses going under and more people out of work. I am not clear how this helps the country. Speaking personally I would be more than happy for millionaires to spend as much as possible on my services and I am certain that anyone else in any sort of business feels the same. The last thing we want is everyone sitting on their money. That is how recessions happen.

GIZZAJOB
13th Nov 2008, 16:11
JB Can I have a go then , Ill see if I can get the BBC to pay , as Im sure Im in credit with the licence fee :}
Thinking on though who would wanna see a fat sad old git like me wallowing around the countryside, perhaps not such a good idea:{:{

Lister Noble
13th Nov 2008, 16:20
eharding,

Thanks for the link.
I have just watched it online,a first for me!
I thought it was a really good programme,the two were obviously flying the lovely correct period aircraft with the safety of a very experienced pilot, there to save anything dangerous happening,but that did not detract at all from their performance after a very steep learning curve
The commentary was excellent and to have the input of an actual WW2 fighter pilot was amazing.
Well done to all involved.
Lister:)

Did many WW2 pilots have diamond ear studs?:E:E

Folllowing on from Justicar's comments,without the studs maybe another jeweller bites the dust.

flyingman-of-kent
13th Nov 2008, 18:27
I really enjoyed watching the programme - at first I thought perhaps they should have started in a spam can but later on it became clear that this was the best route for them. It looked like they both did pretty well, although I think the producers did harp on about how scared Roman was of flying - well there is a huge difference in being flown as a kid on a passenger jet compared to light aircraft. But I guess it was part of how the programme was put together. Never mind, some great flying shots, great to see these planes are still flying.

I loved the bit when Roman asked how old the Tiger Moth was, and when he was told it was manufactured in 1943 his look was "Did it compete with the dinosaurs?"!!

I thought overall it was a good advert for GA, but of course imagine how insufferable Roman could be when he starts his PPL - "I have flown in a Tiger Moth and a Miles Magister!" (I hope not, he could be a good ambassador for GA.)

One thing I did wonder - how many hours total did they do to get to that stage?

Oh and a great advert for the Shuttleworth Collection - I now want to visit!

batninth
13th Nov 2008, 19:15
Oh and a great advert for the Shuttleworth Collection - I now want to visit!

Absolutely recommend it. Almost everything in the collection works, even the old motor bikes. Fabulous to see so many airworthy planes

Took the father-in-law a few Saturdays ago in the autumn sun and the Klemm was being flown by a young lady along with one of the Ryan PT22 (Jackboot - I recall that the Ryan may be yours as well?), both taking guests up. Spent an age just stood watching both planes & we could have stayed there for much longer.

...but especially seing Geoffrey Wellum. I'd love to meet and chat to him

I think a lot us would. I saw him interviewed on another program and he was quite reticent to talk about being a hero. It was a pleasure to see him last night with his sense of humour going.

luckybrazi
14th Nov 2008, 08:29
one of the highlights to last years flying was visiting the Shuttleworth collection followed by a 2 hour flight home in the warm glow of the setting sun. Jackboot thankyou for achieving so much and for making those aircraft airworthy again.:D

Genghis the Engineer
14th Nov 2008, 11:30
Having caught it by accident, I was thoroughly impressed. It did a good job of telling a story about flying training, and the nature of the brave young men who flew during WW2. My complements to all involved, and in particular to the owners of those lovely aeroplanes.

To those with sour grapes about somebody else getting a bit of flying paid for - many people get flying paid for, for many reasons and we all enjoy it - this particular free flying was to make a very good TV programme. The solution to envy in this case is probably to change job!

Jackboot - should you ever fancy swapping a go in any of those gorgeous flying machines for a go in my (1/8th of!) a slightly newer 1947 Stinson, I'd love to trade!

G

niknak
14th Nov 2008, 15:37
It could have been just another "attention seekng lookhow good I am" docusoap, but instead, it was thoroughly enjoyable stuff.:ok:

Could GIZZAJOB possibly be the miserable former Gissajob, banned from Pprune and now Vulcan Lover?:E
If so, the belligerant and petty remarks of a bitter and twisted individual, come as no suprise.

Jackboot
14th Nov 2008, 20:53
Hi Genghis,

Any time M8.

It'll have to be next season now, most of my planes are in bits - its that time of year.....

Come along to one of our displays next year. Come early to stand the best chance. I'm always there and now you know what I look like!

Which one do you fancy a go in?

J

VFE
14th Nov 2008, 21:48
Very enjoyable and well made documentary - everyone involved came out looking good which is not often the case in these days of second rate television productions. Another good example was the BBC2 documentary 'Barristers' which started this evening, nice to see some quality TV for a change but I digress...

Hope Roman keeps the brilliant spark going which he's had installed in him by those super chaps involved with this programme, and continues with some more flying lessons. Badger yer dad mate! :}

VFE.

GIZZAJOB
14th Nov 2008, 22:47
NikNak no I am not the name is purely coincidental
It was not bitter or twisted I was merely suggesting that perhaps it may have been a bit better if the subjects had been some ordinary members of the public who could never afford to have such an experience as opposed to those that could easily afford it .
I am sure there are hundreds of people actually interested in aviation on this very forum alone who would have loved the experience .
But thank you for your comments NIKNAK glad to see you can see the whole picture

broadreach
15th Nov 2008, 00:58
The clip's not available for non-UK audiences, unfortunately. If it ever gets onto YouTube please revive the thread!

On the subject of training kids straight out of school to fly fighter aircraft, it doesn't seem so surprising when you see nine-year-olds mastering a videogame in a matter of minutes. I recall friends who were flying competently and naturally in their early teens and, at fifteen, although I never followed through, the act of flying was comparable to that of riding a bike. That extra dimension, altitude, seemed all-forgiving; playing with a bike on a smooth wet surface was much more dicey.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Nov 2008, 13:15
Hi Genghis,

Any time M8.

It'll have to be next season now, most of my planes are in bits - its that time of year.....

Come along to one of our displays next year. Come early to stand the best chance. I'm always there and now you know what I look like!

Which one do you fancy a go in?

J

Deal! Also I could do with an excuse to come to Old Warden again.

Which would you recommend to somebody with a passionate interest in interesting aeroplane design?

Cheers,

G

niknak
15th Nov 2008, 16:35
Gizzajob,

my humble apologies for such a disparaging slant upon you, unfortunately not only was I was neglecting one of the first rules of Pprune, namely DPP, (Don't Post Pissed), but I was jumping to conclusions.

Niknak (wearing sackcloth and sitting on barbed wire).:O

GIZZAJOB
16th Nov 2008, 19:03
Quite right , hope you get a barb up your chuff , well for a few minutes anyway till you've learned your lesson young man

Justiciar
16th Nov 2008, 20:23
God, that is this forum coming to. If you want to spout left wing envy then I am sure there is somewhere other than here you can go.

There are not many on these forums who either are not paid to fly or who can not afford to, so what exactly is the issue here?

Kemp and Kemp junior had a bl**dy good time, learned something and entertained us in the process.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Nov 2008, 20:41
What a superb piece of TV! - and on at prime time, too. I hope it encourages a few to have a go at flying, especially as Roman went from beibg apprehensive to 'maybe going for a licence'. Roman and his dad seem to have a great relationship, and Dad was genuinely delighted to see how the experience had 'grown' his son, and I think he was delighted that Ro had trounced him in the air!

Many thanks to JB and the other instructors (and program makers) for making it happen!

I can't understand that guy on here who was bemoaning the free flying they got. Most folk can fly if they really want to - I'm not wealthy but I've been flying a delightful Chipmunk for the last 30 years. In fact, most of the keen folk in flying that I know don't have fortunes - they just wanted to do it enough - so they did! Hopefully this program will get a few more doing it, too.

SSD

daria-ox
16th Nov 2008, 20:55
Flying isn't just for boys! :{

But, a good TV show.