PDA

View Full Version : Converting FAA to JAA... price

kirkegaard
15th Sep 2008, 22:18
Anyone know the aprox price to convert all FAA licences to JAA in america?

rideorfly311
16th Sep 2008, 05:10
well, its kind of a tricky question and depends on your experiance. NO MATTER WHAT you have to complete the JAA written exams. All 14 books can be bought from Jeppesen for around 1000 dollars. The you have to take each of the 14 written exams at special testing centers. This will run you about 200 each time. Then finally, once you complete these you have 1 yr to complete a pratical exam to complete your conversion. The instrument portion of this must be done in europe. This could run you as much as 30000 dollars.:ugh:
On the other hand if you have a large amount of flight time and get hired by a european airline and have completed your written exams you can take a type ride with the airline. However, your license will then only be valid in the country in which it was issued.
I suggest getting the books first. I myself have been studying hard for over a yr and am still not done. It is extremely challenging. Good luck:ok:

eikido
16th Sep 2008, 05:59
1. Isn't it 36 months and not 1 year to complete the checkrides?

2. Don't you have to go through a school in order to be able to write the exams? Like take a distance learning class? Because don't you have to sit 2 weeks with an authorized school before writing the exams?

Capt Loop
16th Sep 2008, 06:32
ALL the answers to converting licences FAA to JAA, whether its FI, IR, Commercial are all in LASORS.

Please donwload them and read them before posting replies which are incorrect and misleading. :ugh:

eikido
16th Sep 2008, 07:06
LASORS is 600 pages mate. You have to understand why people ask here rather then reading it. I've gone through some of it but sometimes it's not very clear (probably because you have to read all of it).

Plus LASORS does not state how much the conversion will cost and how the conversion is practically. It says you need 15 hours of IR minimum. How many does it in 15 hours? According to what i've read in this forum not many.

Eikido

INNflight
16th Sep 2008, 16:46
This could run you as much as 30000 dollars.

Holy banana I don't think you could possible spend that much on a conversion :oh: (of course you can but stillllll)

Test materials and exam fees are around 3000 dollars US, and the flying hrs for your checkrides can't possibly be 27k's :ooh:

Of course, it also depends if you do the JAA ATPLs distance learning or at some fancy outfit....but 30k? That's how much I pay for FAA PPL and CPL IFR alone. :ouch:

Capt Loop
16th Sep 2008, 19:38
Eikido, the 2 questions you asked are clearly in LASORS.

As for the 300 pages!!!!! :confused: Section D Commercial Pilots Licence is 65 pages, and for the Instrument Rating it is only 25 pages. And only 16 pages relating to the theory exams for licences.

Its not difficult to read, you just have to read what applies and doesnt apply to someones circumstances.