PDA

View Full Version : Civvi pilot to military pilot

establishedonfinals
15th Sep 2008, 11:23
Hi all,

I know it's not uncommon for military pilots to join the airlines after they leave the forces but has anyone heard of anybody doing it the other way around and going from a commercial flight deck into the FAA for example? I can imagine this would be fairly rare but if anyone has heard of it, I'd appreciate your experiences.

Thanks everyone
EOF

Tourist
15th Sep 2008, 11:26
Nothing to stop you doing it, but it makes no difference whatsoever to your training. You would start at the begining and do all the training just like everybody else.
Doesnt mean its a bad idea though.
Did you work for XL?

establishedonfinals
15th Sep 2008, 12:06
Thanks Tourist, yeah I wasn't expecting any dispensation training wise. Thankfully I wasn't one of the unfortunate XL pilots, but the instability of the airlines recently is a worry. The real reason for me asking the question is because I want more variety and challenge in the flying I do at this time in my life. Don't get me wrong, I love my job but I feel like I could accomplish more of my personal goals in the military environment, than I can in my present job.

airborne_artist
15th Sep 2008, 12:11
Give it a go. Plenty of people on here to help if you a) really want it and b) don't write in txt spk :ok:

Flap62
15th Sep 2008, 12:26
If you want to join the FAA I would have thought you would have more chance if you were male cabin crew than flight crew!!

airborne_artist
15th Sep 2008, 12:38
Your biggest risk is that you get assigned as an Observer, not Pilot. While you can express a preference, you will be given what is best for the Service, so if you have a high Obs aptitude score, and a lower Pilot score, you could end up as a directional consultant :}

At AIB you are bound to be probed as to why you want to start over. The RN/FAA is looking for very good officers who will also be very good aviators, rather than superb aviators who slope off to the bar/beach/home when they have finished flying, which is very different to what you have done to date.

establishedonfinals
15th Sep 2008, 12:56
Thanks AA, but am I right in thinking that you would be offered a place at BRNC as either a pilot or observer, so you would know which trade you would be joining as before you sign on the line? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here? Cor, bar then beach then home after work!? That would be nice!
EOF

Tigger_Too
15th Sep 2008, 13:26
In my experience its more often bar then beach - then medical centre.

Akrotiri, day one, never fails!

airborne_artist
15th Sep 2008, 13:31
EOF - - ring and ask (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/341934-faa-work-experience.html#post4373667) - they won't bite.

If you are interested, get down to the AFCO, meet the RN officer recruiter, and ask for some acquaint visits, and make sure you get to go to Yeovilton/Culdrose for a potential officers' course. Courses are eight per year, and almost always start on a Sunday evg., finish on Thursday. A ship visit is also a must, and timing will be more flexible.

PM me if you need help.

establishedonfinals
15th Sep 2008, 15:10
Thanks again AA, have been killing time this afternoon with a tech aircraft, just been building up a better picture of the situation before dropping into the AFCO when I get chance. Thanks again all!

Pontius Navigator
15th Sep 2008, 16:18
established, you are on the right age side, just. 23 yrs and 12 months - a day before entering IOT. Time from application to operational on a sqn about 4 years.

If you look there was another similar questionier, or 2, and you may find the answer in the OASC sticky.

That you have your ticket suggests you will pass the aptitude tests the rest is up to you - fitness, interviews, PQs and of course the bug bear for many - 5 GCSE, 2 A-level.

I'm Off!
15th Sep 2008, 16:36
You will indeed know BEFORE you join whether it is as a Pilot or Observer. If you do better in the tests for Obs they may try and push you that way - but it is up to you to be firm and tell them what you want. Either way, you don't have anything to worry about as if they offer you Obs and you don't want it you can turn it down. I guess the key is to be good enough to be able to say "no I would not accept Obs, I want to be a Pilot". We are short of Pilots though, so give it a go, and don't be put off by people badmouthing it - they are only happy when they are complaining!

If you need any other info or contacts please do not hesitate to PM me.

I'm Off!
15th Sep 2008, 16:38
And Flap62, you're a funny guy. The RN and gay jokes. Wow, you're really insightful. And original.

airborne_artist
15th Sep 2008, 17:01
PN - the man has taste, so he wants to join the Dark Blue. That gives him an extra 24 months, which should be fine.

Link to RN career page (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.6056)

Flap62
15th Sep 2008, 20:36
He shoots, he scores!

Pontius Navigator
15th Sep 2008, 21:32
A_A he didn't say that.

into the FAA for example

advocatusDIABOLI
15th Sep 2008, 23:24
I'd draw respondents to the rather 'Classic' track, by 'Dos Gringos' 'Want to take off from a Carrier'

I don't know how to post a link, but, if you google it, you'll find it! Also available, live on YouTube.:D

Advo

PS: Dos Gringos - Fighter Pilot Songs for Our Generation - MUSIC (http://www.dosgringosrocks.com/music.html)

212man
16th Sep 2008, 00:04
There was a chap (Steve Thompson) on my IOT who was ex-Bristow. He'd been through their ab-initio CPL(H) course and was a co-pilot. Seemed to do ok - got the sword of honour, then went creamie then fast jets! Ended up with BA after he left, I believe.

airborne_artist
16th Sep 2008, 15:29
A_A he didn't say that.My apologies, PN.

Pontius Navigator
16th Sep 2008, 17:22
A_A, ty, a Gent. and the B/F? :)

Farfrompuken
16th Sep 2008, 18:35
EOF

There was a dude not so long ago who went through the system after a time on Biz-Jets.

I met him at Linton and, unsurprisingly, for someone with a good level of experience, he was breezing the course.

Don't be put off by shouts of "you're too old/experience doesn't count etc etc", you won't know till you give it a go. The rules aren't always 100% black & white.

Good luck!

expedite08
25th Sep 2008, 12:07
I also have a freind who is in the RAF too and done a similar thing. Hes in his 30s and on IOT at the moment, he was already serving though. Had CPL IR etc. So it can be done. Very tempting, considering the state of the market at the moment!

minigundiplomat
25th Sep 2008, 13:17
The RN/FAA is looking for very good officers

This will be a fairly recent policy then? Ive always thought arrogance and a huge aura of self importance were all that was required alongside a resolute reluctance to listen to any advice given by anyone below a two and a half.

Wader2
25th Sep 2008, 13:48
and not wearing dark blue.

:}

Rich Monkey
2nd Oct 2008, 19:47
I had the pleasure of instructing on the Tucano a student who had previously worked as an airline copilot. He was easily the best student on the course. It was clear, however, that the RAF training system did not really know how to deal effectively with a trainee with substantive prior training. On the EFT he was onto solo aeros well before the rest of his intake had done their first solo. He spent the rest of the EFT thoroughly enjoying himself, though not being greatly tested. When he came to Linton he was still well ahead of the curve. What particularly impressed me was his general airmanship and ability to prioritise tasks in high work load situations. I attributed that to the emphasis which civilian training places on coping with degraded systems under IFR.

Incidentally, he was also particularly mature for his age and showed plenty of aptitude for non-flying aspects of military service.

He was streamed FJ, which was not untypical of RAF policy for such a good student, though in my personal view he was too good for FJ and should have gone ME.

In short, I think that a civilian PPL has no advantage on joining the services as that level is rapidly overtaken on the EFT, but based on my experience with this particular student I do think that candidates at CPL/IR level have significant skills to bring to the military. However, I don't think that the current training syllabus is well adapted to dealing with the rare student who comes to us with that level of ability.

Monty77
11th Oct 2008, 17:49
Mini gun half wit:

Come the Revolution, you will get your just rewards and be a People's Grand Marshall in charge of Stuff (with Big Hat). My money's on the fact you will remain what you always have been.

In the meantime, gin and tonic please.

Cut along, there's a good chap.

Pontius Navigator
11th Oct 2008, 18:05
Actually Monty I feel MGD has a point.

We met one who was just like that until he discovered that we knew just how noisy his submarine was. By then of course we had lost interest.:E