PDA

View Full Version : Jet Airways or Kingfisher?

EKULfreqflyer
15th Sep 2008, 00:00
Hello PPruners,

I am looking for an insight in Indian aviation. Im still in training though but i see lots of expats and former Indian Airbus/ Boeing/ATR drivers for IT/9W/S2... Im looking for advice.. pls help me on giving insights and recommendations as much as you can..

which company is better to work for? IT or 9W? and why?
who gives more hours per month?
who gives the best rostering?
benefits
howz the pay like for A320 or 73G ?
FATA validation
are they still hiring type rated pilots as im thinking of buying my own?
do you guys recommend tht i should buy my type?
even if the shiny jets dont work ill settle for ATR
wht ever you guys can recommend me...

Really Appreciate for taking your time to reply to this forum. pls try to give your opinions in this 1 so tht in the future, upcomming drivers like me and for those who plan on India can see this forum and make a better choice towards a gr8 future.

Thanks

EKULfreqflyer

spedfast
15th Sep 2008, 04:41
Don't you just love these guys.
"even if the shiny jets dont work ill settle for ATR"

Mate, how about getting a big shiny reality check.

C433
15th Sep 2008, 05:41
From your age it looks as though you are just finishing flying training. This means you will be looking for an F/O job. As an expat and even an Indian I don't think you have much chance with the current aviation downturn.
I suggest you do like the rest of us and get experience as a flying instructor and or GA pilot. Don' get me wrong, aim high. But unfortunately the bubble has burst temporarily in India.
I also suggest getting a good grounding prior to flying a jet, get some turbo prop time. I know as I am a TRE with an Indian company.
Good luck. ;)

WIKI44
15th Sep 2008, 09:37
Get your priorities straight my friend.

"which company is better to work for? IT or 9W? and why?
who gives more hours per month?
who gives the best rostering?
benefits
howz the pay like for A320 or 73G ?"

You shouldn't be worrying about such things. First worry on getting your licence converted/finishing your training etc... I gather from your previous posts that you don't have maths and physics in 12th. First thing should be to get that done. You can do that here in India, or do an equivalent course abroad. AKAIK, DGCA does not issue FATA to Indian nationals. Even if they do, it is of a temporary nature and based on the recommendation of your employer. So first you already have to have a job (which isn't too easy now days) and secondly you have to convert your licence sooner or later.

"even if the shiny jets dont work ill settle for ATR"
My gosh, you sure you are ready for a sacrifice of such magnitude?:ugh:

Ill give you an example of the current scenario:
Jet Airways entrace exam july 2008.
-1200-1500 candidates short listed for the written exam, from the 3000+ who originally sent in their C.V.'s
-150 picked for the interview
-80-120 picked for sim. assessment
-20-50 get through finally.
Less than 5% of the people who sat the exam will get a job. The above figures aren't 100% accurate but do give a good idea of the current scenario. So, study as much as possible instead of worrying about rostering/pay/benefits for a job you don't yet have.

Hiring is on hold with most companies. Example - tons of people I know are on hold with one carrier since may and have no idea when or if they will start training/flying.
Nacil is supposed to come out with some vacancies in the next few weeks. That’s the word on the street, anyhow. Indigo have a process, details of which can be found here:
www.sfa-india.com/indigo/trainee/select.htm (http://www.sfa-india.com/indigo/trainee/select.htm)
There is some hold up apparently due to sim. training slots not being available (or so I hear), but it seems like it is a viable alternative. Check out the indigo thread as well.....
Nacil/Indigo/Jet/KF require you have an Indian cpl at the time of joining though (Nacil at time of application).
There are a bunch of non-scheduled operators, but the entrance process isn't very clear....

Do not get a type rating. It is expensive and is likely to collect dust in the current scenario. Best thing would be to get your license, get through the process with some carrier and then head off for type training.

If you have the right to work in the country where you have done your training and they same a GA industry, then you could always get a gig over there. Better than sitting at home with a spanking new Indian cpl. More importantly you could gain valuable experience, and when things improve over here (fingers crossed) you would be more qualified than most of the other candidates.

Not trying to shoot you down, but get your priorities straight first. If you need any info on licensing/procedures etc pm me. I recently got everything done so I can help. Good luck.
wiki

Busboyz
15th Sep 2008, 09:44
Cmon spedfast be nice. We all had dreams and this young man needs encouragement at this stage of his career. He does not need to be berated and demotivated, but encouraged to persue his goals. I am sure many flying schools still promise the heavy iron left seat within a few years as a means of furthering their own business. The market in India will pick up again and a fortunate few will progress directly to wide body turbojets with only a few hundred hours of experience.

Pushpak
15th Sep 2008, 11:37
Give the poor soul a break, please don't shoo him off. How can you blame him when he see's all the shinny planes.

slimynyk
15th Sep 2008, 12:00
Indigo have a process, details of which can be found here:
www.sfa-india.com/indigo/trainee/select.htm (http://www.sfa-india.com/indigo/trainee/select.htm)

Roadblock!!
Sabena were to conduct entrance tests the whole of next week up to Sept 24th. Well news is, that ain't happening because Indigo isn't hiring!!
All those who were readying themselves for the test were asked to sit back and relax at home.:bored:
EKULfreqflyer... I thought i'll be nice and make your work easier. From what I read you've been asked to do the following:

getting your licence converted/finishing your training
get your priorities straight first.
getting a good grounding.
getting a big shiny reality check
and from me.... get a life... there's more to it than just big shiny jets owned by Jet and KFA! Aviation is a huge industry with a million different types of planes... Experience them as well... trust me they will amaze you...! You have forty years left in aviation to experience "the shiny jets"Best of luck mate!

av8r76
15th Sep 2008, 12:19
A close friend of mine turned down an ATR offer 'cos he didn't want to settle for a turboprop. Guess what he is up to right now.

As prudent as it is to look ahead keep a check on the ground realities at your present state and the next step of your career.

Things will pick up but there are enough wannabees ahead of you waiting in the wings to land that elusive job.... anywhere.... on any type.

One of my colleagues pulled a stint in Africa on 748s, 1900s, King Airs for 6 years... all the while dodging bullets from warlords, druglords and gun runners.

As mentioned earlier, get out of your crib and see the whole world of aviation.

/somehow I sense this post is flamebait.... but I still bite.:8

putar
15th Sep 2008, 14:37
Is Jet Airways still hiring? I went to their website and entered the info for a cockpit crew position, but when I hit send, it comes up with a "please try another time" message. Has anyone else had this problem recently? Does anyone know alternative ways to apply?

bad_attitude
15th Sep 2008, 16:51
as per my latest info ...the IFLY F/O program just went KaBoOm! :ugh::ugh::ugh::mad::mad::mad:

condorbaaz
18th Sep 2008, 04:25
putar,

Jet airways site been like that for years.
Rumoured

1. apparently something you filling, the company does not like

2. Pilots union done some thing to ensure nobody can apply except by snailmail

putar
18th Sep 2008, 14:54
Thanks Condor. I will send it in snail mail and see what comes up. Right now I am working on AI Express, however I am having a tough time finding anyone who has ever done their flying to give me "the gouge" on working there. If anyone is willing to tell me your stories, and or experiences, please let me know, either post or pm me. Thanks!