PDA

View Full Version : Virgin 747 400 series question

starbuck123
13th Sep 2008, 13:51
I flew back from Vegas on Thursday on a Virgin 747 400 series and to my surpise it seemed a bit old, there was no on demand Tv (which is only a little thing) but most concerning was take off. When we was just leaving the ground there was a massive virbration and everything was shaking and making a loud noise. i was sitting just at side of the wing and have sat here before but no known such a vibration, what was it, any ideas?

BelArgUSA
13th Sep 2008, 14:12
It was simply a wheel or a few wheels out of "balance" on the main gear.
Sometimes airplane wheels do that when spinning, immediately after leaving the ground.
When the gear is retracted, brakes are applied to stop wheel rotation.
Nothing to be concerned about - Even "new planes" can be noisy and vibrate as well.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

apaddyinuk
13th Sep 2008, 14:36
I work on 747-400's and I can tell you that the noise you heard is very normal! Sometimes its more noticable then others, dont know why! Maybe if they are using the center fuel tank it absorbes some of the noise or something! LOL!

As for the Avod, you say its only a little thing....I can assure you it is anything but! The cost of replacing an IFE system with AVOD, even if it is only a hardware upgrade is significant and it also requires the aircraft to be grounded for a time while the work takes place. That is why so few airlines actually refit old aircraft with AVOD, most aircraft with AVOD nowadays you will find were delivered with it already installed. AVOD is still a relatively new thing in the grand scheme of things.

You must also remember that the 747-400 is an old aircraft. It is based on an aircraft designed in the 60's, the first 400 rolled out in the 80's and although Virgin has some of the newer airframes, some only rolling out in recent years, they also have some oldies!

Globaliser
13th Sep 2008, 14:47
So have I been wrong to think all along that this is a bit of aerodynamic buffeting because of the relatively low speed and relatively high angle of attack?

BelArgUSA
13th Sep 2008, 14:58
WRONG indeed...
By the way, which "relatively low speed"... "and high angle of attack"...???
xxx
:suspect:
Happy contrails

starbuck123
13th Sep 2008, 15:00
When i said "little thing" i meant i was not that bothered as long as it worked. When i flew out to New York on a Virgin airbus the TV system didnt work properly. They kept rebooting it for the first 3 hours then after that they said it went into something could "standby" ?? which meant the system picked 20 movies. only problem was you had to go through each one to see if it worked or had the red cross come up on the screen.

I was very grateful for a working tv. My concern was the virbration as i had not felt this before!

apaddyinuk
13th Sep 2008, 19:18
Dont worry about the vibrations, very normal. Once the aircraft has fully streamlined (once the wheels are fully retracted and wheel well doors are closed) the vibration stops! All the thumping you hear is just the mechanisms! You should hear it from the galley, all those metal containers, tea pots and ice tongs shuddering about!!! Would turn your hair grey! :eek:

PAXboy
13th Sep 2008, 19:43
starbuck123 I consider AVOD will be ready for service in five years time. unfortunately, by that time, the carriers will have been dazzled by the newest, latest things and think that we want it. What we want is an entertainment system that works!

I, too, have had those long rebooting and "Sorry it should be working soon" announcements. But the systems are extremely complicated and I would be more than happy to go back to a selection of 10/20 films and 20 audio channels. I don't need a selection of 50 films of which none are working.

Final 3 Greens
14th Sep 2008, 04:04
Well said Paxboy

I am just transferring a couple of movies onto my MP4 player for tonight's flight - at least I know I will have AVOD - even if it is on a 4" screen :}

VAFFPAX
14th Sep 2008, 06:36
The noise is entirely normal, especially on runways that are not as smooth as a baby's behind.

I had a stuck screen on my LHR-JNB flight a few months back. All the c/c did was hit a button on their console for my seat to restart the virtual machine for the AVOD system. Simple and effective.

:-)

S.

BelArgUSA
14th Sep 2008, 06:51
When I was a kid, I went to see a movie saturday evening...
Was sometimes in black and white, but there were movies in color and even Cinemascope.
And in about 1961, I was 17 years old, and my mother bought our first TV.
There were programs from 5pm until midnight...
xxx
Nowadays, the passenger entertainment systems are a "3 day" item on the MEL...?
Or are these a NO GO item...?
:E
Happy contrails

JEM60
14th Sep 2008, 07:56
Can scarcely ever be bothered to watch a film. Give me a good book or a sleep any day, or even better, a walk down the back to talk to the lovely flight attendants..[scrounge more ice cream, Chocolate Gu's etc.Bottle of Champagne once [United!!]]:) Frequently big thump as the undercarriage extends on take off. The only sound I would not happy with is engine noise decreasing immediately after lift off. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm waiting!!!!.........

Globaliser
14th Sep 2008, 15:27
WRONG indeed...
By the way, which "relatively low speed"... "and high angle of attack"...???
xxxThank you!

I always thought that this was relatively low speed and relatively high angle of attack compared to normal cruising flight. Surely I'm not wrong about that! :)