PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Policy at Majors

Eminence Grise
12th Sep 2008, 20:52
I am looking for some insight into the various fuel policies out there vs. what crews actually do in practice wrt alternates, holding, enroute reserves, granny fuel etc. Also, as there are inconsistent quantity levels to signal transport aircraft low fuel warnings (ECAM/EICAS) across manufacturer's types, what allowances are made. My own company (large red leaf) has a procedure on the 330-340 called ALFE. What's it all about? I'm glad you asked. If we anticipate landing with less than 7T (a lot on the 330) we go through the motions of the actual ECAM which involves ensuring that the fuel scheduling has moved the tip and tail fuel to the main wing tanks. This precludes doing the ECAM on short final which, as I recall, was a hairy gong show. I'd like to know what you do at your (de-identified if you wish) company.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

EG

mutt
12th Sep 2008, 21:33
If we anticipate landing with less than 7T (a lot on the 330) we go through the motions of the actual ECAM which involves ensuring that the fuel scheduling has moved the tip and tail fuel to the main wing tanks.... I would have thought that this was a procedure and not a policy!

As far as policies are concerned, look at FAR121 or JAR OPS etc... we all have to play by the rules.....

Mutt

Eminence Grise
12th Sep 2008, 22:50
I guess I didn't make it clear enough. I want to know what discretion crews have to board additional fuel above what the enroute and destination/alternate weather forecasts and conditions require. The JAR and FAA rules are essentially the same as ours. Where does the company push back?

BRAKES HOT
13th Sep 2008, 05:13
i don't understand the procedures you do. If you're going to land with <7t the fuel will have transferred whilst still mostly in the cruise/early descent. and why mess with the systems pages/ECAM on finals??? Quick look at the fuel page before the approach should tell you its all where you want it - in the inners and should be balanced from the earlier forward trim transfer. 7T in a 330 isn't all that bad if weather nice / close alternate / low weight etc etc

BRAKES HOT
13th Sep 2008, 05:23
and I should add in answer to your second question we can load pretty much what we like over the cfp, without giving a reason other than we can. But to be honest without reason to carry it, weather, alternate, busy time of the day, turtles on the beach etc etc whats the point in throwing money out the back?