PDA

View Full Version : Quit or Leave Africa?

RICCARDOVOLANTE
12th Sep 2008, 16:45
What you will do if you ,for technical reasons,ground an airplane and the owner of the company tell you that if you do not want to fly you can go home in front of all the crew member at the apron?And also he ask to the chief pilot to call another captain to take that flight?And also how about the chief pilot try to convince you to take that flight because it is OK to fly in such condition?
PROBLEM
TURBO PROP AIRPLANE

1)Right Engine OverTemp Light ON at START UP ENGINE (Right Engine Starting)
2)Left Engine OverTemp Light ON at START UP ENGINE (Right Engine Starting)
"Left Engine not running"
3)Both the engines gauges,Oil/Fuel/Ng/and so on, "Indicating"at START UP ENGINE (Right Engine Starting) even with the Left engine not Running
4)In flight a lot differential value of indication Between Left and Right engines temps /Ng/
Basically we did not know how much power we had
Several time flown this airplane in those condition.
Mentioned to the mechanic several time.He does not know the problem
Starting with APU or not I had the same problem

Quit or Leave ?

Regards
Riccardo Volante

dakotanorb
12th Sep 2008, 17:09
Aircraft type????:confused:

south coast
12th Sep 2008, 17:29
Tell him to shoot it up his arse!

kaswili
12th Sep 2008, 18:16
I dont think you need to ask us what to do...you know that already!
The sad reality though, most people need the work and so will put up with it. One day they meet their own no-go line,quit in a fit of rage, move on and all that happens is they get replaced by another low-time keen to do-it-all pilot. Show goes on.

Goodluck!

Kapt
12th Sep 2008, 19:46
Stand up, be a Captain and do what is right. Do what is right to you PAX, they expect that you are doing the right thing. Don't forget your PAX are paying you. I have been there. Take command. Good luck

rwm
13th Sep 2008, 02:02
No company worth working for would demand that you fly that unless you were being shot at and needed to get your A$$ out of there.

a mystery
13th Sep 2008, 04:14
well thats typical Africa for you.....
I would tell to go F$%# themselves! No need to risk your life and the lives of others due to their ignorance.....

doubleu-anker
13th Sep 2008, 05:17
Well if that is their attitude, then write it up in the tech log, if it is not written up already. Give 1 copy to the tower 1 to the regulating authority, just before you step on the airliner home.

The Chief pilot? I was of the opion the chief pilots responsibility was to look after his fellow pilot's interest, if possible. A management type in the Chief pilot's position is a recipey for disaster.

three eighty
13th Sep 2008, 05:32
Sadly the above situation is all too common in that part of the world. Cut throat contract rates don't help. If you have reached your safety threshold then don't fly. We as professional pilots are well aware of the need to keep the aircraft flying to keep the revenue coming in and keep us employed, and will rarely ground an aircraft unless absolutely vital.
You have to hope that you will have the support of your chief pilot. If not, then the decision to fly rests on you.

V1... Ooops
13th Sep 2008, 08:04
If I recall correctly, we were recently discussing the role of the regulatory authorities in another thread here in the African Aviation forum.

Riccardo, what country is your aircraft registered in, and what country is it operated in?

rags
13th Sep 2008, 08:49
This is a good place to spill all after you have gone from the :mad:company. tell every one what is happening and who it was. JUST remember Backup your fact as this is not a mudsling site

SACAA (and my gess is that the a/c is RSA) has a good website with an incognito reporting form USE it

I am brave to say all this, it is not my livelyhood on line but in the end you have to deside LIVE OR DIE

Sorry boet PICK your PICK

Please talk to the family of a Piper nevergone that crashed out of FAGM. There story wrings the same bells.

Goffel
13th Sep 2008, 10:04
PM me all the details and "wallah", we fix the fault.

Goffel..:E

rogerk
13th Sep 2008, 10:34
... ask the owner of the company to get in the "second seat" and you will take him for an air test !!
Also remind him that it's you who are licenced to fly the plane not him or his company.
In fact without you his plane is a useless piece of metal that sits on a strip of tarmac costing him money !!
:ok:

Gooneybird
13th Sep 2008, 21:19
Agree with everyone else. As V1 said another thread on this page is dedicated to a recent tragedy, cause unknown but food for thought. Your job is "the safe conduct of the flight" even where that means never taking the chocks off to begin with.

Don't leave Africa, just write it up and make the appropriate authorities aware of it before you leave.

FlyingWrench
13th Sep 2008, 22:50
Get out. - I was just dealing with this issue as co-pilot and have since decided to leave. It is tough, lots of things to figure out... next job and so on. I believe I made the right decision for my family and later in life it will show. We NEED Captains to stick up for these things. Best of luck.

I like Goffel and rags ideas. Sometimes people need to know.

Moving on and happy:ok:
FlyingWrench

Goffel
14th Sep 2008, 07:42
Riccardo.

I gave you an offer to do something about your problem, yet nothing forthcoming.

Dont bitch about an operator and then do nothing about it.

Just remember that you might get a new guy starting and not being sure of things,flies with those same snags and (heaven forbid), has an accident....you then become part of the negligence, not only your previous operator.

You started the thread, now do something about it...(Remember your issue's are always kept confidential).

Goffel..:}

boertjie
14th Sep 2008, 07:56
What aircraft tipe was that?

Best advise, go before it is too late!!!!!

biggestboy
14th Sep 2008, 09:46
Hey Goff - give the guy a break - you only offered yesterday and in Africa - being connected 24/7 is not always possible.

maybe he is on his way home - if he is I hope its by choice as the operator is definately at fault here.

He will answer when he can I am sure.:ok:

RICCARDOVOLANTE
14th Sep 2008, 12:47
Actually I left the job almost 2 month ago, but 1 week ago I received a phone call from my ex chief pilot saying that they were willing to take me back at work if wanna to do so.
I was surprised of it, it seems like I have done something wrong on doing it.
Not that I am sure that leaving such place was the right thing to do but It was really shocking to know that not only they did not pay until the end of my days but plus they were willing to forgiving me for grounding their airplane and also for not digest the crap of the owner.
Now I am unemployed and never the less I got quite few experience it is difficult to find job being jobless.
So at the end of this story my question was more o less to see if there was something else to do rather than leave this company.
Thanks to all your reply
Regards
Riccardo Volante
Ok well Goffel what do you want to do?tell me?

Regards
Riccardo Volante

Goffel
14th Sep 2008, 19:37
Riccardo.
Just sent you a pm....let me know when you get the message.

Biggestboy.
Ja, had a time warp problem there...actually thought I had sent it 2 days previous....too much fanta.

Actually reminds me of when I flew ZS-ORK in the DRC for a Namibian operator.
Nothing worked...had a hole where the A/H was supposed to be...both VOR'S did not work.
So many things, that it would take a month to write them down here.
Went off to Libraville to have them fixed, (an NAC engineer hitched a ride with me).
After a week of nothing happening, (due to said operator not paying previous accounts), I managed to fill ZS-ORK up, and the following morning the engineer and myself gapped out of Libraville.
By this time, the maintenance organisation who was supposedly doing the MPI, just stamped the log books and said nothing they could do.
Got to Kinshasa, and was told that I was to fly without the A/H, in IF conditions.
After much deliberation, I was replaced by said operator.
When I asked of how I was to get home, the response was, "NOT MY PROBLEM".
The guys from Safair and NAC took a hat around and my ticket was paid for.(thanks guys).
When I got back, I phoned said operator and asked for my salary and S&t's.....I soon learned French.
....have to admit that after a week, the same operator was calling me "sir" and promising to pay all outstanding salaries.
What had happened when I packed to come home, I inadvertently put all the A/C books into my bag....cannot do much without all the A/C records, now could he.
Oh, and when the the DRC CAA found out that there were no books, A/C was grounded...shame.
Mind you, I still have those books.
Goffel...:E

ONKYO
16th Sep 2008, 03:00
file:///C:/Windows/TEMP/moz-screenshot.jpghttp://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircraft/light/cessna_208b_zs-ork_pe_dc06.jpg

xplorer
17th Sep 2008, 11:16
We have a policy where i work and its my own personal view that apart from making the trip, you're also paid to be SAFE and as a Captain apart from your own safety, the passangers safety comes first....
You'd rather walk out of the situation alive and with your dignity tied around your neck than to loose it all...

Quote: Better a live dog than a dead lion. :ok:

Goffel
17th Sep 2008, 16:54
Just for info....thankfully the idiot operator that tried to screw Riccardo was not a South African operator.

Thanks Riccardo.

Goffel....(Sir Goff by the sea is still owed $5000.00, by said operator....not that I will ever get the money).

gabon flyer 2
18th Sep 2008, 09:43
Hi Ricardo....

First of all your story remind me my own a few years ago in Gabon....I hope you are not flying for this bunch of idiots misunderstanding profits and safety.

What i d like to tell you is that i ve done as you did and quit this job immediatly,i ve been unemployed for a couple of months and then I had a chance to get an interview with a quiet big european operator...i was a little bit concern about this story but i finally explained those guys the reasons,just the fact....guess what ,i got the job.

So no matter the pressure people try to put on your shoulders as soon as you start feeling something is not going the way it should be...just stop it.
if there s a doubt there is no doubt.

All the best