PDA

View Full Version : Australian in USAF?

slideryoustink
12th Sep 2008, 05:54
G'day folks,

I request any information people may have on an Australian joining the USAF as a pilot?
I have heard rumors that you are required to reside and be employed within the states for a set amount of time and then hold residency etc prior to USAF eligibility -

Is this the case?
Is so, what are the requirements?

I am relocating to America early next year to work/live so would appreciate any information you may be able to bestow upon me.

I may be looking at the prospectus of marrying a US citizen if that helps ;o)

Regards,

slideryoustink

Pedalz
12th Sep 2008, 06:21
When I was on the Kittyhawk last year an ATCO told me that they encouraged internationals (especially Australians) into their defence force and would help aquire a green card etc. etc. Im sure it would be the same with the USAF as it is with the USN. I'd recommend emailing a recruiter with your details and asking for what they could offer with help (not necessarily as a pilot but just getting in) and going from there.

Good luck mate :ok:

Homers_love_child
12th Sep 2008, 16:27
You will probably find that you need to be a US citizen to be a pilot in the USAF. Marrying one will allow you to get a green card, but you will have to wait for 3 years before you can apply for citizenship. And I am pretty sure that the other armed services are the same.

If is different if you want to enlist as they accept non-citizens, but to fly you need to be an officer (in the USAF/USMC/USN) or warrant officer/officer (in the USArmy) which requires citizenship.

I may be wrong but the above is from experience.

BEagle
12th Sep 2008, 17:56
WTF would anyone want to relocate from Godzone to the land of pig$hit-thick rednecks in crimplene trousers?

Please tell!!

brickhistory
12th Sep 2008, 18:33
Because we've still got an Air Force?

Tell me about chavs, Burberry, and the like?

Jumping_Jack
12th Sep 2008, 18:50
Tee hee.....good response....:D

BEagle
12th Sep 2008, 19:08
Tell me about chavs, Burberry, and the like?

Inner city 'rat boys', one understands. Of the working class, whatever that might be.

But at least they're generally too young to vote........:rolleyes:

komac2
12th Sep 2008, 22:32
You will probably find that you need to be a US citizen to be a pilot in the USAF. Marrying one will allow you to get a green card, but you will have to wait for 3 years before you can apply for citizenship. And I am pretty sure that the other armed services are the same.

If is different if you want to enlist as they accept non-citizens, but to fly you need to be an officer (in the USAF/USMC/USN) or warrant officer/officer (in the USArmy) which requires citizenship.

I may be wrong but the above is from experience.

Citizenship
While there is a statutory requirement that only a United States Citizen may become a commissioned officer, this is not true for enlistment. Certain non-citizens can enlist in the United States Armed Forces. To be eligible to enlist, a non-citizen must:

(1) Entered the United States on a permanent residence visa or has an Alien Registration Receipt Card (INS Form 1-551/I-551 greencard or stamped I-94), and
(2) Established a bona fide residence, and (3) Established a home of record in the United States.

The visa and/or "greencard" must have sufficient time remaining on it (expiration date) to be valid during the entire term on enlistment. While non-citizens may enlist in the U.S. Military, they are not allowed to reenlist (stay in beyond their first term of service), unless they first become U.S. Citizens. However, there are accelerated citizenship procedures for non-citizens on active duty. For details, see our article, U.S. Citizenship in the Military (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/weekly/aa062602a.htm).
I get lots of email from non-U.S. citizens, who do not live in the U.S., asking how they can join the U.S. Military. Quite simply, you can't. In order to join any branch of the United States Military, one must either be a U.S. Citizen, or one must be a legal immigrant, currently living in the United States, with a "green card." The United States Military cannot and will not assist in the immigration process. In order to join the U.S. Military, one must legally immigrate first, and then apply to join the military, once they are living in the U.S.
For enlistment purposes, citizens of the United States include citizens of: Guam, Puerto Rico, The U.S. Virgin Islands,The Northern Marianas Islands, American Samoa, The Federated States of Micronesia, and The Republic of the Marshall Islands.
Not all non-citizens may be eligible to enlist. Applicants who have been residents of countries considered hostile to the interests of the United States require a waiver. See your local recruiter for the most current list of countries considered hostile to the interests of the United States. While non-citizens may enlist, they will find their job choices extremely limited. DOD policy prohibits granting security clearances to non-U.S. Citizens. Therefore, non-Citizens. who enlist in the United States military will be limited to those jobs which do not require a security clearance.

Enlistment Standards (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enlstandards_2.htm)

Globemeister
13th Sep 2008, 09:56
DON'T DO IT!!!! It'll completely screw your accent up! I met a Canuk who flies C-17's for the Ozzies, you should hear his accent....all f*cked up!:}:}

Flight Detent
13th Sep 2008, 10:23
Hey Slideryoustink...

How do I get one of those -

"I may be looking at the prospectus of marrying a US citizen if that helps"

I would have really been interested in seeing a prospectus for marrying a US woman, I would guess there are many, many things one might find out, or alternatively be 'guaranteed', in such a document!!

Just kidding, but Hey...

Cheers...FD...:ok:

Wings Of Fury
14th Sep 2008, 07:03
"looking at the prospectus of marrying a US citizen"

Just go to Las Vegas and get really really pi$$ed...... :ouch:

GreenKnight121
14th Sep 2008, 21:09
(3) Established a home of record in the United States.
DOD policy prohibits granting security clearances to non-U.S. Citizens. Therefore, non-Citizens. who enlist in the United States military will be limited to those jobs which do not require a security clearance.This is apparently new.

I was in the USMC from 6/81-6/89, and worked on the FLIR system for the A-6E Intruder (AN/AAS-33A). The FLIR equipment itself, and test data we used in testing & repair were both classified... I had to get one document from the "classified materials locker" each time we ran that particular test. Thus, everyone who worked on this equipment had to have a security clearance to be allowed to even enter the workshop.

One of the men I supervised was a citizen of Ireland (not N.I.). His brother was a naturalized US citizen, and had provided the sponsorship for Cpl Bray to enter the USMC, but his "home of record" in his service records was his parents' home in Ireland, NOT his brother's home in the US.

He also had a "secret" clearance, and worked on the FLIR (AN/AAS-33A).

I know about his citizenship & official home of record because he had a disagreement with the squadron CO about going to Ireland on Christmas leave... the CO denied it since Ireland was on the DOD "restricted travel list" at the time.

Blackie threatened to "have MY ambassador call YOUR president", but regulations were also on Blackie's side... leave to one's "home of record" is to be automatically granted unless operational needs dictate NO leave can be granted, and since we were in a state-side maintenance unit with no major exercises scheduled, the CO had to grant the leave.

Blackie had to "receive" a "security briefing", though... the Major from intel said he learned a lot from Blackie in that briefing about who was doing what to whom in that part of Ireland.

This incident was in Dec 1986.