PDA

View Full Version : JAR PPL to FAA PPL

Eurotraveller
11th Sep 2008, 13:10
Hi

Quick daft question which I suspect I know the answer to...

I have a JAR PPL with night rating, and have completed my ME-IR skills test. I haven't yet applied for the IR to go on my license even though I've passed the skills test (I'm waiting until I've done my CPL to apply for the pair of them together to save a bit of money).

Once I've done my CPL, I want to do some SEP hour building for a week in the states to get up to the 100hrs I need to get my CPL (and the IR at the same time) issued.

Am I right in thinking that by applying to 'convert' my JAR license to an FAA license, my JAR license, including my latent IR skills test pass, remains completely current and valid? Ie. I will have a JAR license with an FAA license running side by side?

Sorry for the daft question but I'm hoping someone will know. Last thing I want to do is find myself somehow invalidating my JAR license and IR skills test pass!! (Paranoid I know..)

Cheers.

BigGrecian
11th Sep 2008, 14:57
Indeed.

CAA form SRG1160: UK Licence Verification Authorisation for Licence Validation | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=521)

FAA Page Airmen Certification: Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

So you send the CAA page to the CAA with the relevant fee, currently at forty of Her Majesty's Stirling Pounds.

Fax or mail the FAA form to the FAA office in Oklahoma , along with copies of your licences and medicals including the address of the FSDO you intend to have your licence verified at. A local DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) can verify foreign licences if authorised.

Note the paper-work can take as long as 6 weeks to go through and normally takes a minimum of two, so start the process before you leave for the states.

Fill in an 8710 with the help of an instructor (or member of FSDO staff), have a temporary airmen certificate issued. The real card will be sent to your permament address or you can specify a delivery address.

Complete a bi-annual flight review with an authorised FAA instructor and then your good to go!

Safe skies. :ok:

selfin
11th Sep 2008, 16:36
BigGrecian's method is formally defined in 14 CFR 61.75 (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=e77d4a31f66be38d9af297cb39d926bd&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.2.1.10&idno=14), "Private pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license." The alternative of completing a standalone (14 CFR 61.102 - 107 (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=e77d4a31f66be38d9af297cb39d926bd&rgn=div6&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.5&idno=14)) may prove more convenient in cases where the 2-week wait is undesired, etc.

Some extra training is required (notably the night rating requiring a 100 nm navigational exercise leg rather than 1 hour and the requirement to have completed 3 hours' preparation within 60 days preceeding a flight test, in addition to the theoretical knowledge exams) but a BFR (14 CFR 61.56 "Flight Review") is not initially required. The certificate itself does not expire; a separate FAA medical certificate is required; a TSA security threat assessment is required; a vocational student visa is not required (contrary to popular opinion).

Weighing these factors the 'foreign-based certificate' (§61.75) is likely easier and cheaper although bear in mind the approval process must be undertaken each time the underlying JAR-FCL licence is modified (ie, exchanging JAR PPL for CPL, etc).

Eurotraveller
11th Sep 2008, 16:49
Many thanks to both of you.

I'm right in thinking then that by applying for the FAA conversion the standing of my JAR license is unaffected?

It's not a 'one or the other' situation where you either hold an FAA license or a JAR license - your JAR license is unaffected by the application?

Thanks for your patience!!

Cheers

BigGrecian
12th Sep 2008, 03:12
vocational student visa is not required (contrary to popular opinion).

You need to speak to the immigration officer responsible for the flight school I work at then.
Or actually make that probably shouldn't....since they would probably have a lot of things to say to you.

Especially since once of the basics for a student M1 visa is 18 hours a week of study, which any flying course undoubtedly involves.

TheOne83
12th Sep 2008, 22:35
I did my JAR PPL conversion to FAA PPL, JAR stays allways there unaffected as you where asking. To put it more easy for you I have been back home in Europe flying after that. In your FAA license it will state only valid when accompained with license XXX, that would be your european one..limitations, restrictions apply etc..

The process was very simple :) Same day i visited the FAA they handed me over with a temporary license (while the make the original one) and i was able to go fly.
Normaly an Instructor will do a biennial flight review wich requieres min. 1 hour ground 1 hour flight. Just to make sure you now the airspaces, use of radios etc. Mostly because from time to time some one goes in to class B airpace with out clearence or other serious incidents.. Enjoy ur flying!:)

TheOne83
13th Sep 2008, 00:08
of course not, i didn't wanted to make it sound that way..

selfin
16th Sep 2008, 14:06
The thread originator holds a JAR-FCL PPL with a JAR Night Qualification. No additional night training is necessary to exercise the privileges of a US private pilot certificate (foreign-based).

The period of study (either 18 or 20-something hours, depending on whether the primary component is of a practical/lab-based nature - see BackPacker's sticky guide) is unlikely to be fulfilled by an individual seeking what additional training a stand-alone certificate involves. While the possibility of doing the stand-alone on a visa waiver exists the immigration inspector may (wrongly) take a different view. Therefore the visa offers an insurance but is not strictly necessary.

The only reason I bring this up is because the scenario involving the acquisition of a stand-alone certificate in all probability is going to be driven by some urgency to forego the 2-week authentication wait.

Phororhacos
30th Aug 2009, 18:43
I hold a UK issued JAR PPL (H) and a UK (issued 1992, so before JAR) PPL (A) with a night rating. Can I get a piggybacked FAA PPL which allows both fixed wing and rotary flight? I ask because 6.175 (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=e77d4a31f66be38d9af297cb39d926bd&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.2.1.10&idno=14)(f) says "Only one foreign pilot license may be used as a basis for issuing a U.S. private pilot certificate"

Thanks.