PDA

View Full Version : Converting to JAR ATPL

SenecaGirl
10th Sep 2008, 22:10
Im just wondering if anyone would have some insight on converting my canadian commercial multi IFR to a frozen JAR ATPL.

I am actually thinking of moving to the UK to study, and do my 14 exams and my CPL and IR flight tests.

Im not sure if its a good idea...or not. I have a friend who just went through at the LMU, and is jsut about to do his CPL flight test and his first jobs could range from a BE10 to a LE45....That would never happen in Canada! (Well the jet side of it).

Anyone please some insight......

Thanks, D

Anonymus6
10th Sep 2008, 22:28
if you have a European greencard or work permit it is a good idea, If not don't bother.

SenecaGirl
10th Sep 2008, 22:32
I dont think getting a work visa would be too difficult for me. But you are right that is something that I will have to look into more closely before I make a decision.

INNflight
11th Sep 2008, 09:59
Sorry to hijack your thread SenecaGirl, I'm in a similar boat than you are, doing FAA CPL multi/IR and then JAA ATPL, wanting to convert the previous.

Would you guys suggest sitting the ATPL exams first and then converting the IR and the CPL or vice versa?

Not sure I want my IR to become invalid.

Thanks a lot!
INNflt

Permafrost_ATPL
11th Sep 2008, 12:39
Guys, do a search on PPRuNe, there are LOTS of threads on the topic.

Do your written exams first, as you'd have to do most of them anyway to take the IR/CPL flying tests.

A fair few canadians move to Europe every year (if they have a work permit) to convert their licenses and get a better job than they had in Canada. But now might not be the best time... :\

P