PDA

View Full Version : Medical insurance for exapts with PPL license

Foo
10th Sep 2008, 20:51
Hi,

I am a little troubled with getting the right insurance for my situation. I am a Dutch citizen leaving to Canada for one year with an open work permit. I plan to live and work there. Right now I don't have an address over there and I also do not have a job yet. I will be looking for that when I've arrived in Canada.
As I do have a PPL license I like to do some flying over there. Of course I do want to have myself insured for medical costs if something happens. However, here's my problem...

As I am planning to go work in Canada and leave for a longer period there I cannot keep my basic health insurance here in the Netherlands.
There are good alternatives for this, in the form of travel insurance. Unfortunately, travel insurance does not cover medical costs due to an aircraft accident (as non passenger) as general aviation is considered as a sport with high risk.:hmm:

There are only very expensive international health insurance packages which cover all medical costs (so also due to flying). However these are way too expensive and also too extensive for my situation.
I was wondering if there are options in Canada itself for insuring oneself for the medical costs due to an accident. Maybe there are some specialized insurances available there, specifically for aviation or so? Or maybe someone knows other options for my situation?

I hope someone can help me with this. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

MidgetBoy
10th Sep 2008, 21:06
Hmm, I'm not really sure about it, but every month I pay some Medical Services Plan for Canada, not sure if that's part of the government or if it's just another medical plan. I always thought Canada covered most costs.

Foo
10th Sep 2008, 21:20
Did some Googling on that and if I am right Medical Services Plan appears to be some government health insurance system? Not sure however if I am eligible for that as I am there on a temporary visa and not a Canadian Citizen. I can send a message to the email address I found on the government website at least. Thanks for the tip!

Mr Lover
11th Sep 2008, 23:23
Try with CAA (automobile association), they have insurance for people visiting Canada.

good luck