PDA

View Full Version : 1st flight to Africa...tips?

falcon10
10th Sep 2008, 11:35
I will be doing some contract flying next month from Europe to north and central Africa. Any tips will be most appreciated (ATC procedures, radar, position reports etc).

Cheers!

Frogman1484
10th Sep 2008, 11:44
Bring lots of bribe money! Small USD notes and lots of them.

Treat ATC with suspicion!

LittleMo
10th Sep 2008, 12:28
Radar? No such thing mate. Treat ATC with suspicion (you'll get cleared below MSA while inbound etc) make sure you pay your 'fees' in the correct amounts as they never have change to give u. And I hope you like big weather!
Oh and be careful of the nightfighters...:}

paj3c
10th Sep 2008, 14:11
- Tell ATC what you are going to do/ doing. If you wait for their instructions you will end up on a heading to the middle of nowhere.

- Remember malaria

- Know your grid mora for where you are and dont go below it unless on a published approach or in vmc. have your radar terrain chart out and cross check it if you are being vectored.

- as the others said - have lots of small USD notes

- if some "inspector " arrives at your a/c ask for ID

-keep your eyes\ears open. I have been on an ILS into Kinshasa and heard another a\c cleared to takeoff directly into me. There are russians in antonovs that dont have transponders and dont talk.

- dont take photos when out of the aircraft, some drunk cop/soldier will try to arrest you

- lots of other stuff aswell!!

enjoy it is a blast

maxrated
10th Sep 2008, 19:25
Falcon10

Please specify your proposed routing and destinations and we will try give you a more constructive response. :)

rags
10th Sep 2008, 21:55
Make sure your Jepps is up to date
Do not believe that the published beacon will work (lots of time out of service for years Note DRC)
In some countries the Jepp plate is realy only in the book because nobody told Jepp that the beacon was stolen 10 years ago

STICK to GRID MORAS and MSA

LOOK Carefully at your enroute charts specialy at the grid moras. There are some very big mountains in Central africa and they have a tendency to catch aircraft (PPRune currently runs a treat on one such aircraft).

Speaking French is a great plus point with ATC but remember other pilots can only understand the Queens languige

Brush up on Arc/DME approaches Lots of them.

Listen out on 126.9 and do the calls as per the enroute chart description.It may save your life

If you do not know the place and a letdown is available DO IT. Do not get trapped into visual approaches

Expect a lot of radio clutter (unnecasary ATC talk and rude pilots breaking int calls)

Slow down in good time and do not let them rush you into an approach

ALLWAYS be prepared to be shoved into an hold at the last minute

Allways remember some pilots do not give accurate position reports (They forget that most aircraft has TCAS these days)

TCAS TCAS TCAS TCAS but some aircraft do not have the transponders on so listen to the radio

HF does work (sometimes you need a lot of patients) refer 126.9 above

These are some thoughts that I hope you will read because it comes from many years fliing in a very hostile environment

Fly safely and by the way Africa is not that bad

:ok::\

falcon10
11th Sep 2008, 12:18
Thanks for the tips gents. Ill be in BGF, BZV, and DKR.

galaxy flyer
11th Sep 2008, 15:17
I was in DKR recently, a breeze. Handler for Jepp was top-notch, crew change, fuel, service and gone in one hour. Stayed at the Le Meridien. OK, pool closed. Tour the town and Goree Island, not bad. Overall, Africa approaching its best. Not SA, but not Kin, either.

GF

Review the "you know you are in Africa when....." thread.

asacrj
11th Sep 2008, 20:36
Whoa!
Reading some of the posts it seems like in africa aviation accidents are a daily occurence. Makes me wonder how all these airplanes full of people make it everyday to there destination. Or maybe I haven't be listeneing to the news:suspect:

RWEDAREYET
12th Sep 2008, 00:22
TIA my friend

BelArgUSA
12th Sep 2008, 11:11
Old timer here, been flying in Africa on and off since 1974...
Last time was 2005...
Aeronautical "civilization" only in South Africa, and coastal areas of North Africa...
All the rest of continent is basically NON-RADAR and ATC "deficient".
Learn "basic" aeronautical French language. Numbers 0 to 9...
xxx
Fly your FL plus or minus 100 or 200 feet... maybe 1 NM to the R or L of track. I often did.
(There might be another airplane at your level "ATC forgot about") -
Monitor 126.9 and 121.5. Make BLIND POSITION REPORT 5 minutes before crossing any other airway.
At night, turn landing lights ON when about to cross other airways.
(In NOV-DEC there will be a lot of East/West traffic in SAHARA area) - Hajj pilgrim flights.
All of their air forces MiG-17s have not flown since 40 years ago...
Very unlikely to be intercepted for violation of their airspace.
Control towers VHF radios, or ATC VHF/HF all require to be plugged in wall outlet.
Only ONE outlet in their office... Radio may be OFF when boiling water for tea or Nescafé.
xxx
Was it about 1993...? - I landed one night in Sokoto, Nigeria... 747 with 498 pilgrims.
Tower did not answer, runway lights ON, and wind sock was visible... I decided to land.
Controller sleeping under table. Sorry but woke him up with JT-9D engine noise on ramp.
xxx
Landing fees (and handling fees) can be negotiated...
(Fees vary depending day of the week and phases of the moon).
Take a load of $1.oo and 5.oo bills, for "tips".
(Do not overdo it - $1.oo is a day's wages in countries like Mali or Sierra Leone)...
Baggage porters, fuelers, cleaners, etc... all will beg for a cold can of Coca Cola...
Give it to them AFTER they complete their job...
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

12th Sep 2008, 14:56
Be careful violating airspace, even if you think you're safe.....

More here. (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19990829-1)

rwm
13th Sep 2008, 02:05
Do not drink the water. Be very careful with salads since they were washed in the same water that you should not drink.

rags
13th Sep 2008, 09:06
:ok:Whoa!
Reading some of the posts it seems like in africa aviation accidents are a daily occurence. Makes me wonder how all these airplanes full of people make it everyday to there destination. Or maybe I haven't be listeneing to the news

No its not that bad but there are MANY DEDICATED PROFFESIONALS (both CREW and ATC) working hard to do a great job with very limited resources

HATS OF TO THEM:ok::ok::ok:

Its up to you (like this gent who started this tread to make sure you now about the pitfalls, specialy for those who come from the organised word

rags
13th Sep 2008, 09:08
Falcon 10 withot decoding your reply, looks like DAKAR / west africa Not that bad But stil keep in mind what is said above

Makaya
14th Sep 2008, 18:34
On top of the the very good advises given, i would add few things :

Remember every ATC will ask your t-off time, ET for all points in its control zone and ETA destination. So be ready with a log after take off. But there is no hand-over to next control : at some stage, you 'll have to get in contact with both centers (if you are in such a busy area with 2 reacheable but geographically separated vhf frequencies). Start every request with DME to station (and radial if out of airways, and altitude crossing if not stable) . It usually supress the need for the next 4 radio calls. If low level, auto information on 118,1 works pretty well in the area. Remeber a lot of people speak a really poor english in this part of the world (like me). Try to stick to standard radio procedures and speak slowly. Monitor the other aircraft's radio transmissions to make sure atc do not send an aircraft on collision course with you.
Make sure your overflight and landing clearance # is within reach during the flight as atc will ask you prior to clear you to proceed to land !
Never overfly military base and "Palais presidentiel"
Don't trust notams about fuel availability or airport status.
Asecna weather office is quite good. But don't trust too much the taf. Weather patterns are very recurrent but not very predictible. Fasten your safety belt ;)
And be ready for a gps overlay procedure as navaids can be down without any notice. BZ vor is currently down ! And control ask you your gps radial and distance...
Check the fuel you asked for is really pourred in your tanks. Remember push back is not likely to be available. So park in a position you can taxi out on your own. Ask if the nearest fuel pit is working before you shut down, you'll save a cycle...

BGF is very quiet : few schedule flights and 3 or 4 light turbo-props flying low level in the country. ATC could be lost with more than 1 aircraft inbound... But you can suggest traffic separation solutions if you have better ideas ;)
Closest IFR alternate is Gbadolité, 145 Nm (without fuel and you don't want to go to RDC anyway) or Mbandaka (fuel but still in DRC) or Yaoundé in Cameroon which is far far away .

BZA : much more busy, be ready to hold at pondo. Specially at sunset. Everybody try to get back before night to avoid to be charged for lights... It's a rush with same freq for gnd, twr and approach... Kin is not a suitable alternate neither. So plan for PNR as altn...

Avoid ice cubes in your coke (usually made of non filtered water), discuss the taxi fare before you board the car, get a lot of change in small denomination, change your hard currencies to CFA in any lebanese shop or restaurant.
Same value in west and central africa, (but different notes) the CFA is actually an hard currency. Its value raised by 50 % toward the dollar since 2002 ! That's because € to cfa is fixed rate (655,957 rounded at 650)
$ to cfa was 420 to one last week.
Do not accept straight away handling without knowing what services you'll be charged for. Unless what you are gonna end up paying 1000 $ for a pair of shocks (removed from your aircraft when the next plane comes in anyway)
On un-controlled airport, make a low pass before you land to check for runway conditions and/or obstacle, people, car, elephant, wheelborrow on the runways. On controlled airports, be cautious for the exact same reasons on short final... (even on large int'l airport). Allways be ready to go around.
Take a roll of toilet paper everywhere with you... you never knwo when **** happens. But you know there won't be any paper where it happens !

And don't get married too fast during a hot night with the first lady you meet... (try several one before... :uhoh: no, I didn't say that)
A great sense of humour is a big asset.
Have fun !

theRealFlyingNomad
14th Sep 2008, 19:10
Well...it seems that our Algerian friends just received the first one of their brand new SU-35...the Moroccans their F16 Block 52 (if Im right) to fly beside their MIG-29 and F5 or Mirage F1 recpectively... But you are right...most of the central African Air forces do not look too lekker anymore.. Well, I actually just read in my belover Air Force Monthly Mag (August Edition) that the UN's are wondering how the hell did Sudanees Air forces received more than 12 Mig 29 fulcrums, while the country is under a "strict" (as they say) embargo... So anyway, even if those Airforces are "old"..its always better to keep away from tricy areas as much as possible...

theRealFlyingNomad
14th Sep 2008, 19:35
Oh, yes, forgot...lybia and their Rafales, from Dassault...they said...nice toy..

Carrier
14th Sep 2008, 20:48
Quote: "In some countries the Jepp plate is realy only in the book because nobody told Jepp that the beacon was stolen 10 years ago"

Over the years Jeppesen has been advised by various people, including me, of defective or missing navaids, wrong co-ordinates, etc. They know full well of these problems but refuse to correct their published information or even to add a warning to the incorrect information. Their policy is that they will not correct their information until they receive an official amendment from a country's civil aviation agency. In the meantime they continue to knowingly publish false information that could cause a crash. Is that what is called being a good corporate citizen?

Newcomers to Africa should always ensure that their first arrival and approach at any location is done in VMC, preferably with an experienced skipper as part of line indoc. Do the approach, cross-checking your GPS and the traditional aids, while noting the position of local obstacles and terrain. When you then have to do the approach in IMC ensure that both your GPS and the traditional aids agree with what you saw during your first approach in VMC. If they do not, then do not continue the approach and ensure that you are at a safe altitude until the matter has been sorted out or else divert.

asacrj
14th Sep 2008, 21:21
Do not drink the water. Be very careful with salads since they were washed in the same water that you should not drink.

There we go again. I have been drinking african water for the past 38 years and so far I'm still doing pretty well as far as my health is concerned.
I'm just curious however, what exactly is the quality of water in africa has to do with this topic???

theRealFlyingNomad
14th Sep 2008, 21:45
Well, for sure if all of your life you are used to drink bottle water, or European Tap water, you might have to run quite often to the toilet once you end up drinking some "African water"..but then, its like for everything, just a matter of beeing used to diferenet stuff , its sometimes painful and can take a while... (I still struggle to get used to German Beer)... Anyway, lets get back to the Aviation Part...

Der absolute Hammer
15th Sep 2008, 04:51
Funny Boys?

Reading this very interesting stream of advice,,,,,,,
Even I, with limited English know that the topic of this is TIPS.
Water drinking is a tip.
On with the topic please, no more HA! digressions!
Do not swim in puddles....Bilharzia...read about it....worms wrigggle up your bottom, come out through eyeballs, visit interesting places en route. Makes piloting very difficult. European doctors do not know about it, make wrong diagnosis, chop wrong bits off you...YUP! read all about it!

merlinxx
15th Sep 2008, 05:07
I remember at one NBAA conference in the US many years ago, the Africa Region Rep said the following (if memory is correct)

"In Africa we have airways, we have airports, we have runways, we have nav-aids, we have ATC, we have ground handlers. They may not work, but we've got em"

After having spent some time in East & West Africa, this did make me chuckle. I got to speak to him after the presentation, and his candor and advice was uplifting.

He was a Hawker TRE/IRE and now runs one of the best BIZAV facilitation companies in West Africa.

PM me for his details.

theRealFlyingNomad
15th Sep 2008, 19:47
Well... If you want another tip that goes in the Drinkable water topic style, I'm sure you heard about it, but if you have a quick look at this map (see link: http://abbott.com/static/content/image/hivAccess_map1.gif )... These are just "official numbers"... No need to tell you to bring some bullet-proof Kevlar high resistant Condoms...and to use 5 or 6 of them in the same time if you can... TRF Nomad PS: Sorry for my mistake: Algeria ordered 25 Sukhoi 30MK's (and not SU-35 as I stated previousely...) and anyway, that wont make the difference if its a SU-30 or SU-35 if you end up making a city tour around their military bases by mistake...

asacrj
16th Sep 2008, 00:38
Reading this very interesting stream of advice,,,,,,,
Even I, with limited English know that the topic of this is TIPS.
Water drinking is a tip

Any tips will be most appreciated (ATC procedures, radar, position reports etc).

I really think that this guy is asking about flying and navigation tips in africa. At least this is what I understood with my also very very limited english sir.

Der absolute Hammer
16th Sep 2008, 06:03
Then asacrj, reading back over your posts, see no TIPS at all...so...bye bye?