PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a cheap flight to Toronto..

scudpilot
10th Sep 2008, 09:27
Hi All,

Debating a trip to Toronto around Christmas, my ride of choice has gone bust... any suggestions on airlines, or even bucket shops that can do me a decent price

Cheers

ps..departing LHR / LGW type area.

A2QFI
10th Sep 2008, 10:28
A friend just lost out with Zoom and got an Air Canada flight to Toronto for just under £400 return.Convenient timings - 1500 out of LHR and land back at 0830. Try travelsupermarket.com and skyscanner; there is another one called kayak which I haven't looked at. Xmas will boost the prices a bit.

hippotamus
10th Sep 2008, 13:28
Flyglobespan - they go into hamilton rather than pearson but run a transfer coach into downtown

Airtransat

Possibly Icelandiar as well

or KLM via Schipol

all options we had to look at when Zoom went belly up on us

theothersimon
10th Sep 2008, 15:51
Try Canadian Affair as well.

Globaliser
10th Sep 2008, 17:16
Depends what you mean by "decent price". You might want to try following up this (https://lfn.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/lfn.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3354&p_created=1219999024&p_sid=amNBYwdj&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0 xMSZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU 9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1) to see whether it would get you anything better than is available to the general public.

Married a Canadian
12th Sep 2008, 13:31
Do you want to go direct or via?

Direct flights...Air Canada, BA, Transat, Thomas Cook (although not sure if they have a xmas schedule)

Via flights

Air France, KLM, Lufthansa, Icelandair (pricey last time I checked but they include a stopover in Iceland if you wish), and all the American carriers via their respective hubs.

I agree that Canadianaffair have a good selection. My sister managed to get an Air transat flight last year at xmas for 400 pounds return. Not bad I though..although she did book it EARLY. I think you would be doing well to get that price for xmas. Try all the major travel sites and see

Flyglobespan.....how have people found them? It seems to me that they NEVER seem to arrive at the same time each day...are they early, late, unreliable??

hippotamus
13th Sep 2008, 15:37
were on time/early for both flights Hamilton/belfast last week for the MIL.

Can't judge on just one flight but MIL had no complaints which is a miracle in itself !!!!!!!!!!!

Donkey497
13th Sep 2008, 22:11
Have flown Globespan a good few time both to Toronto & Hamilton - never had any issues & to be honest I've found them to give better service than most low cost operations & I'd recommend them any day:ok::ok::ok:.

Other folks haven't been so lucky, but that's the way the crumble cookies.:(

Having said that, I don't think that FlyGlobespan is a good option for you as I think that the toronto flights come to a halt for the winter in about four weeks.:(

remarkablebean
15th Sep 2008, 13:39
The options to Hamilton and Toronto direct are:

Thomas Cook, which operate some services on behalf of Transat
Transat from LGW, and occasionally - once a week, LHR
Globespan from LGW to Hamilton (they offer a coach service from Hamilton to downtown Toronto if required)
Believe Skyservice will be taking up some of the Zoom slack

In terms of the "majors" BA and Air Canada. On the return, Air Canada offer the daytripper which departs at c. 0900 and arrives Heathrow same night, c. 21.00-ish - no jet lag, but a whole day wasted in the air if you want to look at it that way.

Plenty options via CDG, Schiphol and Frankfurt with AF, KLM and AC/LH.

Pricing around Xmas will inevitably spike, so best to think about buying now to get the cheap prices, on a credit card so the "protection" kicks in...