PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Commercial/ATPL from either FAA or JAA?

tottigol
10th Sep 2008, 08:20
Hallo, suddenly my better half (literally) seems to be fond of Canada so I am obliged to ask.
Any prospects for a non travelling job in the Vancouver area for a non Canadian with experience and a ATPL?

RavenII
10th Sep 2008, 08:22
A lot of my friends moved to Canada in the last year, it's apperently easy to get a Visa once you have your Canadian CPL....

skidbiter2
10th Sep 2008, 08:35
Helijet would be my suggestion if you have an ATPL and don't want to leave Van.

tottigol
12th Oct 2008, 17:34
What would be entailed in acquiring a Canadian Helicopter License on the basis of either an FAA or JAA ATPL/H?

paco
12th Oct 2008, 18:33
You will be exempt formal training but will still have to take the exams and a flight check

Phil

tottigol
12th Oct 2008, 18:55
Thanks Phil, are you still in the UAEs?

paco
12th Oct 2008, 19:40
No, at Wycombe Air Park - got sidetracked in to this: Caledonian Advanced Pilot Training (http://www.captonline.com)

phil

HS125
12th Oct 2008, 20:51
Iīm sure there is a bilateral agreement that if you have an FAA pilot certificate, you sit one exam in Canada and you get a Canadian license with everything thatīs on your FAA pilot certificate.

Staff Instruction (SI) No. 401-001 (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/IMSdoc/IMSDocuments/400_series/401-001.htm)

Conversion between U.S. and Canadian Pilot Licences (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/general/personnel/USConversion/ChapterI.htm)

The specifics here seem to relate to aeroplanes but there are contact numbers for the relevant offices as well.

I think you also need to do a Canadian medical.

leee
12th Oct 2008, 21:53
Hi,

When i converted my Faa license they only gave you type ratings for machines that you had over ten hours in.
I took TWO (only bitter after coming home to the UK and converting) ATPL exams that you can sit at any time you like and they give you the results straight away.
The longest bit seemed to be waiting for your medical to come through which you need to take the exams!.

Its good fun flying up there though.

Lee...

darrenphughes
12th Oct 2008, 22:08
You need a medical to take the ATPL written exams?????

Hedge36
13th Oct 2008, 00:18
Yep - including an EKG. Stuff's stressful, dontcha know.

darrenphughes
13th Oct 2008, 01:52
Can it be done in the US? And if so where would I find a list of examiners and how long does it normally take?

darrenphughes
13th Oct 2008, 02:35
Nevermind, just found the page on the CAA website.

EDIT; Ok, so for anyone who's interested. You DON'T need a medical to take the JAA ATPL written exams. I checked this out this morning and you only need it for the Flight test.

Hedge36, you almost sent me into cardiac arrest, as I'm supposed to be heading to Florida in a week to take those exams and I don't have a JAA medical yet!!

Bravo73
13th Oct 2008, 20:00
Nevermind, just found the page on the CAA website.

EDIT; Ok, so for anyone who's interested. You DON'T need a medical to take the JAA ATPL written exams. I checked this out this morning and you only need it for the Flight test.

Hedge36, you almost sent me into cardiac arrest, as I'm supposed to be heading to Florida in a week to take those exams and I don't have a JAA medical yet!!

leee was talking about the Canadian system.

darrenphughes
13th Oct 2008, 20:28
Sorry, my bad.

flyagain
14th Oct 2008, 09:42
The regs on the TC site do apply to planks only at this stage. They are in the process of changing to include helicopters and expect info to be out by the end of the year. If you call, make sure not to give up after the first person you talk to, it took me a couple of calls to get that info...:)

paco
14th Oct 2008, 10:25
It would appear that part of the paperwork to be solved is the type rating issue

Phil

ka26
11th Nov 2010, 11:52
Hello,

I am looking to convert my JAA CPL into Canadian CPL. What do you think about? What are the jobs like in Canada?

I haven't found any employment in Italy and Europe, so, I decided to look over there, in Canada. There are a lot of companies, but I'm not sure they will get a pilot with 300TT. I am only rated on R22 and R44 (300 hours).

So, what is the actual situation in Canada?

Any opinion will be appreciated.

Thanks

Heliringer
11th Nov 2010, 13:05
Mate great idea,

Canada is the best kept secret in aviation! Most Canuks get jobs before they even start training for a Helicopter licence.

Yup head to Canada and if you don't crack it over there just go south to the USA, they are always looking for pilots and have NO visa regulations, you can just rock up and get a job.

The only place I would not conisider is Australia, bunch of rednecks who dish out bad advice, avoid it at all costs!:\

newfieboy
11th Nov 2010, 13:14
Ka26

300hrs in Robbies, sorry to be honest, forget it.....lots of high time guys here, looking right now. And, if I were you, check with immigration, make sure you can get a work permit. Not impossible but highly unlikely, Landed immigrant or citizen routes can be costly and take a while. I came here 20 yrs ago, things were alot different then....lots of work and helicopter pilots were actually in demand. There are a few companies looking, company I work for was, and wanted 2000hrs turbine PIC 205,AS350 ratings, mountain and longline and not just a couple hrs training on one.They are pretty standard minimum requirements over here right now.Good luck....right place/right time and you never just know....:ok:

ka26
11th Nov 2010, 14:50
Thank you very much guys! Maybe it will be better to rest in Europe.

Regards

Fly_For_Fun
11th Nov 2010, 19:58
LOL :ugh:

murdock
11th Nov 2010, 23:10
Heliringer, definitely evil sarcasm, but I like it!!!

ka26, you don't stand much of a chance getting a job right now with 300 hours. The industry has taken a beating in last couple of years. You could convert your license easily enough, if you have nothing else to do and feel like adding to flight school income, then by all means go ahead and get it. It shouldnt take anymore than about 5 hours flight training and sit the CPL exams, after getting your Canadian Class 1 medical. However, like newfieboy said, without a visa, you have no chance of a job, and with 300 hours you have even less of a chance at the moment.

However if you have the spare cash lying around, I highly recommend perhaps getting yourself a 139 endorsement, as there seems to be plenty of jobs for 139 pilots.

Good luck.

heliduck
2nd Jan 2011, 21:25
If Chinook Helicopters at Abbotsford were on your e-mail list then you're on the right track. Ring them for a chat, they'll give you all the info you need.

ReverseFlight
3rd Jan 2011, 01:27
A question for experienced Canadian chopper pilots : taking account of winter, how many months in the year would one expect to be able to fly in the Edmonton area ? Thanks in advance.

Torquelimited
3rd Jan 2011, 01:54
Twelve months

ReverseFlight
3rd Jan 2011, 08:58
As long as my Bell has snow baffles or particle separators, I suppose ! Thanks.