PDA

View Full Version : Part 141 / Part 61 required in India

cyrilroy21
9th Sep 2008, 15:27
Hi All :O

I been a silent listener on pprune for quite some time and finally decided to go for flight training in U.S

I am planning on going to Career Pilot School .

I need to clarify a doubt .
Does the Indian DGCA accept flight training conducted under Part 61 of the Federal Aviation Regulations ?
I am planning to do Part 61 training as it is cheaper and more flexible .
Will i have any problems from converting an FAA cpl to Indian CPL ?

Thanks for your consideration
Cheers
Cyrilroy21

bad_attitude
9th Sep 2008, 15:57
DGCA doesn't care whether you do your training from a Part 61 or a 141 school. It doesn't know the difference between them.

There are no issues faced in converting a FAA license to an Indian one.

If you have any specific queries, feel free to ask.

cyrilroy21
9th Sep 2008, 16:15
Thanks for the answer

Do you happen to know wether part 141 training has any advantages or disadvantages when compared to part 61 ?
Will training under part 141 make me a better pilot ?

Cyrilroy21:ok:

bad_attitude
9th Sep 2008, 17:18
i trained at a 141 school. it was pretty strict. it polished me up pretty well.

i think a 141 school would kind of fall cheaper as the amount of hours required are lesser than a 61 school.

if i may ask, why would you want to get into flight training at this point in time? especially with the current market situation and around 2000 unemployed Indian CPL holders?

cyrilroy21
9th Sep 2008, 18:06
Well i never said i want an airline job as soon as i get my cpl ( Although that is my ultimate aim )

I am looking to build some hours either flight instructing or perhaps a small job in
general aviation

Those who want to be a pilot will always be a pilot no matter what it takes :ok:

I was thinking of flight instructing in the U.S but the govt has stopped issuing J1 visas

So i guess i will have to try for a flight instructor position in india . Until then i still have to keep trying and not lose hope

Cheers:)

bad_attitude
10th Sep 2008, 07:12
i see, but even an FI gig in India is not that easy. You need 200 hours PIC, so that additional useless expenditure.

but yeah, if you're convinced, then no one can stop you! :)

so good luck mate! :ok::ok::ok:

flightknight
12th Sep 2008, 15:26
Pilot Training in the US.
The flightschool that issues you an I-20 is already Pt141 certified.
You have an option to do it under PT141/61. Really no difference with the quality of pilots they produce. As far as the DGCA is concerned, you need to have an "Uncle" over there to get things done.
You can still apply for a J-1 after you complete your CPL. Its all about supply and demand and there is still a shortage of instructors in the US.
Complete your ground studies for the written exams before you come over, it will save you time. I recommend www.gleim.com. You can get a student pilot license by doing your medical with a FAA certified medical examiner in India.
The airline industry has its ups and downs. You will be disappointed if you suffer "shiny jet syndrome" ( mE Fly only with uni-form mentality). If you are willing to ride the tide and work lesser fancy pilot jobs, you will make it in the long run. All the best !!!!!!!!

cyrilroy21
13th Sep 2008, 05:27
I thought about getting a J1 visa but it seems the FAA or the U.S government is planning on removing the J1 visa program to be completely phased out by 2010

I am planning on doing the FAA medical in Mumbai

Any idea how long it takes and how much it costs ?

Canuck15
13th Sep 2008, 06:56
Hey Badattitude

I have a question for you. i HAVE HAD AN INDIAN RTR ISSUES BASED ON A FORIEGN AND DID ONE RENEWAL BUT NOW I HAVE NOT GOTTEN MY 2ND RENEWAL BACK FOR OVER 6 MONTHS . ARE THERE ANY EXAMS THAT I M REQUIRED TO DO . i HOLD AN ATP FROM CANADA AND MY RTR IS FROM THERE AS WELL ...ANY INFO WOULD HELP

REGARDS

bad_attitude
14th Sep 2008, 03:43
hi canuck, i don't think you need to give the RTR(A) Part I.

it's a clear cut case for you. RTR and Pilots license from the same common wealth country! :ok:

WIKI44
14th Sep 2008, 07:39
http://www.wpc.dot.gov.in/

Give this website a good look. Must be something about your particular situation.

I don't think you need to give the Part I though, since as BA pointed out, both your licence and RT are issued by a commonwealth country. The problem arises when the RT is commonweath issued and the professional pilot licence is not e.g. Canadaian RT, FAA licence.

"DID ONE RENEWAL BUT NOW I HAVE NOT GOTTEN MY 2ND RENEWAL BACK FOR OVER 6 MONTHS . "

You should probably try to get in touch with them! Might be some other reason for the delay.

spedfast
14th Sep 2008, 08:06
Yes WIKI44 has got it right I believe.

If your RT and FCL is issued by the same commonwealth country, you can get it converted into an Indian RTR directly. This license is valid for 3 years.

The change in the rules mainly affects those pilots who got the Dobson RT and went on to complete their CPLs from USA/Canada etc

Canuck15
14th Sep 2008, 08:42
Thanks for your help guys

happy landings