PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair And IAA Argue About Final Clearance Leading to Go Around at ORK Sunday 6th

Hobby Flyer
9th Sep 2008, 14:43
From the Irish Examiner:

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Pilot and aviation authority in row over aborted landing claims

By Dan Buckley
A RYANAIR pilot and the Irish Aviation Authority are at loggerheads over claims that a landing at Cork Airport had to be aborted because of an obstruction on the runway.

The pilot of the Ryanair flight, the 3.45pm from East Midlands on Sunday, told passengers on board the Boeing aircraft that an “unscheduled” plane on the runway prevented him from landing. The pilot initiated a “go-around”, which involved circling and approaching again. The plane landed safely a short time later.

However, a spokesman for Cork Airport said there was no obstruction at the point of landing and the reason the pilot had to initiate a “go-around” was because it had been advised it did not have permission to land.

Passengers were getting ready for landing in Cork at 4.50pm when the plane began to climb again without warning. “We were within about 15 to 20 seconds of landing,” said a seasoned traveller.

“We expected to land at any minute when, suddenly, the plane took off again. Five or six minutes later the captain made an announcement to explain that the reason he had to do that was because there was an unscheduled plane on the runway.”

The authority said the air traffic controller was dealing with two flights at the time, one a light aircraft about to take off and the other a helicopter. A spokeswoman said the light aircraft then departed, but Ryanair had yet to receive permission to land.

“The... pilot did not receive landing clearance because the controller was occupied with the helicopter and the light aircraft, which had just departed. The light aircraft made a long transmission and the controller was taken up with that. The pilot took the correct action in initiating a go-around but there no physical danger on the runway and no obstruction on the ground.”

A spokeswoman for Ryanair confirmed one of its aircraft operated a precautionary “go around” during its approach. This, according to a statement, was because “air traffic control failed to give the captain final clearance”.

This sounds like arrogance from Ryanair.

No RYR for me
9th Sep 2008, 14:47
This sounds like arrogance from Ryanair.

Hobbyflyer: get an another hobby please and figure out what the PP in PPrune stands for. Total nonsense article... every go around is a good go around! :ugh:

Hobby Flyer
9th Sep 2008, 14:51
1) I am aware what the "PP" stands for

2) I agree with you that every go around is a good go around

Now, to the issue at hand. It is being widely reported that ORK ATC failed to give clearance to land. Ryanairs PR people are blaming this as the reason for the incident. I would just like to hear what other peoples views are on the pros and cons of this incident, that is all.

ukdean
9th Sep 2008, 14:54
Yet another none event.... Next rumour please....

The Beerhunter
9th Sep 2008, 14:54
there would be a lot more to talk about if the controller had given ryr a landing clearance while the light aircraft was still on the runway. :eek:

Brookmans Park
9th Sep 2008, 15:25
Don't forget that it narrowly missed a school a convent and ahospital in the process

Hobby Flyer
9th Sep 2008, 15:27
According to a "seasoned traveller."

I wonder does that mean that he/she had salt and pepper all over him/her?

;)

Desk Jockey
9th Sep 2008, 15:33
At least he wasn't an explorer, we would have had to take it seriously.:ugh:

TotalBeginner
9th Sep 2008, 15:35
Ehh, what a load of nonsense!

It is being widely reported that ORK ATC failed to give clearance to land. Ryanairs PR people are blaming this as the reason for the incident.

Firstly, I wouldn't call it an incident rather an occurance.

Ryanair's PR people are blaming this as the reason for the incident.

Why else did the aircraft go-around. They can't land without a clearance, and the authorities at Cork did not deny that there was an aircraft still on the runway which delayed the issue of a landing clearance.

The whole debate is just pointless!

JW411
9th Sep 2008, 15:45
I wonder if we are now going to be treated to 20 pages of drivel about how absolutely terrifying go-arounds are?

Callsign Kilo
9th Sep 2008, 16:15
Jesus Christ, we have to explain Go Arounds now. And more to the point, the fact that an FR a/c made a Go Around instead of landing at ORK when the runway was occupied has made the papers! I feel sorry for this Dan Buckley jurno fella, must have been a slow week at the office if this is all he could produce for his editors!

I can also see a lot of 'arrogance' in the statement 'a precautionary go-around was conducted as 'atc failed to give the captain final clearance.' The world's gone stark raving bonkers!

Rainboe
9th Sep 2008, 17:04
Not only are reasons for go-arounds demanded, but have you noticed that demands for reasons for delays are creeping in as well? A go-around is a total non-event. Get used to it people.

I would say the reason was a ham light plane pilot rabbiting on and not letting business conduct itself. He caused an extra 800kgs or so fuel be burnt and 100+ people be delayed a further 15 minutes. This took up the equivalent of on one person's lifetime for 2 solid days (or so). How come Ryanair get stick out of this?

lederhosen
9th Sep 2008, 17:38
Totally agree with Rainboe. As my fleet captain put it recently, better one go-around too many than one too few!

Final 3 Greens
9th Sep 2008, 18:37
I would say the reason was a ham light plane pilot rabbiting on and not letting business conduct itself.

Speculative b@llocks and arrogant too.

The light aircraft pilot may have been reading back a modified clearance or passing some other fully justified message.

Furthermore, s/he has equal right to use that airspace as a Ryanair 737.

I've had to go around in an SEP because of a similar transmission by CAT and I didn't throw a hissy fit like Rainboe, just accepted it as part of the game.

I didn't burn 800kgs of fuel, but in the other hand I did pay for the extra out of my own pocket, unlike the FR drivers.

What's good for the goose.....

cwatters
9th Sep 2008, 19:06
Easy to imagine what happened. The pilot probably gave the pax a simplified version of the reasons forgetting that if he said anything about another plane the passengers would have kittens and run to the media. The media contacts the airport and gets the full story which appears slightly different to the pilots version and bingo you have a "argument". At least they didn't spin it as a "near miss" with plane that had just departed.

anto nov
9th Sep 2008, 21:50
"Passengers were getting ready for landing in Cork at 4.50pm when the plane began to climb again without warning. "

What warning would they like. "We will be going around shortly if a plane doesnt get off the runway"??. Or maybe the pilot should announce his intentions to the pax before hitting the toga button? Complete rubbish

NudgingSteel
11th Sep 2008, 22:57
Well I read the scenario as the light aircraft having departed so the runway was clear, but the Ryanair flight hadn't been given a landing clearance for whatever reason. Presumably the RYR crew got to whatever minima they would use as the decision point, then with no landing clearance (due to blocked frequency or whatever) carried out a missed approach.

Now I wasn't there, but it sounds like the RYR crew acted absolutely correctly in flying the missed approach instead of landing without a clearance. Although I would be one of the last people to defend Ryanair top management (for all number of reasons), I've never found the flight crews anything less than completely professional, and helpful when asked.
As other posters have pointed out, if they'd landed without clearance there'd be all sorts of muck flying now...

PPRuNe Pop
17th Sep 2008, 15:14
Go-arounds are go-arounds what is it that some of you don't understand?

Stop wasting bandwidth - and my time.

PPP