PDA

View Full Version : Bristol gs DL, how quick can it be done?

G-HALE
9th Sep 2008, 04:21
Ok, there are 2 mods, 8 exams in the first and 6 in the second!
On Bristols website it states its possible to get mod 1 done in 4 months an mod 2 done in 3 months.

How long did it take you???
Is this time scale possible???

helimutt
9th Sep 2008, 06:51
took me 8 months. 4 months each, but I was studying whilst at sea each time, on a four month trip.
No reason why you can't do it in less than this time scale. You just need to put aside time to study and be very strict.

Canada Goose
9th Sep 2008, 07:29
Many years ago when I was doing the Mod 2 two week refresher there was an ex-RAF fast jet guy who had the week previous sat the Mod 1 exams (and passed them all as he found out the results whilst on the refresher). He was therefore doing it in about 2-3 months. But I can tell you he is very much the exception rather than the rule and BGS would probably discourage you from taking such a path. The guy was obviously very bright, you know the type, make you green with envy !! :rolleyes::\I recall the first day when we were given some tests! He was the first to finish leaving to get a coffee and I was only half way through and I ended up getting first time passes !! :E

If you did try to do it you would need to book you exams for both mods at the same time. Leave it too late and you will probably find there is no availability for when you want to sit and probably end up putting it back a month or two !!

CG.

tingtang
9th Sep 2008, 07:59
I reckon mod1 in 2.5 months and mod2 in 2 months (not including the brush-up) works well if your an average student with just a ppl background and can go full time.

You need atleast a proper week of study per subject. Mod1 will take longer since by the time you get to mod2 you'll know how to attack the subjects more effectively. Make sure you use both the BGS course and the online qb! If you do that, the brush-up courses will be just that and you will be sorted when it comes to the exams. However, remember everyone works differently!

G-HALE
9th Sep 2008, 15:20
I have 3 days of a week for the next couple months, so I hope to get it all done in the space of about 7-9 months!!!

whizzoprang
9th Sep 2008, 16:09
Managed to do both modules in 5 months a few years back.

I was full time at home with the objective of clearing the exams a.s.a.p owing to monthly mortage etc.

Basically worked 9-5 monday to friday progressing through the course content, then a few hours after dinner working on progress tests and revising that day's material. Then at the weekend, spent one day revising that week's work then the other revising one of the previous weeks work (didn't want to get to the end and realise I had forgotten everything from earlier on !)

This way it took 5 weeks to work through each module content. I then allowed a few weeks revision before attending each brush up session at Bristol.

Managed to get through all exams first attempt, but it took a lot of discipline. However, I found that once I was a few weeks into the regime, it just became a fairly natural way to spend my days.

Hope this helps anyone just about to take the plunge.

janrein
9th Sep 2008, 20:51
G-HALE

My personal experience has been as follows
- Boxes arrived from BGS Dec 1st, started studying right away
- Homestudy during Dec & Jan (took a short break around X-mas)
- Revision courses all of Feb
- Passed exams (14 subjecst) 1st wk of March at CAA-Gatwick

Note1: It had been a - more than - FULL TIME job
Note2: Made an overall time estimate and reservations for the rev.courses after 3 wks study, however that appeared to be an underestimate of the total amount of work, so I have had to work even harder the last couple of weeks.

So in 3+ months it can be done, in hindsight I would have allowed an additional month. With more obligations c.q. distractions obviously more time should be allowed.

Good luck

bowly
10th Sep 2008, 07:39
I'm ex-mil FJ and it took me 2 months. Don't forget though, that we only have to do 4 exams, so your man who appeared to be 'god's gift', had the luxury of less exams to do. Not taking anything away from him of course because if you believe all the hype, we think we are gods anyway;).

Canada Goose
10th Sep 2008, 08:05
It wasn't you was it bowly ? ;)

Interesting to note you guys only do 4 exams. I was under the impression he was doing all of them !! In mod 1 I was sat next to a VC10 RAF guy and he was doing all of them, or so it seemed !!

CG.

wobble2plank
10th Sep 2008, 08:51
Goose,

It depends upon your previous military experience and flown hours. The 'CAA dispensations machine' refuses to even wake up and dispense if you've got less than 2000 hours to input! :}

I converted an ATPL(H) to an ATPL(A) and it took two weeks to wait for the CAA to pull their finger out and offer the exam at Gatwick.

There is no time period that the 'average' joe can hang his hat on. Everyone needs the time they, personally, need. You might get hung up on a module and need to re do it.

The best strategy is to get the course and get going, try not to put yourself under time pressure from day one, it won't help.

Good luck

W2P

bowly
11th Sep 2008, 09:00
No, it wasn't me. W2P is correct in that it all depends on your experience. I was fortunate enough to have enough hours (>1500 if I remember correctly) to do the 'Bridging Package' which allowed me to only sit the 4 exams. If you only have 1499hrs, you will do the lot! It is therefore quite conceivable that your chap had less than the pre-requisite hours, and therefore had to do all 14 or whatever it is you do! For all those studying.....work hard, it's worth it :ok: