PDA

View Full Version : ADS-B in GOMEX

Hoss-Fly
9th Sep 2008, 03:09
Howdy all from Fort Polk, LA.
I read an article in the Jan/Feb. issue of the FAA's Aviation News that ADS-B would be implemented this past summer in the Gulf of Mexico. So has this actually happened? I'm looking for a graduate research project and if ADS-B is really being utilized in the Gulf, I'd like to talk to pilots and operators about it.

Have a great day,

Gator17

skiddriver
9th Sep 2008, 19:13
Installations still in planning with the FAA negotiating for space on offshore platforms. Program is on-track. The avionics installations on board the aircraft still need to be done as well.

Ian Corrigible
22nd Sep 2008, 13:21
Update from this week's Av Week:

"Installation of ADS-B receivers on 19 oil rigs and at nine coastal sites in the Gulf of Mexico will begin later this year. Many of the site surveys have been completed, and critical service will be provided, starting with controllers at Houston center. Initial operating capability is expected in December 2009 and an in-service decision by September 2010. This system will track ADS-B-equipped helicopters flying to and from the rigs at low altitude, as well as airliners cruising over the gulf."

I/C