PDA

View Full Version : Military studies with the OU

FFP
9th Sep 2008, 01:51
Wanted to ask for any first hand accounts of gaining a degree with the OU whilst being in the forces. Are they pro military in terms of assignments and deployments ? How much help was giving in crediting you for various military courses that they award credit for ?

Time for an education I think......

Ogre
9th Sep 2008, 02:57
I worked my way through a degree a few years ago with the OU, and as far as assignments and deployments were concerned they were very helpful. I sat one end of year exam whilst in Saudi on detachment, the OU were very understanding and even managed to send a second set of exam papers out in very short notice when the first got lost. I think I ended up taking the exam 24 hours later than the UK, but no problems.

As for credit for military courses it depends on what the courses were. If they gave you a recognised civillian qualification then they should count them, but it's best to approach the OU direct and put the question to them.

Ogre

Diver_Dave
9th Sep 2008, 05:15
To be looking at this the other day for
something else.

Credit Transfer - Your previous study - Professional (http://www3.open.ac.uk/credit-transfer/professional/index.shtm)

HTH

DaveA

Pontius Navigator
9th Sep 2008, 07:12
The OU is not pro-military in the sense that it gives the military special consideration. The OU is very even handed and is pro everyone that tries to study with the OU.

All the tutors I have had have been extremely helpful, military or not.

All the OU requires is not that you do the best but that you do your best.

While the OU does all it can you must ensure you get as much help as the military can give too. Make sure that you are not rostered when tutorials or study periods are scheduled. That always used to get my pip as a young whippersnapper - oh, he's at college today. Now I have the maturity to realise that that time-off at college was beneficial not only to the individual but to the service and the country at large.

Go for it. The 60 pts per year committment, typically 7 assignments and an exam, can seem quite daunting but provided you can get stuck in it soon passes. The OU says 16 hrs per week - for some people and some courses you may get away with considerably less and also not work every week. On others you may feel you are working full time.

What line of study have you in mind? The social science courses I have done have very little external reading and no books to buy. The history courses are very reading intensive. For one TMA I had to buy about 6 books but that was exceptional.

Beatriz Fontana
9th Sep 2008, 07:18
Both my under and post-grad degrees were distance learning (over seven years) and were shuffled around various short term deployments.

The OU were extremely helpful, particularly the courses with a good on-line presence, such as virtual tutorials, student chat rooms and direct email contact with tutors and other students.

I can highly recommend it - I know lots of people who have done similar - and the Services / MoD are very supportive once you get going with your studies, particularly if they are relevant to your work or career stream.

Archimedes
9th Sep 2008, 08:43
From the 'other side of the hill'. I taught one of the OU history courses about ten years ago. Being a slightly touchier-feelier organisation than some universities were at the time, the OU took particular care in supporting new tutors with tips and SOPs regarding the way in which we should deal with certain cases.

The rule of thumb for my region, which I believe was meant to be the standard approach, was that while service personnel shouldn't be given special treatment over and above extensions, etc, granted when compared to other students, we should be aware (I was, but that's by the by) that the demands of their employment were particularly onerous, and that we should be as flexible as possible in accommodating extensions and be prepared to provide additional advice which might be required to help guide people through.

This was in the days before the OU was able to exploit on-line materials in the way it can now (how did we ever manage??), but I believe that the basic philosophy remains the same.

It's Not Working
9th Sep 2008, 09:46
FFP

I think I am right in saying that the OU has come top university in "Students' Satisfaction", voted for by actual students, for the last 2 years. My previous Electronic Engineering HND attracted 190 points towards a 360 point Honours BSc, I am currently plodding through 3rd year maths. 60 points a year is do-able but don't under estimate the commitment it requires, from you, your family and also to some extent your team at work. Personally 30 points a year is all I am willing to commit to. I don't think there are any comments above that I would disagree with. If you want to dip you toe in the water then start with a 10-point Level One course. If science is your thing, and it's been a while since your last period of study, try S151, Maths for Science. It costs £140 and starts 4 times a year.

One thing I would point out is that you can't study at your own pace in the true sense of the word. You have assignment dates to meet (there is a little bit of flexibility in some of these dates depending upon your tutor) and the exam is on a set date; get behind the published drag-curve at your peril.

Good luck - go for it.

c130jbloke
9th Sep 2008, 09:51
FFP.

What is going on with the ATPL ???

passiveobserver
9th Sep 2008, 13:54
I echo everything above - BSc took me 10 years (7 years of studying) fitted around various 'career' courses, busy deployment times, children being born etc.

I'm now studying my MBA and so far so good.

The OU support is superb, they are flexible and the delivery technique means you can study anywhere (I've studied in the desert, in a tent, in 5-star hotels and down the back of pretty much every type of transport aircraft).

The OU is also very good at recognising your military 'quals', I don't know about recognition for all ranks (the learning education resettlement centre will) but - graduate of Cranwell = points; wear a brevet/wings = points; ISS/JOCC/ICSC etc = points. And we all know what points make....

I say do it - you have nothing to lose (Enhance Learning Credits will pay!)

FFP
9th Sep 2008, 14:36
Great posts. Thanks everyone. Just what I was looking for.

Thinking of something along the lines of Politics / International relations.

C130J,

Got the ATPL a few years back. Looking to get a degree now without jumping in at the MSc level.

Joe Black
9th Sep 2008, 15:40
Does anyone know if the NCA qualifications are recognised? I appreciate the initial aircrew training course is considerably less than IOT but I would have thought that maybe the ILM certificate gained during professional traing on 55R would count.
Joe:ok:

passiveobserver
9th Sep 2008, 16:04
The official list is here Credit Transfer - Your previous study - Professional (http://www3.open.ac.uk/credit-transfer/professional/inst000123.shtm)

Still might be worth asking at the learning centre (depends how switched on they are!) or contact the OU direct Credit Transfer - Contact us (http://www3.open.ac.uk/credit-transfer/contact.shtm)

c130jbloke
9th Sep 2008, 17:18
Yes the NCA quals are recognised. Talk to 55(r) for more details. Try this one too:

City & Guilds | HM Armed forces (http://www.cityandguilds.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-9FB4DF2F-4D15C805/cgonline/hs.xsl/1208.html)

wilma_flintstone
9th Sep 2008, 18:49
My experiences have not been as positive as others. The flexibility and understanding is very dependant on your course and tutor and you cannot always rely on having IT and connectivity to meet their ever growing demand for assignments to be sumbitted electronically. I had one tutor who wouldn't accept things even one day past the deadline and had to abandon my current course this year when the internet link was down on detachment for more than 3 weeks (it was an online course with all activities completed on the www and everything submitted electronically (and the det was unscheduled)). The forces encourage you to study and improve yourself, but apart from 1 week a year summer school, the exam and if you are lucky the odd tutorial, it is in your own time and is a huge long term regular commitment to undertake. If I had to study the full hours they allow for each course I would not be one year away from my degree. Fortunately I have got away doing the bare minimum as well as doing my job and attempting to have a life.

Go for it, but realise it will take up a huge amount of your free time.