PDA

View Full Version : LOX International

dallas
8th Sep 2008, 16:25
I was googling something to do with Brize the other day and stumbled across this: http://www.pleiade.org/loxreport06.html

In summary, it's a serious proposal to alleviate the future shortage of runway space in the London area, and involves bulldozing umpteen squares miles of land south of the current Brize, to be replaced by a Dallas-sized multiple runway airport accommodating 120 million pax per annum. Figure 23 made me smile - Re-located RAF Brize Norton sort of squeezed to the North of this new megalith.

I'm amazed how much detail is already included in the plan - have a look!

pr00ne
8th Sep 2008, 16:43
Looney Tunes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lurking123
8th Sep 2008, 16:53
It isn't too barking an idea. However, in typical British fashion we would spend a couple of decades practising our democratic right to argue the proposal to death. If aviation were to continue to expand at the rate it has over the last 60 years or so, then Heathrow would be dead in the water.

Man-on-the-fence
8th Sep 2008, 16:55
This is the same plan that was kicked into touch 10 years ago. Hasnt anyone told them that Thames Water are going to build a bloody great reservoir in the middle of their airport!!

It will be nice to see seaplanes from my kitchen windows (see my profile for my location)

SirToppamHat
8th Sep 2008, 17:35
I think they really screwed the pooch when they dug up Greenham Common to make the Newbury by-pass. Greenham has (had) a huge runway and would have made a pretty good out-of-town airport with the appropriate investment in links (silly me).

STH

6foottanker
8th Sep 2008, 18:32
Try asking Sir Richard Branson, I think it's his land.

airborne_artist
8th Sep 2008, 18:54
M-o-F is correct - Thames Water are building a reservoir in exactly the same spot (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/5343646.stm#name)

Branson's pad is to the N of Oxford, and I don' think he owns any of the land in question.

Roadster280
8th Sep 2008, 20:10
Looks like KATL to me!

BG2R
9th Sep 2008, 15:17
Barking... and no-one seems to consider Benson and Odiham in all this. SH - the ginger stepchildren of the RAF!:}