PDA

View Full Version : Odd Wokka sounds over Runfold

aviate1138
8th Sep 2008, 11:00
At around 11;50 this morning [8th Sept] a Wokka passed overhead on it's way, presumably, into Odiham. They pass over us nearly every day [thanks boys, we like the noise].

This time it sounded So different. Almost like one blade had a whip tied to the end. A distinct high frequency swishing sound. Never heard that before. Am I being silly or is that because [a] there is a new blade fitted, [b] something is delaminating? [c] I am getting old and paranoid? :rolleyes: or [d] atmos conditions/vortex generation.... 72% humidity today.

Wokka fan along with SWMBO. Love it when I see them fast and low just off the A 303.

animo et fide
8th Sep 2008, 13:20
Aviate

Chances are that a piece of blade tape is loose and will make that noise, nothing damaging or dangerous!!

PICKS135
8th Sep 2008, 13:28
Almost like one blade had a whip tied to the end.

Thats a private thing between the Loadie and friend:O:O

kernowbird
8th Sep 2008, 20:47
You describe exactly what I heard on the golf course 27/08/08 when a westbound wokka flew over Saltash above the low clag. The swish was of such a frequency it seemed to be from one blade only and it was only audible as the aircraft was approaching. As soon as it passed overhead the swishing sound could no longer be heard.
Think it returned from Culdrose to Odiham later that day as Vortex 424 sounding like all its brothers and sisters, but wasn't directly (dreckly?) overhead.

RotaryWingB2
8th Sep 2008, 21:21
Loose blade tape?

Eagle402
8th Sep 2008, 21:30
Easy fellers,

All this talk of whips and you'll have that Mr Mosley on Line 1....

RODF3
9th Sep 2008, 04:05
Loose blade tape?

They put protective tape on the leading edge of the blades, sometimes it get damaged and starts to peel off giving the "woosh woosh" noise as the head turns. Cheaper than replacing a blade.

aviate1138
9th Sep 2008, 06:04
SWMBO suggested it might be a Taliban bullet hole!

She was on the second bottle by then! :rolleyes:

I pointed out that the Wokkas we see are not the ones most Taliban see!

BTW Thanks for clearing up the question.