PDA

View Full Version : Army Air Corps

UglyOneOne
7th Sep 2008, 20:11
After a number of different answers to the following question I feel that a true and sensical answer needs giving...

Do you have to be an Officer to be a pilot in the Army Air Corps (GB)?

Any help much appreciated...the Army doesn't make it very clear on it's sites.

charliegolf
7th Sep 2008, 20:21
No.

But it used to be the case that you couldn't join the army directly as a non-comissioned officer pilot. You'd join as a soldier, then apply. Worth checking that bit out.

CG

andybangers
7th Sep 2008, 21:08
CG is bang on. I have been an NCO Pilot for the last few years now on the Apache and am having a ball. Here's how it works. Join the army as a soldier (doesn't have to be AAC) try an arm of the service that promotes quick like Reme Tech, Promote to LCPL and when recommended for CPL go for it. AGAI 43 I think, is the paper work for it but check that out to be sure. Effectively you can get acting CPL for the pilots course, promote to SGT on Wings Convert to Type and be shwacking bad guys by christmas!!

Good luck
:ok:

breakscrew
8th Sep 2008, 08:43
Adam,
If you joined as a soldier, you could join any Corps or Regiment, however, the AAC would be the logical one. You the need to be a Lance Corporal with a recommendation for promotion below the age of 29 to apply for pilot training. You would then be sent to Cranwell for the aptitude tests and then do 3 weeks of flying at Wallop to assess your suitability. Once you have passed these you the go to the Selection Board. They are very keen to attract young NCO pilots, so it is not a huge hurdle. Then it is onto the Army pilots course, where you get your wings in 14 months, and are streamed either Apache, Lynx or Islander.
Good luck with your future.
BS

diginagain
8th Sep 2008, 09:10
Might I suggest that joining the AAC as a soldier is not necessarily the best option? Joining another Arm, and getting a few years experience may make you more attractive to the AAC as you have something to bring to the party, so-to-speak.

Plus you don't end up spending a few years smelling of Avtur.

Mister-T
8th Sep 2008, 16:50
I joined the AAC as a Junior leader in 1983, Adult Soldier late 1984, Selection 1989, Army Pilots Course in 1992 after completing cadre and Education courses along with completing my posting as groundcrew Instructor. As for bringing something to the party...well its all about aptitude in my view, and anything else can be worked on.

FrogPrince
8th Sep 2008, 17:45
Adam,

Depending on your age, location and what plans you have for Further Education / Higher Education, you might consider joining the Army Air Corps (Volunteers) before joining the Regulars.

The Territorial Army is losing 7 Regt at Netheravon due to defence cutbacks but still has 6 Regt, with RHQ and 677 Sqn in Bury St Edmunds and a second Sqn to be established in 2009, most likely at Middle Wallop. We don't have any reservist pilots - our role is to provide groundcrew augmentation to AAC Regts - but there would be plenty of opportunities to go on attachment to the Regulars and see the AAC at work. Being in f/t education you would be protected from mobilisation to Sandy Places whilst in the TA.

In fact, any TA unit would give you some exposure to the military way of life, though as in other aspects of life, some TA units are better than others...

Best of luck,

:ok:

FP

XAH
10th Sep 2008, 23:37
Adam

Some useful and factual info has already been given but for my two penny worth:
I joined the AAC as an NCO pilot some years ago from another arm. Certainly at that time it was easier to become a pilot if you were not badged AAC already, and from my 15 years of experience within the AAC I would say this was still the case. You only have to look at the cap badges on the pilots courses over the last few years to see that a very low percentage are wearing the AAC Eagle. Wether straight into the AAC or another arm for fast promotion if you choose to become a pilot it's a great career, but be prepared for the worst administrated Corp in the Army.

Good luck:ok:

Gnd
11th Sep 2008, 09:22
I have to say that all of the above is true and an RAF Crewman will not fulfill as much as an AAC pilot although they are very professional. The NCO route is good and a steady way to fly but by far the best way is to knuckle down at school - uni and join as an Officer. You only do 1 year at Sandhurst then off you go. After 2 years flight training you are part of a Regiment and have some (takes a while to get a lot!!!) kudos and lots of opportunities.

To be slightly impartial, this latter route is also true for the RAF and Navy with the added possibility of being good enough on selection to fly Typhoons etc........................ The harder you work, the greater the reward at your stage?
PS I took the long route, as did Mr T, and don’t regret anything apart from a small incident a few years ago with a set of wires and an over critical Standards Officer – Oops!!!!!

Good luck any way and we may see you in a few years.