PDA

View Full Version : 406 mhz ELT

beerdrinker
7th Sep 2008, 08:02
Further to the French AIC A 10/08 (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dossier/aicfrancea/AIC_A_2008_10_EN.pdf) which mandates the carriage of a 406 mhz ELT or PLB when flying in French Airspace wef Jan 2009. Those of you who want an ELT (or who fly an N registered aircraft which under FAR 91.207 must have a fixed ELT fitted) and have either the AK450 or E-01 ELT, might be interested to know that AmeriKing have released the AK 451 ELT which is a direct drop in replacement for the old AK450. Also ACK have a “late fall” release date for the 406 mhz E-04 ELT which is a direct replacement for the E-01 and uses the E-01’s mounting tray and its Antenna wiring installations.

IO540
7th Sep 2008, 09:13
Sounds like this, and the Artex ME-406, are the two favourites for getting 406MHz capability.

411A
8th Sep 2008, 16:31
There is huge consternation about fitting 406 ELT's on US registered aircraft in the USA.
Yes, the FAA requires an ELT, and has for a very long time.
Most ELT's now fitted broadcast on 121.5 and 243 Mhz, and the FAA have clearly stated that a mandatory switchover to 406 ELT's will not be required for ops in the USA.
However, flying to Canada and Mexico are a different story.

The problem arises when one desires to fit a 406 ELT to replace an older model.
Under the TSO granted to the new 406 ELT manufacturers, a greatly beefed-up mounting plate is required, because the new ELT's mounting must withstand 100G's.
Oftentimes, a DER must be hired to design/approve the structural modifications necessary, for this 100G requirement to be met.
This ain't cheap.:ooh:

So, the portable units are selling like hotcakes at a Sunday breakfast airport fly-in.

IO540
8th Sep 2008, 17:05
Under the TSO granted to the new 406 ELT manufacturers, a greatly beefed-up mounting plate is required, because the new ELT's mounting must withstand 100G's.

Do you have a reference, 411A? I don't know any better myself but this kind of thing is going to be highly airframe dependent.

I've had silly-price quotes for installing a 406MHz unit too (N-reg), and amazingly silly prices quoted for the DER stuff (which is usually done by DER Associates (http://www.derassociates.com) for about $300), but it would not suprise me if your experience comes from a certain UK avionics shop whose way of working is well known in this business.

For example, the Artex ME-406 replaces the old ELT200 using (AIUI) the same mounting points, and no new bracket is needed.

FWIW, I have never heard of a 100G requirement, and if an ELT weighs say 1kg that is only a 100kg (1000N) of force which is nothing for a piece of 1.5mm aluminium.