PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan over Lyneham!

hungryhorse
6th Sep 2008, 15:40
Splendid flypast this afternoon from the mighty Vulcan - a proper show of force! Well done to all involved.:D

flipster
6th Sep 2008, 15:48
BU99ER! Missed it!

airsound
6th Sep 2008, 16:25
If you'd been at Duxford today, you'd have seen her display. She should be there tomorrow (Sunday) as well - and Southport, if wx OK. (It wasn't today). Plus Jersey and Guernsey next Thu, and Leuchars next Sat.

www.vulcantothesky.com

airsound

Culio
6th Sep 2008, 17:11
Excellent, I've just about an hour ago been standing on the sand dunes in front of Blackpool Airport, watching all the jets land from Southport Airshow.

I got there to watch the end of the Red Arrows show and them land, it was awesome. Keep it up lads :D

I plan to go down tomorrow too, and I would give an arm and a leg to see a Vulcan in the air! I doubt it's going to land at Blackpool, but it'd still be amazing.

I really enjoyed myself watching the Red Arrows, hopefully the Vulcan will finish it off tomorrow :)

Tyres O'Flaherty
6th Sep 2008, 17:36
Saw her turn over Bicester, must have just been heading back to bzz this arvo. Brightened up the very damp shopping trip !

vc10 age
6th Sep 2008, 18:16
Saw 558 take off from RAF Brize Norton this afternoon, splendid sight

Climebear
6th Sep 2008, 19:47
Also scheduled to attend the RAF Leuchars At Home Day (http://www.airshow.co.uk/) next Saturday (13th). Planned formation flypast with the Reds in addition to the usual Vulcan display.

Logistics Loader
7th Sep 2008, 14:30
Was walking through Asda-Walmart car park Sat afternoon...
heard a roar...

What a sight....

XH558 climbing away over Swindon.....

great to see her fly again....

TangoZulu
7th Sep 2008, 17:25
Was at Lyneham this weekend for a course and was busy setting up a demo outside when all work stopped as we saw 558 on approach.

Totally livened up what was otherwise heading to be a fairly boring weekend!

Awesome.

regiment
7th Sep 2008, 17:43
when will we see 558 over cornwall we did help with a collection or are we out of luck :hmm:

Storminnorm
7th Sep 2008, 18:20
Isn't it amazing how "Hindsight" affects the vision?
I worked on Vulcans in the early '60s, and never
really got excited or impressed by the things.
They were "Just Vulcans."
I was at a friend's house nr Farnham the other
week and 558 flew over. I was like a kid with a
new toy!
Should know better at my age, but I really was
impressed by it.
I've been doing a bit of thinking about the aircraft
since then, and it really was WAY ahead of it's
time bearing in mind that it was a 1947 (?) design.
Well done to all those at Chadderton and Woodford,
mostly now departed.
And well done to all at the Vulcan to the Sky group.
And Many Thanks. :ok:

Eagle402
7th Sep 2008, 18:27
Well she, despite the continual "will she, won't she" whispers, displayed at Southport today and was one of the stars of quite an impressive show, highlight (for me anyway) of which was the Typhoon. The Vulcan was staging to the south as the Typhoon displayed and there was a fabulous reaction as the crown realised she had arrived and was going to display.

Eagle402

nickyjsmith
7th Sep 2008, 18:37
Saw her today flying over my house in Droitwich, Worcestershire at 1530 hrs. First time i've seen one in the air for 25 year's, what a sight ! Low and slow heading north west, beautiful !

Lyneham Lad
7th Sep 2008, 19:01
I worked on Vulcans in the early '60s, and never really got excited or impressed by the things. They were "Just Vulcans."

Ooh, Philistine! ;) My first eighteen months after training was spent at Scampton on Blue Steel Vulcans ('64-'66). Worked on plenty of other impressive aeroplanes in later years but the impression made by the Vulcan was deep and long-lasting.

Quite how I never heard 558 yesterday puzzles me as I live under the Lyneham extended approach. She must have sneaked in the back way... Talk about being mightily pi99ed off when I saw the thread title :{

C130 Techie
7th Sep 2008, 20:25
Have to agree with Lyneham Lad. Spent my first 3 years out of training doing Vulcan Majors at St Athan. The low point was when we started the spares recovery and breaking them up. First live aircraft I worked on was XL392 which now lies at RAF Valley.

The last couple of weeks have been great. Seeing 558 at Brize every day just brings the memories flooding back.:ok:

stackedup
7th Sep 2008, 20:55
Why is 558 at Brize every day? Is it the new operating base? I saw it from my back garden today, looked great! Does anyone know the movements for next week in/out of Brize?

Tyres O'Flaherty
8th Sep 2008, 00:38
558 is scheduled to stay at Brize til 22nd.

Let's just think about the vulcan for a Mo...

It was on the drawingboards, then flying less than 10 years after the Lanc.

Think about that

Only the engineering is old.

But it did the job.

alexmac
8th Sep 2008, 14:45
Great display at Southport :ok:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/alexmac88/DSC_0598_2.jpg

Exrigger
8th Sep 2008, 17:38
I came across them as a scaley brat at Scampton, my dad used to work on the Blue Steel and then as a Crew Chief. I also spent the first 2 & half years out of training on the OCU at Scampton and both experiences had a lasting effect.

I have supported the project from the beginning and seen other peoples pictures and videos and thought wow it has really happened, but when it arrived at Waddington and I saw it with my own eyes I was also like a kid with a new toy and I now have all my own videos and pictures as memories.