PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Nose Wheels

crapsummer
6th Sep 2008, 00:52
And the 2008 Golden Nose Wheel award for the worst GA runway in England goes to..........:D

Cast your nominations below, no more than three per person please.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
6th Sep 2008, 11:03
Compton Abbas always seems to have it's fair share of nosewheel collapses.....

Other than that I always remember landing at night on White Waltham's rwy 29 and it was shockingly bumpy, so much so that we cleared off and landed on tarmac elsewhere.

scooter boy
6th Sep 2008, 11:45
Gloucester Staverton 09/27 (and 04/22 to an extent) - rather bumpy and undulating. The kind people there usually only charge me one landing fee despite my repeated touchdowns on the rollout.

Wombleton N Yorks - used to be piles of Neeps and Tatties on the runways to slalom around and then more than a few boulders and potholes especially on the "out" runways. (Not to mention the high trees on the approach!)

White Waltham, also a little mountainous.

Compton Abbas, need oxygen to get over some of the bumps at the end of the runway.

The prize winner for me is Eshott in Northumberland where I once had a propeller blade suddenly become 3" shorter after my nosewheel went into an enormous pothole in the middle of the runway and my prop clearance suddenly became minus 3 inches. This was during the takeoff roll - I felt the wheel go into the hole, heard a bang and thought it was the nose tyre blowing, the prop remained attached and didn't vibrate excessively, I only really spotted the damage that the geordie pothole had inflicted on me when I got home - That was an expensive day out.

As if aviation isn't hazardous enough.

SB

BRL
6th Sep 2008, 11:47
The kind people there usually only charge me one landing fee despite my repeated touchdowns on the rollout.

Quote of the week :D

pulse1
7th Sep 2008, 07:58
ChufferD,

Compton Abbas always seems to have it's fair share of nosewheel collapses.....

I think that you would struggle to support that comment. I have read the AAIB bulletins with local interest since they have been on the internet and can only remember one C150 nose wheel collapse at Compton. Every month there seems to be at least one in other places.

While Compton is undeniably bumpy, at least you can see them. I've found that the ones at White Waltham and Goodwood are less obvious and take me by surprise.

But I only go to bumpy airfields. Otherwise my passengers will realise that its me. :uhoh:

A and C
7th Sep 2008, 10:56
Most nose wheel damage is due to poor flying technique and not the runways!.

It is strange that at one airfield I know one of the club won't let solo students fly from a grass runway (in one direction) and the other club has no restriction.

Very occasionally someone is unlucky enough to fall down a fresh rabbit hole or some other obstruction but nine times out of ten it is poor PPL instruction that is the root cause of a nose wheel collapse.

betterfromabove
7th Sep 2008, 22:07
Can concur about 11/29 at White Waltham....truly shocking. How they cope with the Tigers there I don't know :eek:

The old 35 at Hurn used to have a strange wollowing set of bumps at the start that even when watching a Herc use it used to be noticeable.

Problem at Compton - once you're near down - is that the runway is concave in the middle, rather than bumpy as such. For some reason, that seems to leads to nosewheel prangs there apparently...

'Chuffer' Dandridge
7th Sep 2008, 22:26
nine times out of ten it is poor PPL instruction that is the root cause of a nose wheel collapse.

Hear hear!

DOC.400
8th Sep 2008, 07:18
Can concur about 11/29 at White Waltham....truly shocking. How they cope with the Tigers there I don't know

The advantage being that, if you are ever in doubt about reaching rotation speed, a bump will decide for you.........:ok:

mrpinks
8th Sep 2008, 07:45
nine times out of ten it is poor PPL instruction that is the root cause of a nose wheel collapse.

What about all them RV's then?

28 nosewheel collapses

micromalc
8th Sep 2008, 10:13
had the pleasure of flying into Spilsted Sussex recently.
More like a roller coaster ride, so many ups and downs and on take off its like a ski slope.....good fun though.

pulse1
8th Sep 2008, 10:40
watchmysix,

So are you suggesting that the AAIB reports do not represent a fair sample of nose wheel accidents? Or that pilots who have problems at Compton are less likely to report them?

Its just that, having operated out of Compton regularly for more years than I care to think about, I am not aware of that many compared to other airfields. If you or Chuffer have some facts to support otherwise, I would love to see them. I only know of one nose wheel and one prop in the last three years or so.

It might be that, because Compton is obviously bumpy, pilots are that bit more careful. I bet that Compton students are more likely to be trained to land properly than in more benign environments.

Barcli
8th Sep 2008, 17:12
Pulse1 ; there has been a cessna , a Jabiru and a Bonanza - maybe more this year alone.

Lurking123
8th Sep 2008, 18:01
White Waltham. For a licensed aerodrome it is disgusting.

betterfromabove
8th Sep 2008, 18:39
I hear the reason 11/29 is so bad at WW is because it's the runway they use for night CX...becomes a bit of a mud-fest, then dries out.

That's the story from the safety of the bar anyway;)

eharding
8th Sep 2008, 18:57
White Waltham. For a licensed aerodrome it is disgusting.

It's called character, dammit.

Floppy Link
8th Sep 2008, 20:48
...in England

can the rest of us play too?

Nimrod615
10th Sep 2008, 11:05
Compton is better now the concrete block on 26 has gone!

plus7g
10th Sep 2008, 12:23
Nimrod615 - you are , I think partly correct although the runway is still very rough.
I believe the " owner" of CA has an on-going argument with the owner of the Cessna150 as to the runways suitability and whether it should be licenced in its previous - with concrete - state.
So there is one possible reason why the concrete was removed ;)
For tail wheel aircraft it remains very rough and most have now moved away.

jim jeffrey
10th Sep 2008, 12:34
Scooterboy

Shame about your mishap. If you fancy returning, you'll find that Eshott has a nice new mirror-like asphalt surface on two runways.

Cheers

J

pulse1
10th Sep 2008, 15:53

Is that another unsubstantiated statement which may well be untrue as well?

Flying Farmer
10th Sep 2008, 18:03
In my time as an instructor at CA(1 year), I remember 3 nosewheel incidents! can't say I saw any AAIB reports either. Wouldn't expect otherwise, I didn't see any reports on the 2 engine stoppages suffered by the schools 150 either.

Unsubstantiated pulse but seen with my own eyes, so either true or I'm a liar!

Contacttower
10th Sep 2008, 18:14

Wouldn't have thought the typical taildragger would have had a problem with the runway at Compton....after all it's usually the nose wheel aircraft that have the issues when it comes to poor runways.

plus7g
12th Sep 2008, 08:38
Pulse 1 : why do you feel that my comment is unsubstantiated ?
why are you suggesting that it is untrue ? It isnt - some taildraggers have left CA

You are suggesting what exactly ?:bored:

Contacttower: I take your point although I do think a taildragger is just as likely to damage as a nosewheel aircraft

pulse1
12th Sep 2008, 15:35
plus7g,

I have been based at Compton for the last three years with a share in a taildragger for the last two. Over that period I cannot think of any taildraggers who have moved away although there may well be a few who have, for whatever reason. The hangar is still reasonably full of them, too full if you have to keep moving them to get your own out.

So, your statement that "most have moved away" seems to me to be wrong and you have not offered any evidence to support your statement.

Still, I see that you have now downgraded it to a more acceptable "some taildraggers have moved away". Whether that is due to the bumps or the attractive hangarage that has opened up at Henstridge, I do not know. Maybe its even a bit of both.

gsora
12th Sep 2008, 17:20
If you count Tugs and gliders as GA, then the runways at Burn near Selby have my vote, got pebbledashed by the Tug on a retrieve tow, lots of wincing hoping the canopy would hold!

plus7g
13th Sep 2008, 15:18
Pulse 1 ;
I think I can rest my case.... was going to fly down to CA today but is NOTAMED closed due the runway condition !!!!!
I nearly laughed :)
Perhaps it is OK down there for Condor types but still obviously " poor condition" for normal types ?
You do seem a little defensive and perhaps contradictory - one minute you know of no tailgraggers that have moved away and then you admit there are some - perhaps tis yourself who is " downgrading":ugh:
anyway roll on summer......
7g

Contacttower
18th Sep 2008, 19:45
Interesting article in the October 2008 Flyer by none other than the owner of Compton Abbas Clive Hughes.

He doesn't mention the precise current state of the runway but notes that the repeated excessive approach speeds of aircraft, touchdowns on the last 200-300m :eek: of the runway, heavy breaking, incorrect flap settings on take-off, fast taxiing, handbrake turns in the parking area (something which I have to admit I'm guilty of from time to time) conspire against a grass runway to make it difficult to keep in good condition.

rauxaman
18th Sep 2008, 19:53
UPFIELD FARM

Have to keep weaving between those guys painting the concrete green to make it look like grass :)