PDA

View Full Version : The state of (the) Philippine(s) aviation

repapips
5th Sep 2008, 17:12
There's this guy who applied for his Student Pilot's License at the ATO (or CAA or whatever it's called) and was told his license will be ready in 21 days.

The next guy comes and was given the license the same day.

The difference?

A couple of thousand bucks!

:=

Looks like it will take a real massive overhaul to rid the Philippines of corruption...and the prez isn't helping at all...

jester_icarus
5th Sep 2008, 23:52
was this couple of thousand bucks from first hand information or hearsay?

msian1147
6th Sep 2008, 01:14
owh come on....it's the land of Pinoys...what d u expect?

repapips
6th Sep 2008, 07:02
Oh, yes of course. This is indeed FIRSTHAND info....
And the worse thing is...the first guy is a foreigner...who didn't know how it works here...well, that time...but not anymore...so word gets around...not only in the Philippines...you know how aviation is a small world...

Not really a good image we project to the outside world...

bisaya
6th Sep 2008, 12:59
ATO. CAAP. same people, new name... what do you expect? :ugh:

B737NG
6th Sep 2008, 13:04
Is there a Guy involved who´s name is Steve Snelson or Scott Michaels by any chance? Just wonder where the Wonderer is now....

Fly safe and land happy

NG

planestupid
7th Sep 2008, 11:43
The Philippine regulator is a joke. Bribes are normal, otherwise you just won't get anything done. I'll be surprised if they ever get out of the FAA cat 2!

pare
8th Sep 2008, 10:22
just wonderin' what you guys, the pilots, can say about the atc service being provided by ato. you always mention in here the corrupt system by the ato (the safety division to be exact) but what about the air traffic division. i heard that with the upcoming caap, things will be better... service-wise. there are still many highly capable controllers left in there and if you, the customers, would only intervene they can provide you with even better service. they've asked for new equipment and advanced technology countless times but nothing new has arrived. maybe you can ask for them. you have the say; afterall, you're paying for the service.

sad to say, sabit din daw ang safety division sa caap. i just dont know how can they improve if they continue to be under the same umbrella as those guys.

my 2 cents worth.

pare

repapips
8th Sep 2008, 14:34
I'm not sure if it infringes on safety, but most MNL ATC controllers are heard to have a "P-F" deficiency.

pare
9th Sep 2008, 09:24
i totally agree with you. i've been an atc for a period of time now and i still miss on my p & f sometimes. but i never had safety issues. besides, even other atc's have their own problem. the arabs pronounce p as b; the indians pronounce v as w. even the aussies and the kiwis, they pronounce a as i. bottomline here is that every atc in manila is at least level 4 in english.
going back to the topic, the state of philippine aviation, speaking on an atc point-of-view, something is needed to be done asap. last news i heard is that caap is not seen until next year. a lot of controllers are seeing it as the answer but if they continue to delay it, more and more are expected to leave. soon, there wont be enough personnel to man the sectors. this would mean more delayed flights. and don't blame the atc's, they are humans with limitations. we cannot compromise safety.
speaking of safety, we are working our arse off while this division is busy making money. and they even have the guts to include themselves to be part of the authority (caap)!!:D

urgood
9th Sep 2008, 09:50
Even some pilots have P-F deficiencies! With the present state of equipment they have i think the ATC are doing a good job..... although even they say it can be improved.:)

repapips
9th Sep 2008, 13:04
You're right pare. (Almost)Everyone has his own particular deficiency.
Sorry if I hit some strings there, no offense meant. It was just an observation and implied with the hope of seeing an improvement in the future.

I just couldn't help it when the other guy asks, "What did he say? Did he just call that traffic, Gulp Air One Payb Por?"

I mean it wasn't a slip. It was his standard way of saying it. Well at least for that particular guy.

Again, this is not an insult but an invitation for improvement.

Cheers!

jester_icarus
9th Sep 2008, 15:57
sorry fellows..it took myself several readings before i understood and caught on to what this subject was about (p and f). :)

so instead of "park at gate 14..it would be fark at gate 14?"

"roger and good day"

pare
10th Sep 2008, 02:48
point taken repapips and there's definitely room for improvement. i may have an idea who this person is.
urgood: just to give you a heads-up on what kind of equipment they are using; manila area control still uses the 20-something year-old radar connected to a french system; manila approach's equipment is from japan; clark has an italian system while subic still uses the american one. as a result, there's no automatic interfacing because of the different softwares. in other parts of the world, starting from the most remote tower up to the main trunk, they are using only one system so everything is automated.
more than 50% of the traffic are gps & rnav capable and yet they still need to navigate thru various points. just imagine the fuel and time you can save when, after reporting over the manila-hongkong boundary, you've been cleared to track direct to 10 miles final for the approach. controllers can always do this but because the radar is unreliable they opt not to. and dont get me started with the frequencies. controller ability na lang talaga ang nagdadala. they really need upgrading in there.
where is the government spending those revenues? the airlines are not getting the services they deserve.

KAchichas
11th Sep 2008, 13:09
pare most line pilots in the philippines are usually venting out their frustration with the state of our atc and traffic handling. comparison with international standards cannot be avoided. thanks for giving us an insight of how prehistoric our equipments are. my guess is still corruption and red tape? or government just doesn't care. im sure you guys are in a high stressed situation most of the time, just wanted to commend our atc for a hard job well done....

repapips
11th Sep 2008, 15:44
Yes indeed pare

Bravo to our Air Traffic Controllers!!! :D
With all these outdated & insynchronizable equipment, they're the last line of defense.
I guess that's where the priority should go. To equipment upgrade.

slatch
12th Sep 2008, 00:01
Well if GMA gets her wish and Clark becomes the gateway airport there is alot that needs to be done. Dont think they will be able to run the approach control freq out of the tower forever.

powerstall
12th Sep 2008, 02:20
you can also add the ground control to the workload of the Clark tower.

Kudos to the ATC for doing a good job inspite of their old equipment. :ok:

pare
12th Sep 2008, 07:02
the ATCs thank you for your sentiments.
KAchicas: im sure we're no different from our foreign counterparts. they have sophisticated equipment and far more advanced system that make them sound good and really confident. plus they are motivated. when it comes to skills, we are equally able as they are. i say this coz i've seen it. albeit, i think we are better because we continue to work eventhough we don't know if we're gonna get paid or not (unpaid claims/overtime dating back to 2 years).
becoming an authority (privatization is better) was good news at the beginning but nothing has changed so far. it is evident that they are just using this to get out of the faa cat 2.

repapips
12th Sep 2008, 09:00
What does "becoming an authority" mean?
You mean there are people unpaid for 2 years there? I didn't realize this could happen in a government entity.

pare
13th Sep 2008, 08:52
ato becoming caap (civil aviation AUTHORITY of the philippines).
with ato, the collected revenues go straight to the national treasury. the government gives back to ato a fraction of it as their annual budget. this budget is used for employee salaries, airport and navaids maintenance, personnel training, etc. the budget is really small and it doesn't make ends meet.
you might ask, why go on overtime when it is not being paid? well, if they dont do it, shifts will be under compliment. as a result, radar sectors are combined; towers will be working a single position instead of 2 or 3. this means delays and limited operations for all flights.
with caap, the authority will be in-charge of the revenues.

repapips
13th Sep 2008, 09:45
Ok, so with an authority, they keep their revenues and sees fit what to do with it? Without submitting the same to the national treasury as opposed to being ATO?

Hmmmm...so that's good then. Better than before?

Thanks for the enlightenment pare.

pare
13th Sep 2008, 10:28
mapi mushkula habibi.
as i said, pangalan lang ang nagbago. they keep on delaying everything. people are still leaving, most of them to the ME.

larssnowpharter
15th Sep 2008, 15:25
Pare,

I read in the local press that the politicos in Davao are using the recent sad loss of the PAF C 130 as a tool for getting 'radar' at Davao.

What's your take on this?

pare
16th Sep 2008, 08:54
That is good news for the ATCs and also to the pilots but bad news for the government...gastos yan eh.
Although it could have not prevented the accident, but (Davao ATC) having radar could have issued a much earlier alerting service and notification of search-and-rescue. when you see a target on radar suddenly disappears, you initiate something. without radar, ATCs cannot see the aircraft and will rely only on pilots' reports.
Its a sad fact that the government will only act on something only when accidents happen and lives are lost. :(

repapips
17th Sep 2008, 04:41
Yup!

Too late the hero...
Well, better late than later! hahaha

Aerocadet
15th Feb 2009, 23:34
I remember when I was trying to add a C-152 rating in my SPL.

I asked the guy at the counter and he gave my SPL to a clerk. Then the clerk said.. "Bwisit mga estudyante na yan.. Sabihin mo.. 2 buwan balikan!!!"

Tsk tsk.. Poor Philippine Aviation.

cessna95
13th Mar 2009, 04:22
An amateur driver appraising the chops of a veteran chauffeur, or perhaps a weekend rower rating the skills of a ship captain.
When the country’s fliers unwind, talk is rife about the “comedy of errors” that is the country’s pilot inspection and licensing system, one that the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) found flawed along with other air safety requirements the country flunked during an American audit last year.
“Imagine, a helicopter pilot checking a (Boeing) 747 pilot?” said an aviation insider privy to pilot check practices by government flight inspectors.
“All the flying experience they have is ‘bunk’ flying. They fly in their dreams,” another sky veteran said before breaking into laughter.
Nine months since falling into Category 2 under FAA’s two-grade safety rating scale, seven of eight check pilots of the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) failed the very same test they were supposed to administer, aviation sources told the Inquirer in interviews last month.
Pressed to win an FAA upgrade following a presidential directive, the CAAP sent eight longtime officials to Korea and Hong Kong in July for certification using Airbus widebody simulators, sources privy to the compliance process told the Inquirer.
The FAA had found in its audit that the government check pilots—those tasked to assess the skills of already qualified airline fliers—lacked simulation training and thus questioned their qualifications to conduct the pilot inspection.
The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) requires check pilots to have 5,000 flying hours as pilot-in-command of civilian or military aircraft, roughly 10 years worth of flight as captain. They must also know how to fly the type of aircraft to be used in a particular check ride and be familiar with the flight route they are inspecting.
The CAAP’s check pilots are, however, mostly rated to fly light planes and helicopters, not today’s jets of high-tech avionics, the sources said. In their view, no more than weekend pilots of single-engine propeller planes checked the skills of airline-certified pilots of wide bodies and jumbo jets.
“They are pilots of light planes or washouts of the Air Force who couldn’t make the grade in airlines,” the source said, adding that the government could not attract qualified pilots into its plantilla as it offered much lower pay than commercial service.
Odd man out
Documents obtained by the Philippine Daily Inquirer showed that one of the check pilots had zero skill in flying the Airbus A-340, a single-aisle widebody used in long-range flights.
The proficiency test report graded the check pilots’ skills in preflight procedure, takeoff and approach, in-flight skills (climbing, cruising and navigation) and emergency procedures.
“Candidate was not ready for the evaluation check. Maneuvers and procedures below standard,” said the longtime airline pilot who assessed the CAAP check pilot.
Another flunker succeeded only in the preflight steps; the simulated takeoff, climb, approach and emergency flight procedure were all problematic.
The odd one out, the check pilot who passed, was given a “standard” or passing rate during the Airbus A-320 simulation. His checker however noted, among other shortcomings, his “unstabilized approach.”
‘They got personal’
CAAP Deputy Director General Daniel Dimagiba, the official in charge of the agency at the time of the downgrade, confirmed that seven of eight check pilots indeed failed their July test rides.
“We admit that of the eight, there were seven check pilots who were not qualified. But there were some who were given a hard time by the pilots who checked them ... These airline pilots got back at them because of their experience when our check pilots assessed them,” Dimagiba said.
While the tests heavily depended on rig-proof simulators, Dimagiba said the checkers “got personal” with CAAP check pilots.
Dimagiba, however, conceded that the CAAP’s check pilots were proficient only in flying single-engines and propeller planes.
CAAP Director General Ruben Ciron had different figures. Ciron told the Inquirer that 12 check pilots underwent retraining and seven passed their tests.
“The rest (five others) are in various phases of retraining,” Ciron said.
“We have also recruited five widebody Airbus and Boeing check pilots who don’t need anymore training, just recurrency. And more of them have signified [their intention] to join us because of increased pay under a corporate entity, [that is the] CAAP.”
Retired pilots aboard
Dimagiba called this “Plan B,” the CAAP’s way of reaching the standards, for lack of qualified personnel.
He said retired airline pilots, aged 55 to 60 with around “10,000 flying hours of experience,” had come aboard the agency as check pilots “who will make the FAA type-rating.”
With the virtual lack of check pilots, airline check pilots have been deputized to do the job for the CAAP, Dimagiba said.
“For instance, the Boeing 747 pilot of this airline will check the pilot of the same airline graduating from a widebody to a jumbo jet. That is allowed until the CAAP meets the rating,” Dimagiba said in an interview in September.
But doesn’t that defeat the purpose of check and balance? Dimagiba answered: “No, because airlines have very strict policies in checking their pilots. They can’t cheat.”
The ICAO Philippine consultancy project also noted the CAAP’s below-par pilot check system in a document laying down its recommendations for the upgrade of CAAP’s Flight Standards Inspectorate Service (FSIS), the office concerned with pilot inspection and licensing.
“The current standards for ‘check pilot’ in ATO (the former Air Transportation Office, which is now the CAAP) do not comply with the minimum qualifications and experience required to be hired for a position as a flight operations inspector for small or large aircraft,” ICAO flight safety consultant James Hooker said in a document dated April 8 of this year.
Light planes to jumbos
Hooker noted that the CAAP lacked the means for its check pilots to graduate from flying light planes to jumbo jets, as required by the ICAO.
“There is no reasonable method available where a ‘general aviation inspector’ could gain the experience needed to move from ‘little aircraft’ to the large turbo jet aircraft,” Hooker said.
In an apparent reference to the CAAP’s roster of pilot inspectors, Hooker said that “a check pilot holding only a commercial pilot license cannot perform a certification function on an airline transport pilot license holder for a proficiency check.”
The document also noted the questionable aircraft type ratings—the qualification to fly particular types of planes—of the CAAP’s check pilots that FAA inspectors found during its audit.
The US auditors were given presentations showing that the then ATO’s check pilots “had ‘type ratings’ in several or many aircraft,” according to Hooker.
But he said: “These type ratings could not be supported by an examination of the records of the FAA that resulted in [its] comments concerning a lack of technically qualified personnel.”
Hooker added: “These ‘type ratings’ were based on a false belief that one only had to have computer-based instruction to become ‘type rated’. Nothing could be further from the truth.”

AvEnthusiast
13th Mar 2009, 09:09
What if I say that it's not only CAAP, it's the case with Philippine government. It took me 6 months to receive my special study permit and SPL. even I still don't have the SPL, but hoping to receive it next week.
And what's the reputation of Philippines aviation on international base, so what other countries think about Phil. aviation? I mean apart from US/FAA.

amihan
13th Mar 2009, 09:48
Comedy of Errors; read that one last October, Philippine Daily Inquirer. There was even a part 2, about the dilemma of our tower controllers.

10 months after being CAAP, what has changed so far? Virtually NOTHING!!!

Salary is still an issue and will not be resolved anytime soon. The poor technical personnel (controllers, technicians and communicators) are still poor. The reason, safety division is asking for a whopping 0.5 million annual allowance (allowance pa lang yan). Some of them aren't even check pilots and yet demanding flying pay of 500k. Yes, those nice, friendly and efficient people behind the desk who you ask about your license will be earning big money :D

To think, the main reason of changing from ATO to CAAP is to upgrade the technical services.

Buckaroo767
6th Apr 2009, 10:14
I've found this dubious and deceitful character....who wants to know?:D

subsonic69
6th Apr 2009, 15:49
the hell with RP-ATO even if they changed their names they're still the same corrupt people there..

I am personally ashamed of what they are doing.. as usual "pera pa rin ang importante sa kanila" (money is whats important to them)

corruption as always is rampant there .. i think the only person you cant bribe there are the security guards.

I even thought.. and I doubt that 80% would pass if they were to be audited by an international body..

I do have a license from them. but I'm proud to say that I didn't pay anybody to obtain it. even the interview for me to get my license were 2 days. and the inspector on the other side of the table even told me and I quote "you should just give him 500 pesos and that's it."

come on!!!:mad:

KAKAPAL NG MGA MUKHA....

AvEnthusiast
7th Apr 2009, 05:45
Sub.! are you sure you didn't pay. Because I wonder how you got it then?

Sharpie
7th Apr 2009, 11:37
Can you advise me where I can obtain a copy of the current RP regulations, or do they use FAA rules?
Thanks.

Sharpie
8th Apr 2009, 03:17
Can anyone advise if it is mandatory for light aircraft operating with Philippines airspace to carry an impact or self activated Emergency Locator Transmitter.
I note that two aircraft are currently missing; a BN2 and a Bell 412.

Another recent device that would/could assist in determing a downed aircraft position is the SPOT Satellite Transmitter. At some $200, a great buy for one's safety.

shroom
8th Apr 2009, 03:26
If you REALLY found him...

The FBI wants to know where he is, for one.

Buckaroo767
8th Apr 2009, 03:58
Have the Bureau Lead on this case against Stephen Melvin Snelson contact me and soon....Snelsons' days are numbered.

ecureilx
8th Apr 2009, 04:52
I saw the other Chemtrad BN 2 at Tuguegarao airport RP-C27

I flew the Cyclone Air BN-2 - also based at Tuguegarao, and was quite impressed with their Moving MAP GPS, and was feeling safe, when we flew into clouds and the pilot approached the Batanes Runway with precision.

I wonder if the Chemtrad plane had the same fit.

BTW, the BN 2 is a tight fit for 8 pax, and not sure if they did carry any ELTs, and weight and balance is critical for such a small aircraft

Bit wierd that the missing 412 also disappeared in the north Luzon area.

Let's pray for the good news.

pare
8th Apr 2009, 23:25
Glad to know this thread is still alive.

Sharpie, the Philippine aviation is governed by ICAO documents, SARPs (Standard and Recommended Practices), Annexes, etc. We are a member of ICAO as most countries are. They do auditing on us but it's the FAA's audit that stir the top execs. They are always concern on what Uncle Sam have to say which is ironic coz I don't remember if we ever pass their audits and yet there is no improvement being done. No wait- they changed the name nga pala from ATO to CAAP.

Furthermore Mr Sharpie, I assume you want to fly your light aircraft VFR, low-level and outside controlled airspace. But if you plan to fly IFR in controlled airspace it is mandatory to have a radio on board, required navigational equipment, an operable transponder and TCAS (ACAS). ELT, like GPS, may not be required but for your own benefit, it would be best to have one.

Sharpie
9th Apr 2009, 00:56
No longer flying. Did enough of that for 30 + years in Papua New Guinea to last me a life-time. Just interested in the Local regs etc and will track down same on the net.

With two recent aircraft missing(one found) I wondered if more modern technology would/could help in early detection of downed aircraft. Someting better than a ELT.

What comes to mind is a Satellite Tracking Device coupled to a GPS which can be used on light aircraft and cost around us$200. plus a yearly fee. I believe that the unit is manually activated but should be impact activated for better results where there are no survivors or ocupants too injured.

The Unit is used to track yacht positions during ocean races and seems to work very well.

have a look at SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE (http://www.findmespot.com)

Cheers.

subsonic69
9th Apr 2009, 07:02
im pretty sure .. i think thats why the inspector who was interviewing me told me to come bck the other day ... just to complete the interview.. and was actually smoking downstairs since meeting daw nila ..

i know its a joke na may nakakapasa kahit hindi nagababayad.. pero whats bad is nagiging resort na lang ng tao yung ganun.. we can actually raise the standards and maybe in the future be awarded or be accredited as only to take a minor exam to get certified in another country..

. oh well.. life ...

burnok100
23rd Apr 2009, 10:02
Steve Snelson .... hmmmm...This name caught my eye on this forum... I have met this guy (stout guy, looks like santa claus)... he went to see me on my office sometime last year (jan 2008 i think) and he is working on a contract to do heli charter somewhere in the Bicol region.

I have a bad feeling on this character, and i beg off to help him on his supposed contracts.

So if somebody out there is looking for him, PM me and i would gladly help you out. I hate shady characters and let us weed them out one by one ...

by the way... if there's bad people in the aviation industry in the Phils, we start looking at the CAAP :D

win_faa
24th Apr 2009, 08:56
Im reading some of the new CARs, i.e. CAR Part 1 and came across this paragraph... 1.1.1.2 Applicability para (b)...

Exactly as worded in the CARs

"Those regulations addressing persons certificated under any Part of these regulations apply also to any person who engages in an operation governed by any Part of these regulations without the appropriate certificate, license, operations specification, or similar document required as part of the certification"

Anybody here understands what this paragraph means?

Actually, there are many more statements/requirements in the CARs that are worst than this...:{

ICAO or FAA doesnt even need to do audit to CAAP, just ask anybody within the Philippine aviation industry and they will tell you how bad CAAP is right now... they are in deep deep **** :ugh:

amihan
24th Apr 2009, 18:55
CAAP has now more than 200 consultants on the payroll (now that's one for the guiness records). Half of which don't even have aviation background and most don't have aviation knowledge. Seems that everybody just want their piece of the pie. It's really getting worst in here. For us, CAAP stands for Cira Ang Ating mga Pangarap (our dreams are shattered). :ugh:

If only the general public is aware how much of CAAP's collected revenue go to waste because of incompetence.

jester_icarus
24th Apr 2009, 22:57
win faa,

the caap CAR is a law regs just like the FAR/AIM in the FAA therefore it is written like law quotes or jargon.

to sum up the quote you posted..it pretty much says certain regs apply to those under specific certificate....

and to make sure all is covered it further states that regs also apply to all operating to similar operations without those certificates.

...in a nut shell "this reg applies to all operators..legal or not"

its a way for law to encompass everything just in case the regs miss someone and its covering all..

BTW....the new regs was introduced with the assistance of ICAO/FAA to assist the Philippines.

its a working progress

win_faa
26th Apr 2009, 23:06
got this quote from CAAP personnel...

CAAP = Ciron Ang Aming Panginoon

The previous CARs dont have to be changed as they only need some few improvements. What needs to be overhauled are the people manning the agency.

By the way, got info from CAAP that the ICAO audit is scheduled this year. Should CAAP fail this audit, its a sure way of making it in the EU Blacklist... its the FAA version of Cat 2 downgrade...

question_authority
27th Apr 2009, 12:29
It's my 1st post here, so here it goes...

just today..i heard this from one good friend of mine...(first hand info)

One "pogi" in the CAAP wanted to close one flight school...due to some "irregularities" etc etc,,,,

ok.. .let say the said school have something going on....

BUT the funny thing is... the $aid POGI is in the PAYROLL of another flight school...and the $aid pogi is "very mad" to the people in the CAAP.. bec the DG did not acted on the matter, as it lack$ merit (the school is not operating)...

i will po$t more info later on on this POGI guy.

herhhehheheheheh :ok:

pare
28th Apr 2009, 02:30
win faa
CAAP is to be audited by EU this April, FAA in July then ICAO audit in October. Changes or amendments to PCARs, documents, procedures, MANOPS (manual of operations), etc. are necessary as these are part of the things that will be audited. You are right on one thing, the CAAP needs a general overhaul on staffing especially on management.

question authority
You should report this POGI to the CSC (Civil Service Commission) so he can be investigated on two counts. First, he is using his position for personal gains which is not allowed in public service (conflict of interest). Second, this is a clear case of "double-job". Civil Service rule is that a public servant cannot have another job than that stated in his plantilla without the consent of the CSC.

amihan
You sound like you are a technical staff. Are you ATC, ANS or ACOM? Where are you assigned?

twotters
28th Apr 2009, 02:43
Sorry for my stupid question: Is the CAAP the successor of the corrupt ATO?

If so, how is corruption doing there now? Can you still get your med whithin 5 mins without being checked and leave a few bills on the table of the so-called "Flight Surgeon"?

subsonic69
28th Apr 2009, 03:30
from what ive heard .. and this one is currently working inside the CAAP.. (why not go away, you may ask? he needs the job)

CAAP is much better and much more efficient than ATO...

the bad thing is that, they're much more better in corruption and as some would say "palakasan".

God Help Us.. or The people who are still dealing with the CAAP since I don't na. buti na lang.

win_faa
28th Apr 2009, 04:54
CAAP could not even conduct breifings to the industry on the new CARs, Why? because they themselves have problems with the way the CARs where written! Nobody at CAAP would dare teach those CARs to the industry! Even the guys sent by ICAO as consultant to CAAP would not dare teach or give the briefings to the industry because they will be flooded with questions they could not answer.

At the present state of the CAAP, and the way I see things happening at the agency, CAAP will fail the audit (unless, political intervention would happen). Because if they do pass, EU, ICAO and FAA will look very stupid if CAAP passed with flying colors!

amihan
30th Apr 2009, 04:16
amihan
You sound like you are a technical staff. Are you ATC, ANS or ACOM? Where are you assigned?

Are you asking me to reveal my identity on a public forum??? HELLOOO!!

Wamba wamba
10th May 2009, 12:40
A sign in the CAAP medical office says an applicant can't process his medical check up requirement unless it's 28 days to license expiry.

Consider:
1. Approximately 7 days eating up into a weekend because the medical clerk incessantly deplores that because they are undermanned :( and that she has so many others' certificates piled-up to prepare;
2. 2 to 3 days to process a check ride permit;
3. X number days prior his check ride; and then another
3. 4 days to eventually process license possibly again eating up to another weekend.

How many days leeway are pilots actually left with to juggle their schedule and process this requirement?

The clerks thereat are so technology-resistant old that they have never so far considered using computer(s) to facilitate the entire procedure.

jester_icarus
10th May 2009, 13:33
you cant say that..i saw then using an abacus...

HarmonRabb
11th May 2009, 12:59
you say using an abacus Jester..... try using his fingers to count how many days it would take you to get a check ride permit ( 2 weeks ) --- "susmaryosep "

Also, I tried talking to a check pilot regarding the "class rating" in the new CAR, and he is so use to explaining type rating that he still said you need 10 hours on a C152 even if you fly a 747.... :confused:. They couldn't even get to explain correctly an additional rating for instructors correctly in the old A.O.60.

nothing has changed, in fact I really think it got worse.... i fear they will fail the next audit.

jester_icarus
11th May 2009, 17:48
...funny i could never find the reference to this 10 hours required flying time..??

i have the new regs downloaded and cant find a reference to this at all. if anyone has an idea which page is it on..please share..

HarmonRabb
12th May 2009, 03:29
Jester and Tian Yu- it's in the old AO 60. I haven't seen it in the new regs though. Maybe it has something to do with the "class rating" I was enquiring about.

Most of us probably know that a class rating allows you to fly any single engine airplane with only an "endorsement" ( estimate of 2 flight hours) to get the aircraft in your license in comparison to a type rating ( 10 hrs) that was required in the old AO60.

I needed this confirmed by them but ................. :ugh:

jester_icarus
12th May 2009, 03:39
You can find the answer to your questions regarding Additional Type Rating Sought in the current CAAP CAR (Civil Air Regulation), Part 2, Titled "Personnel Licensing".

The problem you will have is to convince the Authority :rolleyes: that CAAP CAR Part 2 Personnel Licensing exist.

Its all in there written in black and white and its a Regulatory Law passed by the Philippine Government.

Good Luck......

jester_icarus
12th May 2009, 03:52
what exactly are you trying to do? what licenses do you hold and what are you trying to add.

the new regs is just as confusing and the worst part no one at the CAAP will touch it or interpret it. either way.. you have to say "uncle" depending who you are asking there.

the 10 hours is no where to be found..at least i did not see it. if you do see it please pm me with a reference to the regs..

i have a pfr format copy of the regs which i downloaded from the CAAP website. it is part 2, licensing.

good luck..please share anyinfo you may come across..but only if it can be referenced.

thanks

amihan
12th May 2009, 06:06
Civil Aviation Authority executive probed for grave misconduct

MANILA, Philippines – Director General Ruben Ciron has ordered the investigation of Daniel Dimagiba, Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) deputy director-general for operations, for alleged acts of grave misconduct, including issuing a certificate to operate to an airline company.

Dimagiba’s issuance of an Air Carrier Operating Certificate (ACOC) to Sky Aviation Services, Inc. (SASI) on Aug. 1, 2008 has drawn the attention of the Australian aviation oversight authority and the European Union Air Safety Committee.

Last Feb. 5, Ciron sent Dimagiba a memorandum ordering him to submit an explanation why no administrative or criminal charges should be filed against him.

In response, Dimagiba sent Ciron a copy of his “letter of apology” to Daniel Calleja, Director-General for Energy and Transport of the European Commission, dated Feb. 10.

Dimagiba said he issued the ACOC on Aug. 1, 2008 in the belief that it was within the scope of his authority while the CAAP was in a transition period and the implementing rules and regulations of Republic Act 9497, the Civil Aviation Authority Act of 2008, was still being prepared.

Dimagiba allegedly committed eight counts of grave misconduct. He and another employee were the subjects of a written complaint addressed to President Arroyo on Jan. 2, 2008 by the Flying School Operators Association, which alleged that Dimagiba and the employee were collecting $1,500 per foreign student before signing certificates. Dimagiba denied the claim.

On Sept. 15, 2008, Dimagiba and another employee reportedly threatened flight operations inspectors Capt. Andrew Florentino and Capt. Ismael Lapus Jr. to change the failing grades they gave to “organic pilots” Capt. Jayfred Basawil and Capt. Saturnino de la Cruz or else they and four other flight inspectors will not be issued their licenses and their funding from the International Civil Aviation Organization will be cut off.

Dimagiba is also reportedly guilty of unauthorized correspondence and misrepresentation with foreign authorities and international organizations. In some correspondences, Dimagiba reportedly expressed CAAP official positions with regard to RP-registered aircraft operating abroad with foreign civil aviation authorities without consulting or informing the director general of CAAP.

repapips
12th May 2009, 14:30
Amihan,

Is CAAP the new ATO?
What are Capts Andy Florentino and Ismael Lapus' positions there?

eliptic
12th May 2009, 14:46
Director General Ruben Ciron has ordered the investigation of Daniel Dimagiba

Don´t worry Mr Dimagiba! famous FG. Mike Arroyo will clear you out of this:ugh:

win_faa
12th May 2009, 23:25
Like what I said in my previous post, there was never an improvement from ATO to CAAP, they just made things worst.

For me, anybody who audits CAAP and give them flying colors would definitely look very very stupid :ugh:

Cartographer
13th May 2009, 10:20
I'm new here in this forum.

I have been with the outfit before and the sentiments of all those I left behind in CAAP are really bad. We thought then that CAAP was the answer but then again we were wrong. The level of corruption increase with no benefits for the existing employees. The undermining thing about this is that the technical people are the ones greatly affected. If things don't change, time will come when those who will be stay will be overaged guys and newly hired who lacks experince.

Many of ny fellow technical personnel are either contemplating on leaving or are just waiting for their dispatch to go abroad or to another company.

I feel really sorry for the state that CAAP is now. I talked with those people who conceptualized CAAP around the 80's and they are really sad, they said that this is not what we dreamed for before.

Leadership is really doesn't know anything about running the show. They accepted the job with no clear vision on what to do. Then they hired a lot of consultants who when I was still there, was asking us about our job. Come on, you are consultants, you should know a lot more than what we know. I was wondering if they are consultants or just "consulsol". 186 last I heard all receving 18k+ a month and having a bigger allowance that's why all of them kapit toko with their job, Plus tha fact that most of them have bested interest in having a pet project to endorse to the DG.

Almost all areas ng CAAP has consultants, before even the Personnel has a concultant.

I don't know where this band wagon is going to. I hope in the near future things will change.

I salute those who still work there and still provide the service.

Kudos to the Technical Personnel especially the ATC, COMS and the ANS....

Just my honest opinion....

Aerocadet
13th May 2009, 11:45
Oh well..

I can't believe what's continuing to happen in CAAP, it's like ATO part 2.

I have been through the STUPID process of getting licenses there.. And I really hated it..

Some AIRLINE pilots (OLD AGED) would just go inside the office and do the stamping on their own and get the forms they needed from their KAKILALA inside, WHILE SOME ARE WAITING OUTSIDE FOR THEIR TURN.

A friend of mine got his license by giving the SOMEONE there a few hundreds and a lunch meal.

THE CONCLUSION: If everyone wants change in CAAP, REMOVE ALL THE OLD EMPLOYEES! The aviation industry is considered as a very professional field. Too bad, the Philippines does not understand this. :ugh:

amihan
14th May 2009, 00:25
THE CONCLUSION: If everyone wants change in CAAP, REMOVE ALL THE OLD EMPLOYEES! The aviation industry is considered as a very professional field. Too bad, the Philippines does not understand this.

Hey aerocadet, I have been monitoring your bitchin' about CAAP on this forum and while you're right on many things, you should watch your mouth when you speak about CAAP employees.

The Safety Division comprises approximately 20% of the work force and the rest are technical staff (ATC, ANS, ACOM). They (Safety) maybe rotten and corrupt but not us. We are struggling here and you are adding insult to injury by generalizing.

eliptic
14th May 2009, 07:39
I believe ALL pinoys are corrupt more or less, they are well teach by years of the corrupt government

It goes from the taxi driver all the way up to Arroyo,and i feel sorry for the little person that don´t have a single peso to play the corruption game.

One of my best friends are a Philippine General and the story's i hear from him are beyond all fantasia

jester_icarus
14th May 2009, 09:57
Thanks for standing up. At least most of us know there are positive things going on at the CAAP. Please keep up the good work as it is always an uphill battle when one department are doing well and the others are not. keep up the good work as this is the only way to slowly progress...we all benefit from people like you who stick it out...

Thank You....:D

Cartographer
16th May 2009, 06:52
That's true Amihan. The technical side (ATC, COMS and ANS) are the workhorse of the outfit. And they are not corrupt. I used to belong to this group so I share your sentiments when then generalize all CAAP employees. You guys provide the service and comprise the major part of CAAP that's why you guys are the ones really burdened by the situation.

So in the future be careful guys in generalizing terms.

Hope things work out for the better.

win_faa
16th May 2009, 07:35
"The technical side (ATC, COMS and ANS) are the workhorse of the outfit."

Is the safety division a non technical department? The way I understand it, without the safety division there can be no ATC controlling the aircraft at all since they the safety division issues the airworthiness certificate, air operator certificate, pilots license, etc. after all. This is the main reason why Philippines was downgraded by the FAA to Category 2 due to the fact that the safety division was not capable of doing its safety oversight to philippine aviation. The FAA audit was mainly focus on the requirements of ICAO Annex 1, 6 and 8 only, which in my opinion are the responsibility of the safety division.

I guess all the people at CAAP should work together to ensure that the leaders they place at CAAP should be those who deserve it. Do employees at CAAP have the courage to voice these matters to the government since they already know what is really going on within CAAP?

somesh81
16th May 2009, 14:27
hey cn any one let me know the procedure to convert my faa multi cpl to phillipines cpl.. i want to do my recency in phillipines and as well as rt for conversion to indian cpl..

jester_icarus
16th May 2009, 14:47
new regs for 2009. depending on what privileges you will be using your CPl for. Go to CAAP website under licensing.

in a nutshell..if you want to act as PIC in a commercial operation in the Philippines you will need to show in your log book a minimum of 200 hours flown in a RP registered aircraft.

Toulost
16th May 2009, 17:56
Download the new regulations from here: CAAP - Downloads (http://www.caap.gov.ph/web/downloads.htm)

The CAR's are 5th down the list.

Actually, what you'll get initially is a Validation Certificate which will be your temporary license 'til you get your 200 hours in a Phil. registered aircraft.

After getting 200 hours, that's when they will convert your FAA CPL to an RP-CPL.

But beware, though. The process might be more painful than what is actually written in the CAR's. :ouch:

A friend of mine actually suggested at one time to stop reading the CAR's after getting all sorts of requirements and varying interpretation depending on the check pilot he faced on a particular day. Here's a valuable tip, though: NEVER EVER GIVE THEM YOUR LOGBOOK IF THEY ASK THAT YOU LEAVE IT WITH THEM. Photocopy it or what have you. That freakin' office is one big black hole in the center of the known aviation universe. :ugh:

HarmonRabb
16th May 2009, 23:40
Toulost said: Here's a valuable tip, though: NEVER EVER GIVE THEM YOUR LOGBOOK IF THEY ASK THAT YOU LEAVE IT WITH THEM. Photocopy it or what have you. That freakin' office is one big black hole in the center of the known aviation universe....

I agree -100%, they ( safety division people) are notorious for it. A friend who was converting his license was asked to leave his logbook and while talking to other pilots, they told him their horror stories with safety div., so he went back the same day, got a photocopy and took his logbook. :ooh:

However, people in medical have also known to lose X-ray results. WTF ??? :ugh:

as Toulost said: they are a BLACK HOLE. :=

pare
17th May 2009, 00:30
win faa

The safety division is not a technical department but a regulatory department. Much like the PRC (Professional Regulations Commission) for career professionals.

ATCs, like pilots, need to have an ICAO recognized license to operate control towers or man radar sectors. Also annual aviation medical for currency. The Safety Division is the office designated by the Philippine government to regulate this. However, our licensing process is not as much as a pain like yours (pilots) simply because we are already ATO/CAAP "organics" and they cannot get anything from us. We are as pulubi as they are.

CAAP employees do not have the say who becomes the boss of the agency. It is the president's choice, whoever she wants to appoint as leader of CAAP the employees just have to accept that.

RNAV.CAP
17th May 2009, 19:33
AMIHAN,
i have not read all of the past forums but these things i know

firefox...this idiot wats his name...AHHH....TINGLE CONTRACEPCION on airbus 340 ex pal is there
bembol julie annO.....feeling tom cruz with his 1000cc motorcycle(too old for his age,...DOM>>)
MANG LAPUS...ilongo piece of sh....t :mad: bully of newbies, good for nothing captain who does not know techinicalities of his aircraft, relies on his seniority and fat ass and big beer belly, owns a 45 caliber pistol but can't shoot straight in the gun club,,,,

WHY IS IT THAT THESE IDIOTS WHO ARE ABOVE 65, AND YET HOLD RATINGS ON THEIR LICENSES, ARE LEGAL TO CHECK PILOTS, GET PAID MORE THAN THE ORGANICS(WHO ARE LOUSY FLIERS AND HAVE FAILED THEIR SIM COURSES EXCEPT ONE....OR TWO??, )

BUT ARE FUC...KNG OLD!!! AND BEYOND THE LEGAL AGE TO FLY!!

:}:}:}:rolleyes:

win_faa
18th May 2009, 11:57
To pare,

So you mean CAAP employees would just shut their mouth even if the President appoint an idiot at the agency? It seems that "safety culture" is non-existent within the agency. I remember when ATCs at ATO have taken a forceful stand and did a strike to remove Villaruel at the helm of office. Nobody likes these things to happen again, but what is CAAP doing knowing that the people being appointed are incompetent?

RA_Horus
7th Jun 2009, 16:25
Yeah he is right, i have a controller friend @ ATO/CAAP, the people just shut up when they have a new 'boss', its because they are threatened & coerced(forced) by the people who are supposed to be their seniors in the office.:\:ugh::{
thats probably why most controllers are grumpy on the frequency.:}
Yep thats the culture there.:(:{
i came across this article in the net.
Homesick in West Central Africa - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos (http://globalnation.inquirer.net/diaspora/diaspora/view/20070718-77315/Homesick_in_West_Central_Africa)
it is very typical of that office.
i tried to get my ratings signed & checked in AVsafety, the old farts there blatantly asked for money, i couldnt say no, i wanted it done badly so i gave the last money i had, its was good a had fuel in my car to go home.
what if i didnt bring my car? what of those young guyss who dont have connections & enuf money to go home?
ho humm... :=:yuk::{:ugh:

ads1963
15th Jun 2009, 13:51
You guys in the PI will never get your act together again as long as you have ATO/CAAP ppl who cant run the Civil Aviation properly.

Upgrading to FAA Cat. 1 is far, far away and now PAL re-thinks their B777-300ER purchase

PAL rethinks Boeing purchase (http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/home/top-news/11742-pal-rethinks-boeing-purchase.html)

PAL rethinks Boeing purchase (http://www.pprune.org/home/top-news/11742-pal-rethinks-boeing-purchase.html)

FLAG carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL) is reported to be shelving its planned purchase of about six units of the long-range Boeing 777-300ER because the Philippines remains in Category 2 status since its downgrading by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in the last quarter of 2007.

The Faa will not allow any Philippine air carrier to mount new destinations in the United States unless Category 1 status has been reaquired through sweeping reforms in the local aviation industry.

Although the former Air Transportation Office has been abolished and replaced by the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (Caap), its director general, Ruben F. Ciron, is finding that getting back to Category 1 is a long and difficult process.

Ciron, who took over the Caap in June 2008, has discovered that the reported “autonomy” granted by the Caap for him to put in place sweeping reforms is not easily enforceable.

For one, the Caap remains under the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC), which means reforms must have the approval of Secretary Leandro Mendoza.

Pressing more technical men into service means going through the requirements imposed by the Civil Service Commission (CSC), and having his funds scrutinized by the Budget Department.

The Caap has trouble recruiting highly technical men because of the low salary structure. But when the Caap submitted a salary scale that appears to overtake the levels of those from the DOTC, the latter’s executives balked, demanding to know what technical know-how these men have that they don’t.

When Ciron suspended an assistant for committing eight counts of alleged illegal transactions, the executive refused to submit himself to an accounting before his peers and brought the case before the Pasay City Regional Trial Court (RTC).

The Pasay RTC junked the case, although the Caap said that may not be the end of it.

Caap in limbo; PAL cautious

These difficulties are preventing the Caap from focusing on its main objectives of addressing the problems that the FAA wants solved before the authority is allowed to regain its Category 1 status.

So long as the Caap remains in limbo, PAL has to reconsider its expansion plans, according to sources in the aviation industry.

On December 6, 2006, PAL signed an agreement with Boeing for two Boeing 777-300ER aircraft, with a purchase agreement for two more aircraft. A separate agreement to lease two additional 777-300ERs from General Electric Capital Aviation Services was signed as well.

Delivery of the four 777-300ERs will commence in 2009. In May 2007, PAL exercised its rights to purchase an additional two 777-300ERs for delivery in 2011.

However, Jaime Bautista, PAL president, is reported to be wary about ending up with airplanes that have no routes to fly, as they are not prepared to enter Europe at this stage when American doors are closed for them to expand.

The effect of the downgrading is that PAL and other Philippine air carriers would not be able to apply for new routes in the United States until the Category 1 rank is reinstalled.

Bautista said that having two new planes is manageable, as they can find routes easily for them, but the third one will be more difficult at this stage of their finances.

The airline intends to fly the triple seven to Canada, Japan and Australia for the time being and will transfer the A340 to Los Angeles by November.

Same caution everywhere

An aviation source said that most international airlines in the world are either deferring or canceling (then buying a cheaper aircraft type) their orders because of the global financial crisis.

The Boeing 777 is a long-range, wide-body twin-engine airliner, now considered the world’s largest twinjet and commonly referred to as the “Triple Seven.”

The aircraft can carry between 283 and 368 passengers in a three-class configuration and has a range from 5,235 to 9, 380 nautical miles. It is designed to bridge the capacity difference between the B767 and the B747.

The birds in Manila are whispering that one of the issues is that Zest Airways was able to get the MA60 certified in the Philippines through the influence of "guns and gold".

Just wondering who are the ATO/CAAP officials who lined their pockets with that deal? Amb. Alfred Yao claims that he and his boys very to the "gods" in ATO/CAAP and they can get wonders done by putting the necessary "oil into the engine" of ATO/CAAP!

When will the ppl in the islands learn to do thing right and right at the first time?

win_faa
17th Jun 2009, 01:03
Its only a matter of time before the Philippines joins the EU Blacklist. If that happen's the next President will be flying to Europe for an official trip on a foreign airline :ugh: What a shame!

eliptic
17th Jun 2009, 20:02
How come PAL not flying to Europe anymore? almost every daily flight with KLM 777 are fully booked with OFWs

KLM have no competition on this route anymore:ugh:

ads1963
24th Jun 2009, 13:54
Php 14,000,000 or US Dollar 700,000 for bibles? Does your CAAP now have to pray for the upgrade?

http://philippineairspace.*************/2009/06/caap-gone-haywire.html

Spends P14 million for Bible study
instead of hiring qualified personnel for safety standards

MANILA, Philippines – The newly created Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) is currently spending more than P14 million for a “values education” and “purpose driven life” seminar for all its employees.

Employees of the CAAP, who requested anonymity, told The STAR that retired Philippine Air Force (PAF) general Ruben Ciron, CAAP director general, has allotted a budget of P14,819,080 for a supposed “Spiritual Advancement Values Education” (SAVE) program that started in September 2008.

The program reportedly entails an employee attending “multi-level” 25-hour values education and “purpose-driven life” seminars supervised by Ciron’s consultant, Bishop Ernesto Sacro who, like the CAAP chief, is a retired military general or a Philippine Navy commodore.

So-called “organic” CAAP employees, or those that have been absorbed from its forerunner, the Air Transportation Office (ATO), characterized the SAVE program as a highly suspicious and unnecessary undertaking that uses up much of the agency’s funds and even diverts its focus as it tries to regain a Category I status with the United States’ Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) that it lost in December 2007.

“We should be focusing our resources and our energies towards satisfying the US FAA requirements so that we can regain Category I status which is the main reason why the CAAP was created,” a source told The STAR.
“But with this Bible study program of the CAAP leadership, we have wasted our funds as well as the precious time of our employees,” the source added.
The CAAP was formed upon signing into law of Republic Act 9497, otherwise known as the CAAP Law, in March 2008.

The passage of the CAAP Law was rushed as the country scrambled to regain Category I status with the US FAA.

The Philippines’ downgrade to Category II status particularly hit the country’s leading carrier, Philippine Airlines, since it was prevented from opening more routes to and from the United States and from upgrading its aircraft on these routes.

Organic CAAP employees had earlier aired dissatisfaction with Ciron’s appointment of numerous fellow retired military officials to key CAAP positions without the requisite civil aviation technical expertise and training.
To avoid questions on the appointment of these unqualified retired military officers, Ciron hired them as “consultants,” the sources said.

windsheargo
24th Jun 2009, 14:28
HEY Ate FE !!!! RESIGN !!!!

9ball
25th Jun 2009, 00:07
she won't resign.......organic na yun dun!!!!! pray that she gets a boyfriend nalang :O

question_authority
25th Jun 2009, 15:23
@windsheargo

NYHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHhHhHAHAHAHAHA

Siguro nawawala din lisensya mo no..??nyehahahahahaahahah:}

twotters
27th Jun 2009, 09:35
HEY Ate FE !!!! RESIGN !!!!

Is she still around and yaking?

romeomustdie
9th Jul 2009, 13:23
CAAP employees don't want to just shut their mouths, actually they want to shout at the top of their lungs about whats going on!....:mad:.

but sadly they can't......:(:ugh::confused::oh:

hopefully within this week or month some good change will happen....:ok::)

Reclamador
12th Jul 2009, 09:18
I hate to burst your bubble Romeo, but we live in the real world and the bitter reality is that CAAP is a hopeless case. It is being run by highly-trained-for-nothing people. They may have the right staff for operations but the wrong guys in management are running the show. Your optimism for a change is just a waste of time. If I were you, I'd get out of there asap. Yes, LEAVE NOW!! Take your talent and skills elsewhere. Some place where they are recognized, appreciated, respected and compensated for what they are worth.

That my friend is the change you are waiting for :ok:

romeomustdie
13th Jul 2009, 02:46
CAAP hopeless case???:confused:...i see birth pains the i wish we get over with....:ok:

the people who's running the show should go away not I........:mad::ugh::D
thought about leaving the agency but........
i love my job......:)
i enjoy my job......:)
i like it here.....being with my family and friends...:)
well the pays sucks,:{ :( that's life...it is better than nothing...:D

MJ....make the change........:ok:

Reclamador
17th Jul 2009, 22:33
Mr. Moderator what happened to my previous post?? Anyways..

the people who's running the show should go away not I...

These people will never go away. There is too much money and power at stake. They will cling to their position no matter what.

romeomustdie
20th Jul 2009, 05:41
I agree with you!:ok:...oo nga nasaan yong previous post niya? at sa akin?...

ano ba yong OTBD

JV126
20th Jul 2009, 12:28
heard that people in CAAP are trying their best to stop schools from renewing their operator licenses by making things difficult with stiff requirements. :*

also heard that a few generals are behind this to push thru their own agenda of monopolizing the system (flying schools).:ouch:

I think a lot of schools will close down. less jobs for instructors

Propeta
27th Jul 2009, 06:57
:\ anu ba naman yan

HarmonRabb
27th Jul 2009, 21:30
Yes, I've heard of these shocking deals with students particularly with one flying school. But let's not generalize, some schools are still honest.

afjose
9th Aug 2009, 03:55
if you encounter any difficulties with them ''baka kulang ka sa donation'' :\:\

Propeta
9th Aug 2009, 14:50
Uhm that's bad when you think CAAP is about public service and representing the Philippines to the aviation industry :=

amihan
12th Aug 2009, 09:43
Aaahh... Finally, after the long wait, it's out now. 30-40% increase in salary for the technical staff. Not bad.. but still way, way off the 100% increase that has been promised before. Although the allowances issues are still dodgy at this stage. Is this the beginning of a better life in CAAP?

FYI people, we are the technical staff. We're not included in those donation boxes that's been mentioned in this forum. They've (Safety Div) been increased as well. Will this be the end of the so-called "donations" issue?

win_faa
13th Aug 2009, 07:52
A Senior Aviation Safety Inspector at the Safety Div earns around P20,000/mo. With a 40% increase thats about P28,000 w/o taxes, this is still very LOW :{ A manager in a big MRO in the Phil usually gets a pay of about P50,000/mo. You cant convince highly qualified people to join CAAP with this kind of salary. In that case they would still have to have the donation box :ugh:

pare
15th Aug 2009, 00:27
20t is just the basic. Their allowances are just unbelievably off-the-roof. However, the donation thing will continuously be there, lantaran man o patago, it's part of the culture already.

30-40% increase might be decent enough but the fact remains the same; People will continue to leave not only because of the money issue. The corrupt practices, bad politics and rotten system of CAAP are unbearable to many employees, ATCs in particular. A big proof of this is the huge turnout of applicants when a South African HR came over to recruit experienced controllers.

What is the management's word on this? "Let them go, they can be replaced". Yeah right!? By a young, newly grad who they expect to talk to 20-30 aircraft at any given time and expect the same results. You can never buy experience!!! When will they ever learn that!?

Propeta
19th Aug 2009, 13:22
Uhm, well Philippine Civil Aviation will indeed suffer with these people around :=, if ever our category goes down the drain we can thank these people:ugh: it only take a few rotten tomatoes to spoil whole bunch:yuk:,

pompei
25th Aug 2009, 13:59
are you having problems with your pilots license talk to capt.? saturnino ''satee'' de la cruz he will fix it all just make sure you will have something for him,''volvo'' parts or money,kun di siya pwede yun mga bata niya sa tabi niya will handle it si jay and bergonio.
de la cruz an air force wash out and came to manila and was helped by another old pilot who was a syndicate leader in smuggling before lito J.
if you will renew your license be ready with your cash depending on your flaps setting on landing,if flaps 40 get ready with your 4t php
am not kidding try it....luma yun mga general dyan sa office ni ciron sa abilidad:{

AvEnthusiast
29th Aug 2009, 06:42
Hey guys,
I had heard about all those things which go on in CAAP, from giving cash to delays. But believe me I went for my initial license and I found no delyas and but found everyone very helpful and even didn't pay anyone a single penny for anything apart from the one mentioned above which you ought to pay either you like it or not. I mean the rest were not bad as I processed some of my things myslef.

optimus prime 2010
1st Sep 2009, 13:03
what about the competition between organic and consultants? how will this ever get solved. how can caap get rated gents when organic pay structure would be by passed and get paid ( higher than the president):confused:

HVHmt
2nd Sep 2009, 16:53
Can and how would I convert a Canadian or Malaysian ATPL to Philippines?

M 0.78
13th Oct 2009, 05:03
I've never had to pay a bribe at CAA/BAT/ATO/CAAP. I've encountered delays but they were mostly due to my own fault, e.g. incomplete requirements. Occasionally a delay was due to the signatory being out of town.

So I have learned to double-check my applications for compliance with all requirements. I have extra photocopies of everything. I have lots of ID pictures in various sizes.

A lot of people approach the CAAP with dubious credentials. Most student pilots are enrolled with fly-by-night flying schools. These people are just the kind of folks the crocodiles at CAAP eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

If your application for anything whatsoever is complete, CAAP has no choice but to issue whatever it is you applied for. In any case, they must respond to your application or any other written communication within 7 working days. That is the law. Otherwise, they are answerable to the Ombudsman.

The crook who ran the ATO not too long ago learned that the hard way. Having sat on an application for nearly a month, he was reported to the Ombudsman. Shortly thereafter he called the complainant and asked, "Why did you have to report me? We could have talked this out."

The application was approved immediately thereafter.

He lost his job shortly thereafter. Unfortunately his replacement is not much better.

PhD = pay here, dummy!

:D

Mysha Da Kat
20th Oct 2009, 01:22
“My training molded me into a whole person”

Dr. Ruben Ciron says his training from Asia Graduate School of Theology (AGST), Philippines, “molded me into a whole person: physically, spiritually, emotionally and relationally. It enhanced my spiritual maturity, allowing me to obtain the skills for active involvement in church and parachurch ministries.”

In Ruben’s current position as Assistant Secretary for Personnel for the Armed Forces of the Philippines, he says, “My ministry studies have equipped me to handle the Department’s human resource development, particularly in the area of moral value formation program of our personnel.” The Department has been conducting Purpose Driven Life Seminars for almost two years, not only to Armed Forces personnel but also to Philippine National Police personnel. In addition, Ruben says, “My AGST dissertation research on emotional intelligence has further enhanced my spiritual and emotional maturity, allowing me to develop more personal and social competencies, empathy and social skills to manage and handle relationships.”

Ruben says the skills he learned in his studies helped him in his previous positions as well, including leadership in three major parachurch ministries (Vice President for Southeast Asia of the Association of Military Christian Fellowships International; Director of International Team Philippines ministry; Director of Fellowship of Christians in Government), as well as Field Commander and Staff Officer of the Armed Forces of the Philippines and Assistant Secretary of the Department of National Defense.

Ruben’s future ministry goals include continued reaching out to government personnel in the Philippines and in other countries. “Please pray that I may be an effective witness in the military and government offices.”

Date: 1/7/2009 11:54:28 AM

Source: Overseas Council - ?My training molded me into a whole person? (http://www.overseas.org/news/Mytrainingmoldedmein.aspx)

Reclamador
20th Oct 2009, 22:22
Holy corrupt! :yuk:

9ball
20th Oct 2009, 23:42
this simply means he does not know one bit of philippine aviation and its problems.....

cessna95
22nd Nov 2009, 02:28
Career officers and personnel from the Civil Avation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) have asked the Civil Service Commission (CSC) and the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) to look into the rampant hiring of consultants in the agency at the expense of more senior insiders.
In a letter signed by 63 CAAP officials and employees, copies of which were sent to CSC, DBM and even Congress, CAAP acting chief Ruben Ciron was alleged to have “brought along some of his trusted people, friends and military classmates to join him in the CAAP.”
“They were hired as consultants. To date, we have about more or less 100 consultants. But what is bizarre, if the CSC is not aware of this, some of these consultants were assigned to regular positions supervising regular and career personnel,” the letter said.
The complainants said the acts of Ciron, a former Air Force general reportedly close to Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile, violated CSC Memorandum Circular 26, series of 1997 “prohibiting the designation of consultants, contractual and non-career employees to positions exercising control or supervision over regular and career personnel.”
“Our restlessness and apprehensions for the time being until these issues are resolved remain with us,” the group added.
While the 63 signatories were from the agency’s Flight Standards Inspectorate Service (FSIS), other divisions in the CAAP were similarly unhappy on how Ciron and his consultants were running the agency.
In a separate position paper, CAAP insiders complained that the agency officials hired many who “have no technical expertise needed by CAAP. In fact, they claimed many functions are redundant of those of regular employees.”
They said they will bring the matter to higher authorities, including the “anomalous and highly controversial transfer of P874 million” from the Land Bank of the Philippines to United Coconut Planters Bank, a private bank.
“Provided that they were authorized by the CAAP Board, why (was) the board resolution which authorizes the director general and other CAAP officers to sign and operate a CAAP bank account was signed by proxies and not by the regular or principal members of the CAAP Board who are the secretaries of various departments such as Department of Labor and Employment, Department of Finance, Department of Foreign Affairs, Department of Justice, Department of Interior and Local Government and Department of Transportation and Communications?” the employees asked.
The employees further claimed only Ciron and the acting corporate treasurer who is also his chief of staff have complete control over these funds.
On May 19, 2009, they said Ciron made a P500,000 cash advance “with the information that it has been approved by the Board.”
After the Holy Week, on the other hand, CAAP chief of staff Ronaldo Manlipig reimbursed P59,000 from the CAAP funds covering expenses incurred during official functions by Ciron’s office. The receipts submitted by Manlapig, however, indicated that much of the expenditures were made on April 11, 2009 during an outing at the Eagle Point resort in Mabini, Batangas.

M 0.78
24th Nov 2009, 06:43
Now we can stop guessing why Dr. Ciron has refused to vacate his post notwithstanding his retirement.

Wait a minute!

Let's guess!

1. Either he's prolonging his stay so he can enjoy the CAAP's bank account longer; or

2. He needs extra time to cover his tracks.

FSIS, by the way, has shown a modicum of objectiveness and impartiality by effecting the one month suspension of PAL's SAVP after he violated an ATC clearance a month or so ago.

win_faa
11th Dec 2009, 06:49
The aviation industry in the philippines is already "self regulating" due to the fact that the CAAP is already a dead agency! :{

caapslave
27th Nov 2011, 02:14
Does FAA not know how to plan a technical mission? Why do they have to cancel on such a short notice the audit? Does FAA not know what they are doing or is it just another lame excuse of CAAP like in the past?

Initial air safety review moved to January 2012 | BusinessWorld Online Edition (http://www.bworldonline.com/content.php?section=TopStory&title=Initial-air-safety-review-moved-to-January-2012&id=42087)

Initial air safety review moved to January 2012

THE US Federal Aviation Authority’s (FAA) preliminary review of the Philippine aviation industry has been moved back a month to January next year, a development that comes after the European Union added two more local carriers to a blacklist for not complying with safety standards.
“FAA has requested to reschedule it to a month later ... so it will be in January. They weren’t able to organize a complete team to send to the Philippines,” Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) Director General Ramon S. Gutierrez said.
A date for the actual audit has yet to be scheduled.
The government invited the FAA to conduct the review hopes of obtaining a rating upgrade that would allow local carriers to expand their operations to the US. Mr. Gutierrez claimed his office was “confident” the country had satisfied all requirements.
“Yes, we are confident [that we will get a rating upgrade]. Still, audits are subjective. We’re keeping our fingers crossed,” Mr. Gutierrez said.
The FAA downgraded the Philippines to “category 2” in 2008 after a safety audit in November 2007, preventing Philippine carriers from expanding operations. Flag carrier Philippine Airlines is presently the only one flying to the US.
The Philippines has since passed Republic Act 9497 or the Civil Aviation Authority Act of 2008, which aims to upgrade local aviation standards.
Mr. Gutierrez said that following the FAA audit, the government plans to invite the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the European Union (EU) to do their own reviews. The ICAO designated the country as a “significant safety concern” in December 2009. The EU in 2010 blacklisted all Philippine carriers. On Monday, the EU announced that it was adding two local airlines to the list along with carriers from other countries. -- K. A. Martin

Saint Jack
28th Nov 2011, 01:23
caapslave: The reason why the FAA rescheduled (not 'cancelled') their preliminary review (not 'technical mission') to the Philippines is given in the statement; "They weren’t able to organize a complete team to send to the Philippines”. Why do you insist on seeing skulduggery, deception and corruption etc. with every announcement by the CAAP?

caapslave
5th Dec 2011, 12:27
@Saint Jack
does this not proof the truth?

CAAP wants aviation systems audit postponed - The Philippine Star » News » Headlines (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=755145&publicationSubCategoryId=63)

CAAP wants aviation systems audit postponed
By Rainier Allan Ronda (The Philippine Star) Updated December 05, 2011 12:00 AM Comments (0)

MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines will have to wait a little longer to take a shot at regaining Category I status with the US Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) after the postponement of the aviation systems audit supposed to be conducted today.

Sources told The STAR the postponement was done upon the request of the Tim Neel & Associates (TNA), a US aviation systems expert hired by the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC), after reportedly finding the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) not ready for the strict and highly technical US FAA audit.

“The CAAP is requesting for the audit to be moved to Jan. 27 instead of Dec. 5 but the US FAA has not yet replied if they are okay with the new schedule,” the source said.

The move of TNA in postponing the US FAA audit has reportedly incurred the ire of the CAAP top management, since the delay will put it in the hot seat with Malacañang and DOTC Secretary Manuel Roxas II with earlier guarantees that they will pass the audit and regain the US FAA Category I rating.

The postponement will be a big blow to beleaguered local carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL), which was the one most affected by the move of the US FAA to downgrade the Philippines from Category I to Category II status, with the effect of the downgrade barring carriers of Category II status countries from opening new routes to US airports.

PAL had ordered new wide-bodied aircraft for long haul flights several years ago and were about to accept delivery of the airplanes, expected to be used for new routes to the US from their current flights into San Francisco and Los Angeles.

threesix
16th Feb 2012, 05:15
it really sucks on how the caap medical certificate is being done. its just a money making venture!!! imagine the aviation medical examiner charging P500 pesos fee without necessary O.R.??? they just issue a fu@?#* 2inch X 3 inch paper stating that you paid. No wonder we are still in sorry state.

caapslave
20th Feb 2012, 23:35
http://philippineairspace.********.com/2012/02/caap-failed-to-prepare-country-for-faa.html

CAAP failed to prepare the country for the FAA review

Manila - The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has rated the Philippines anew as "FAILED" in its aviation compliance directive, and recommended that the country should remain further under heightened surveillance (CAT 2), according to initial reports submitted to Washington.

"It (the Philippines) failed to pass our technical review" says one of the members of the FAA team that went to the Philippines two weeks ago. He was speaking on conditions of anonymity as he was not authorized to speak on the matter.

Among the FAA Technical Team that went to the Philippines were Jacque Astre, FAA Team Leader; Beverly Sharkey, Team Attorney; Craig Michael, Operations Team Member; Andre Lamarre, Airworthiness Team Member and Julianna Kim, State Department International Transportation Officer, as observer.

"We told the Secretary of Transport the real score and he was disappointed with our report" says the source. The FAA Audit Report was already shipped to the Philippines last week.

Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) Secretary Mar Roxas was reported to have walked out during an exit conference last January 27, 2012 conducted by Operations Inspector Specialist Jacques Astre, head of the FAA technical team, when he was mislead by CAAP officials as to its readiness to take on the FAA audit.

Secretary Roxas hurriedly left the CAAP building in Pasay City around 11:30 in disgust followed by some CAAP officials pleading to him to come back to the meeting but his face showed how the progress review went. Sources from inside DOTC said that the Secretary was so disgusted with CAAP officials, saying the officials failed to prepare the country for the FAA review.

Press briefing later that day showed a sanitized report as it contained contradictory statement to the real score of Philippine Aviation announcing a complimentary remark from Jacques Astre.

In the announcement, CAAP declared that the Federal Aviation Administration’s Technical Review team tasked with assessing the country’s readiness for an International Aviation Safety Assessment (IASA) audit complimented the CAAP on its progress, saying the agency had accomplished “more in six months than in the previous five years.”

The FAA representative however stopped short of declaring the Philippines eligible for Category 1 status, pointing out that issues in Legislation, Licensing & Certification Obligations and Resolution on Safety Issues still has to be resolved.

FAA inspectors was very concerned on CAAP’s certification processes for aircraft and personnel, and should accordingly focus its efforts in resolving the problem, the report said.

FAA said that the next audit will be done by The International Aviation Safety Assessment Program (IASA) sometime in February but the specific date was not announced to CAAP. The FAA report said another technical review is necessary before another formal audit could be conducted.

The International Aviation Safety Assessment Program (IASA Program) is a program established by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration in 1992 designed to appreciate a country's ability to adhere to standards and recommended practices for aircraft operations and maintenance.

Upon hearing Astre's remarks, DOTC Secretary Mar Roxas became infuriated with the CAAP officials in attendance at the briefing, berating them for failing to adequately prepare for the FAA review before walking out of the meeting.

Sec. Roxas was interviewed later by the Inquirer who hinted that the Aquino Administration might consider giving up on the issue of upgrading our aviation status, explaining that “It’s our decision to invite them [the FAA] back,” based on the findings of the technical review team’s report.

The FAA told CAAP that it should focus more its attention to the five phases in certification process: application, submission of documents, review of submitted documents, demonstration of capability and issuance of certificate.

When pressed for comment, CAAP said that they were “minor issues” that can easily be resolved.

“The technical review is meant to prepare us for the IASA audit. Minor issues need to be rectified. We ask questions and they provide answers and recommendations. In the actual audit, there will be no questions. It’s either pass or fail,” said CAAP director general Ramon Gutierrez Saturday.

Flyhigh4him
4th Mar 2012, 05:15
At least one of the doctors work for PAL. I guess PAL can't pay him well and since he can't leave the country like the pilots, this must be easy job for him.

GQ2
7th Apr 2012, 17:55
I am a UK National and hold a UK PPL. Can this be used in the Phils? What steps would be necessary to fly an RP registered a/c solo?

Any suggestions or directions to further information gratfully recieved.

Salamat. :)