PDA

View Full Version : Job opportunities after CPL and 230 hrs?

ace boy
5th Sep 2008, 15:25
Im considering taking the plunge and studying for my ppl, cpl and multi engine IR in NZ for around £25'000 (based on minimum hours). This will give me around 230 hours. My question is what kind of employment opportunities can I expect after this? £25000 looks a lot more managable than £70000+ for ATPL. I realise this wouldn't qualify me to fly for the airlines but the jobs market is dead anyway right? My dream is to fly, i don't car what at the moment so would I have a good chance of at least securing a job where i can start paying back some of my debts and building up my hours, even if the pay isn't great? Hope that makes sense im new to this as you can probably tell

corsair
7th Sep 2008, 09:27
The answer of course is quite simple, add some money for a Flight Instructor rating and you will get a job at 230 hours. It will make a better pilot and as you say you just want to fly. You might be a good Instructor. Once you start that you can look around for other opportunist jobs.

Finals19
7th Sep 2008, 09:47
The answer of course is quite simple, add some money for a Flight Instructor rating and you will get a job at 230 hours. It will make a better pilot and as you say you just want to fly. You might be a good Instructor. Once you start that you can look around for other opportunist jobs.

Just as long as you aren't looking to work in any JAA countries. I note your location as Shropshire - and assume you are looking to work in NZ itself?

potkettleblack
7th Sep 2008, 19:25
If your going to NZ or Oz to get an ICAO set of licences and intend to come back to Europe to work then you need to research thoroughly the costs of conversions. Not to mention the cost of living downunder. Yes the currency works in your favour and on the face of it the flying seems cheaper but when you add in the conversions and being able to perhaps stay at home the waters get muddied.

GNR
8th Sep 2008, 07:52
i got my license in nz, and then moved to the top of aus, theres more and better jobs in aus and more money, flyin in nz is awesome, cool scenery and everything, but like 90% of jobs are instructing, and its cheaper and probably better to be a charter pilot. you can get a nz and convert it to aus easily, you just gotta pay like $300. look under TTMRA for this

Groundloop
8th Sep 2008, 08:44
But if he is from UK (going on his "Shropshire" location) he won't be able to work in Oz.

GNR
9th Sep 2008, 11:43
why not? ????

ace boy
9th Sep 2008, 16:13
Thanks for the response guys. Im in the early stages of planning at the moment as I still have my degree to finish. I do have family out in NZ who I could probably stay with so it is a strong choice. Im not sure about getting a job there though, I didn't think I would be allowed to stay in NZ after my Visa for the flight training expires??

jawad
13th Sep 2008, 18:33
hi guys i m doing my fi ratings. which is goin to be completed by next month...i hold pakistani cpl/ir can any one suggest me..where i can look for fi jobs with 0 flt instructional hr experience

Jawad

timzsta
13th Sep 2008, 19:10
I would suggest with 230 hours given events the week your chances of getting a job in the next 12 months are ":mad: all".

I'm Off!
13th Sep 2008, 19:32
A bit harsh, maybe slim to :mad: all.

Unfortunately it would appear that slim has left town

SinBin
15th Sep 2008, 22:45
You're looking at 36 months minimum, even if you go to the big expensive schools like Oxford. The market is flooded with experienced guys that have 1000s of hours on type. It's only going to get worse as more carriers fall this winter, which they will; XL is the tip of the iceberg. Not a good time for anyone even us experienced folk! Luckily I'm hanging on in there at the mo but who knows what's around the corner!

Wee Weasley Welshman
16th Sep 2008, 09:16
You won't have the right to work in several countries your NZ license is valid for.

Nobody wants to know a 230hr Wannabe.

Stay in Shropshire, get a boring but lucrative job in Telford (I recommend AGA sales manager) save money for the next 5 years and THEN do a modular CPL IR Frzn ATPL and start applying for jobs.

Seriously.