PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Drawback in Europe

SR71-Blackbird
5th Sep 2008, 14:31
Is anyone aware of other European member states operating a fuel drawback or a similar scheme to that of the UK?

It would certainly alleviate hemoragging on the wallet when operating a twin :)

Lister Noble
5th Sep 2008, 16:15
Try any US airbase,they would welcome a Blackbird.:}

Sorry:)

dublinpilot
5th Sep 2008, 16:18
Airports in Ireland will supply you with duty free Avgas if flying out of the country. You get supplied duty free, rather than claiming it back afterwards.

IO540
5th Sep 2008, 21:21
Italy is one I have heard of.

How the hell you would claim the drawback after you left the country, I have no idea.

Also, AOC holders can get duty free avgas in most of Europe. I know because I always try it :) You have to show the AOC to the man at the pump.

I believe they can get it in the UK too but it is done via a reclaim, not at the pump.

PompeyPaul
6th Sep 2008, 09:25
Has anybody successfuly claimed back duty on AVGAS bought @ L2K ? If so, what's the procedure ?

SR71-Blackbird
6th Sep 2008, 10:11
It's nice to see a healthy level of humour on this forum (tks L Noble & G-EMMA)

I've phoned some European Embassy's to try and clarify if they operate a drawback scheme, but they're not the easiest of places to get answers from - straight ones anyway.
However, the common theme I keep hearing is that for commercial flights not for private flights, the fuel is duty free, but the don't operate a separate db.

IO540 raises an interesting point rearding the AOC which appears to be correct but, as a private pilot how can I get hold of one w/o all the paperwork and rigamaroll? Please elucidate

In the meantime, I'm off to do more Srategic Reconnaissance in the remainder EU States :cool::cool:

dublinpilot
6th Sep 2008, 10:53
I've never heard of a drawback/duty free fuel for fuel purchased in France.

dirkdj
6th Sep 2008, 13:27
In Belgium you can have duty free fuel only if you have an AOC.

IO540
6th Sep 2008, 14:22
I have never had an AOC but knew somebody who got the most basic AOC possible (very possibly to enable the school to get duty free avgas ;) ) and it cost about £20k up front and about £5k a year afterwards.

Worth doing for a biggish flying school which perhaps has some old dog of a Seneca for "charter", but not for less than that.

PlasticPilot
7th Sep 2008, 12:44
What about the Channel Islands ?

beerdrinker
7th Sep 2008, 13:57
No duty therefore no draw back in C.I. At the moment no GST (local equivalent of VAT) but watch this space.