PDA

View Full Version : A6-EDA, Emirates A380 AOG due to Shower Burnout?

ling_woo
5th Sep 2008, 10:31
Apparently, kiddies-and-armchairCEOs.net reports that the Emirates A380 experience has been grounded.

What's more of a highlight is that supposedly it's because some avionics were blown out by the shower heating system.

Any comrades in the Sandpit able to confirm ?

apaddyinuk
5th Sep 2008, 15:49
That would be the funniest thing since Brabazon if it were true!

tuskegee airman
5th Sep 2008, 16:30
Why would any misfortune (no matter how small) be viewed as funny? :confused:

the_hawk
5th Sep 2008, 17:38
so many misfortunes in the world are seen as funny by others, be it mischievousness or whatever, quite normal, not worth the five question marks

White Knight
5th Sep 2008, 18:06
It's a new aeroplane boys and girls... Of course it'll have teething problems:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Have you designed something with over a million different parts recently??

No? Thought not....

Oh yeah, where's that 'plastic fantastic' out of Seattle gone too????? (5 ? marks)

ling_woo
5th Sep 2008, 18:21
Disparaging those that report the news and those that discuss the news doesn't overcome the facts, whether those facts are 'news' (worthy of Pprune) or not.

Enderby-Browne
6th Sep 2008, 04:10
The A380 is not a "new" aircraft... It's a hugely late and over-budget white elephant that is just "unift for purpose". That's what happens when you let ego get in the way of common sense.

Three-and-a-half years since first flight, two airline operators and one ridiculous farce of a project.

Faulty showers/Fawlty Towers...

Fart Master
6th Sep 2008, 11:06
That'll include Boeing then E-B........

It was the same when the ATP, A320 came out etc., whenever there has been a leap forward in technology in aircraft systems etc there have been the enevitable delays and problems.

And by the way from what an EK engineer told me it wasn't the shower unit, personally I think Airbus have done a hell of a job on the 380, now where's the 787............

mawahh
6th Sep 2008, 15:18
Isn't it ironic that the airplane, which works OK so far with SQ, is now possibly grounded due to the very feature that EK is so proud of: The showers!

whatdoesthisbuttondo
6th Sep 2008, 16:41
Why on earth does any slightly critical thread about an A380 bring out all these silly anti boeing comments?

Poster A. "Something's wrong with the A380"

Poster B. "Yeah well Boeings are crap"

glhcarl
7th Sep 2008, 02:04
It was the same when the ATP, A320 came out etc., whenever there has been a leap forward in technology in aircraft systems etc there have been the enevitable delays and problems.

Other than the hydraulic system, what leap forward in technology is there in an A380?

411A
7th Sep 2008, 03:00
Although it's a lot larger, I suspect that the A380 has no more systems redundancy than...the Lockheed TriStar.:E

Old Grey
7th Sep 2008, 08:32
Wow! Battle of the Fanboys!

For a moment there, I thought I'd strayed into Airliners.net.... :}

chornedsnorkack
7th Sep 2008, 08:49
Although it's a lot larger, I suspect that the A380 has no more systems redundancy than...the Lockheed TriStar.

What has more systems redundancy - Tristar or VC10?

Fart Master
7th Sep 2008, 17:46
glhcarl.......why don't you tell us smartar*e.......I just train people to fly it:ok:

Groundloop
8th Sep 2008, 09:50
Let's get some facts right.

The reason it was grounded is that a catering truck damaged the fuselage skin - nothing more sinister that that.

Rainboe
8th Sep 2008, 09:55
There is no doubt you Spotters can get totally out of control if left unmonitored. Is this thread really about a bloody immersion heater going out on an A380 or a bit of minor ramp rash? And it becomes a Boeing v Airbus 'which is better' argument? Some growing up is needed here. This sort of rubbish discussion is better off at that stupid other website full of teenies getting off on talking about aeroplanes! Grow up chaps!

scudpilot
8th Sep 2008, 12:13
Just goes to show how rubbish the A380 is, it was left unserviceable after being hit by a catering truck... would never have happened to a Boing.....:)

Ms Spurtle
8th Sep 2008, 14:30
Can we all just take a minute to think about the poor caterer who drove his truck into Emirate's new pride & joy. :eek:

If that was me I think.. "I'll get me coat!" would be in order

Tias
8th Sep 2008, 17:53
Does anyone can write about something related to the first post ?
:ugh:
Emirates still replace the a6-eda on the DXB / JFK flights by a 777 ER...

Old Aero Guy
8th Sep 2008, 20:22
Quote:

Let's get some facts right.

The reason it was grounded is that a catering truck damaged the fuselage skin - nothing more sinister that that. (Reply 17)

The comments in this forum seem completely different than the ones being shown at the link below.

http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/341953-a380-incident-2.html

Quote:

The problem is quite serious for what I hear, word on the street has it that it landed off a training flight when the two engines with trust rev would not cancel so the shut them down, started the APU on taxi in then at the gate shut the other two engine down, instead of the APU picking up the elect load it all went rather dark and quiet.

Engineers then found one of the boxes in the E&E bay happily burning away.

Unable to fly it stays here for repair. (Reply 32)

Which line of discussion is correct?

Rainboe
8th Sep 2008, 22:59
So let's try get this right! It is an electronic electrics gizmo problem, not:
Shower water heater system burn out
Catering truck collision

What is up with these people? Are they smoking something? People sit at their keyboards and pure diarrhoea pours out, then some idiot raises a Boeing/Airbus discussion? Mad.

glhcarl
9th Sep 2008, 02:32
glhcarl.......why don't you tell us smartar*e.......I just train people to fly it

So I will take your answer as: I don't know.

Groundloop
9th Sep 2008, 08:29
It was a fairly senior Emirates employee who told me about the catering truck incident. I had no reason to disbelieve him.

mawahh
9th Sep 2008, 09:15
I heard that the problems startet after maintenance training. Maybe they gave the maintenance contract to the same guys who did the Etihad A340-600 engine test run last year in Toulouse?

clicker
9th Sep 2008, 23:42
would never have happened to a Boing.....

Oh yes it would and has, worked for an airline with B747-200's when they were the latest version and has one grounded for the self same reason.

Also seen a few other makes grounded for mishaps with vehicles.

It's not normally the aircraft type that dictates the grounding but the speed which the vehicle hit it at and any skin would buckle when hit at even 30 mph or less in the right place.