PDA

View Full Version : Will hours be recognised?

airman_08
5th Sep 2008, 09:47
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is on the wrong forum, My problem is as followes...nearly 10 hours done in New Zealand towards a New Zealand PPL, ready for solo in another 7-8 hours, Problem is i need to return home within a few weeks and wont get the chance to finish the licence here before that happens.I have been on to the UK CAA to see if they will recognise my hours that i have attained in NZ, they say i need to forward my log book and training records to them and they will then decide on how many hours and appropiate training that i need to undertake once i get back home.
Anyone have experience on this dealing with the CAA???
Just wondering if its going to be much point in continuing here to at least the solo stage if its not going to be recognised.:rolleyes:

As always, thanks in advance.

Whirlygig
5th Sep 2008, 12:08
Yes, the hours will be recognised. However, when you transfer to a training school in (I presume) Ireland for a JAA PPL, they may consider that you need to fly further hours to be at the same stage (i.e. solo). The NZ PPL is not the same as a JAA PPL (although the helicopter doesn't know that!) and the training syllabus is different.

You will have to weigh up the cheaper hours in NZ against any re-training which may be required in Ireland.

Cheers

Whirls

whack_job
5th Sep 2008, 13:54
sounds like to me that you have completely f@$ked up mate. What a waste of time and money!

I would have jumped up and down and screamed bloody murder to the flight school to at least get me past solo before I had to go home.

helimutt
5th Sep 2008, 15:07
vital actions, are you sure about that? I thought you could do so many on another type, ie R22 for at least the requirements, then rest on say an R44. far as I was aware but maybe things have changed. Everyone you ask has a different answer.

Lasors states:-
An applicant for a JAR-FCL PPL(H) shall have completed
on one type of helicopter, having a certificate of airworthiness
issued or accepted by a JAA Member State, the
particular requirements specified in (a) and (b) below.
Training for an additional helicopter type rating may be
included within the PPL (H) training providing that the
particular specified requirements in (a) and (b) and the
PPL (H) Skill Test have completed on one helicopter type.
Applicants must also complete a LST on the additional
helicopter type to also be endorsed and theoretical
knowledge examination.
An applicant for the PPL(H) shall complete at a FTO or
an accepted registered facility the required instruction in
accordance with the syllabus as set out in Appendix 1 to
JAR-FCL 2.125. This must include:-
a. 25 hours* Dual Instruction on Helicopters, must
include (i);
i. 5 hours Instrument dual instruction time
b. 10 hours Supervised solo flight time on Helicopters,
must include (i);
i. 5 hours Solo cross-country flight time, must
include (ii);
ii. One cross-country flight** of at least 185km
(100nm), during which full stop landings at
two aerodromes different from the aerodrome
of departure shall be made as per JAR-FCL
2.125 (b)

:E

Pandalet
5th Sep 2008, 15:50
If I'm reading the snippit helimutt posted, am I correct in reading that one could essentially do two type ratings as part of ones PPL? The minimum requirements (which need to be on one type) add up to 35 hours, so you could do a further 10 hours dual on two other types, thus fulfilling the TR requirements as well (I'm assuming the school is certified for both PPL and TRTO purposes). The extract does state that you still need to do an LPC and theory test for other types to get them on your license.

If this is correct, it would mean that folks planning to add another type anyway could save considerably on training costs.

VeeAny
5th Sep 2008, 19:08
Yes you can do more than one type rating during your JAA PPL(H).

I looked into for another instructor a couple of years ago and as long as you have done the minimum amount of training on one type and do the test in that type then you can complete training for further type ratings prior to completing the course. It wasn't overly clear but when questioned the CAA did want the subsequent type ratings done at a TRTO and the type rating writtens to be completed.

GS

Bladecrack
5th Sep 2008, 20:21
Errr, actually I am not 100% sure. I seem to remember reading that the entire 45 hour PPL course had to be on one type of heli. ie you cant do 10 hours on an r22, then 35 on an R44.

Yes you can, 25 hrs of the 45 has to be on one type, and that type used for the skills test.

Bravo73
5th Sep 2008, 21:45
FWIW, Bladecrack, it's a minimum of 35hrs on one type - 25hrs dual and 10hrs solo.

C2.2
An applicant for a JAR-FCL PPL(H) shall have completed
on one type of helicopter, having a certificate of airworthiness
issued or accepted by a JAA Member State, the
particular requirements specified in (a) and (b) below.
Training for an additional helicopter type rating may be
included within the PPL (H) training providing that the
particular specified requirements in (a) and (b) and the
PPL (H) Skill Test have completed on one helicopter type.
Applicants must also complete a LST on the additional
helicopter type to also be endorsed and theoretical
knowledge examination.

(a) 25 hours* Dual Instruction on Helicopters, must
include (i);
i. 5 hours Instrument dual instruction time

(b) 10 hours Supervised solo flight time on Helicopters,
must include (i);
i. 5 hours Solo cross-country flight time, must
include (ii);
ii. One cross-country flight** of at least 185km
(100nm)

TiPwEiGhT
6th Sep 2008, 01:45
Personally from experience, I wouldn't be surprised if you do a min if 45 hours in th UK or Ireland.

My two cents.

Bladecrack
6th Sep 2008, 19:45
Bravo73,

Ah yes, 25 dual, I stand corrected!

BC