PDA

View Full Version : GCSE Physics or A-Level Maths....

Lew747
4th Sep 2008, 19:48
Hey everyone,

I've reached the end of my school career and am now working and saving up for flying lessons that are becoming even more expensive...etc etc.

I am thinking of doing a distance learning course (I do not want the commitment of college or going back to my :mad: school!). I unfortunately failed my A-Level math’s course to much of my disappointment and was thinking of re-taking the whole lot again or starting from scratch and doing a GCSE in physics.

The reason for this was because during my GCSE days I was never given the opportunity to study double science and was automatically put on a GNVQ course (Which I knew even then stood for 'Going Nowhere Very Quickly'), Nevertheless I passed with a lowly CCCC equivalent but seen as the course was predominantly biology and chemistry based I never got taught any real physics which was a shame seen as I have such a passion for the subject.

My question to some of you out there is; do you think I should re-take my math’s A-Level again, taking into account I will be armed with greater mathematical knowledge and a more sought-after qualification than at GCSE level or do a GCSE in physics allowing me to learn a subject that has really been 'barred' from me studying before?
Even though I failed my maths this time around, i've learnt a great deal (such as differentiation and integration, which probs wont come in handy anyway!) so it's knowledge I wont really forget but may be useful but which is why at the moment my heart is set on Physics as I hear many of you know the ATPL theoretical side of things is only around GCSE level anyway but would be nice to hear your thoughts,

Lewis :)

Whirlygig
4th Sep 2008, 20:04
I would resit the A Level maths if I were you! It's an A level so a higher level of education and will provide more of a backbone to pilot studies. After all, physics is just extreme applied maths!!

If you have a solid foundation in maths, physics is straightforward and you could pick it up quite easily in your own time without the pressure of a) having to make a choice and b) having to pass an exam.

Cheers

Whirls

Dane-Ger
4th Sep 2008, 20:44
As a Maths teacher, I'm going to have to be biased and say do a resit. Your A-level maths is a fantastic grounding to have and as Whirly above says, If you nail that, the physics involved at ATPL level is pretty straightforward.

But why does it have to be one or the other, can you not read the physics syllabus whilst studying for your maths?

good luck
D-G

Felix Saddler
4th Sep 2008, 20:46
If your competent at working alone and can motivate yourself to keep it up, you can just get a copy of the syllabus, study it at your own pace, whilst working, and put yourself in for the necessary examinations as an external candidate. This is what i did and managed to get an A within nine months. If you can do this you definitely have what it takes to complete the atpls.

Good luck,

Fs.

ChrisLKKB
4th Sep 2008, 23:21
I can't think of a better combination than maths and physics if you want to get into aviation. It'll look great on your CV and will give you a good foundation when it comes to taking your ATPL exams.

If you can handle it you'll do well to get them both under your belt, hopefully you should find it easier this time round concentrating on just the 2 subjects, especially as you have a specific goal in mind. Stick with it, you'll be really glad you did, best of luck :cool:

GS-Alpha
5th Sep 2008, 11:01
If you are wondering what will best help you with your flying course, I'd have to say the Physics GCSE myself. (Mind you, I say this as a Physics graduate, so perhaps I am as biased as the mathematicians above ;o) A-level maths as you say, is generally just the application of calculus to problem solving - which is not required for your flying studies. GCSE Physics however, is equations, basic proofs and graph reading, with a bit of instrumentation and electronics thrown in. This is basically what your flying studies will consist of. Whenever I am asked to describe the content, level of difficulty and volume of info to learn at ground school, I always think of GCSE Physics.

However, A-level maths would look good to a future employer, so I recommend doing both if you can.

Whirlygig
5th Sep 2008, 11:52
Well I am also a physics graduate but recommended the maths option earlier so no bias at all!

Speed, time, distance, acceleration calculations are just a practical application of differential calculus, graph reading, equations and formulae are all maths!!

I would think though, if you've got a year, you should be able to cover GCSE physics and A level maths resit in that time!

Cheers

Whirls

PAPI-74
5th Sep 2008, 12:11
It may look good to have A - Levels, but you will NEVER use either - unless you are getting into design.

A basic understanding of formula / concepts and the ability to apply it is all that you will ever need.

To save time, I would resit the Maths and get stuck into the Ground School.

Mr Grimsdale
5th Sep 2008, 13:51
Definitely retake the maths, assuming it's both pure and applied. It will give you all the grounding you need and you can apply what you've learnt to the physics you need to understand for flying.

Don't they teach the basics of differentiation and integration in GCSE maths any longer?

ChrisLKKB
5th Sep 2008, 15:09
btw make sure you have an interest outside of maths, physics and aviation, the airline bosses will want you to have a broader depth of charachter to give you something to talk about on the flight deck once George has taken over, they tend to frown on reading news papers when you're supposed to be working .:ok:

markp123
5th Sep 2008, 15:21
I enjoyed my GCSE physics, and didn't mind my A-level maths either. You probably aren't even considering this, but don't go for A-level Physics!! I found alot of it sooooooooo painful! Like learning about resistors and capacitors :sad:

But yea, the maths will be good to have, and you will learn good chunks of physics even just studying some of the theory exams for the PPL course!

Lew747
6th Sep 2008, 18:10
Seems a lot of conflicting ideas...but on the whole most of you would recommend re-doing A-Level Maths.

Thanks for your help! Providing I get a bit more money i'll think about doing both together, but if not, i'll probs stick to the maths and come back to the physics later.

For those who have done 'distance learning' courses, how did you find them? In terms of help available as there is no teacher to guide you. Im going to assume a lot of commitment and dedication is needed on my behalf in order to succeed in getting a good grade!

ChrisLKKB
6th Sep 2008, 20:43
The ground school course I took involved distance learning followed by a couple of weeks consolidation in the class room before sitting the exams. Personally I just studied the books before the classroom section and didn't get involved with any of the course work. Now the question banks are available on line and with some groundschools running online help forums imo there is even less need for course work. This method worked for me, I got some good pass marks and I didn't even take any A levels, just a City and Guilds in hydraulics and pneumatics. :ok:

redflyer
6th Sep 2008, 20:58
I failed my A level physics and left school with only GCSE's and that was only 10 years ago. I'm now a captain working for "Europes largest regional airline".

I used to be a checkin agent and work my arse off for a number of years.

The airline industry is never going to be straight forward.:\