PDA

View Full Version : C-130J

TheMessenger
3rd Sep 2008, 21:43
Is the USA military still using the C-130J?

If not, why? I have heard that it is not battle worthy.

BigDH
3rd Sep 2008, 21:51
Yes. Google it.....

grey_not_green
3rd Sep 2008, 22:20
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Two's in
4th Sep 2008, 00:04
DoD Report from a couple of years ago, the full report is linked out of the summary below, look at the letter at the back where the USAF basically tell the report committee they are talking rubbish.

Contracting for and Performance of the C-130J Aircraft - Report No. D-2004-102(PDF) - Project No. D2003AB-0084.000

Contracting for and Performance of the C-130J Aircraft (http://www.dodig.osd.mil/Audit/reports/fy04/04102sum.htm)

We substantiated the allegation that the C-130J aircraft does not meet contract specifications and therefore cannot perform its operational mission. The Air Force conditionally accepted 50 C-130J aircraft at a cost of $2.6 billion even though none of the aircraft met commercial contract specifications or operational requirements. The Air Force also paid Lockheed Martin more than 99 percent of the C-130J aircraft's contracted price for the delivered aircraft. As a result, the Government fielded C-130J aircraft that cannot perform their intended mission, which forces the users to incur additional operations and maintenance costs to operate and maintain older C-130 mission-capable aircraft because the C-130J aircraft can be used only for training. The Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition should stop the System Program Office from contracting for additional block upgrades until a contract-compliant aircraft is designed, developed, and delivered; use Federal Acquisition Regulation Part 15 for future modifications that add to the scope of the statement of work to the C-130J multiyear contract (F33657-03-C-2014); increase contract withhold amounts for acceptance of noncompliant aircraft; and develop a schedule for completing outstanding retrofits to accepted and fielded aircraft. (See the Finding section of the report for the detailed recommendations.)

GreenKnight121
4th Sep 2008, 18:50
Nice 4 year-old report. Any word on how reality is this year?

Double Zero
5th Sep 2008, 02:26
'The messenger '

Tell you what, if they're not in use right now, I'll give you £10.00 each for as many as you can find, and I'll take my chances on hiring them out.

DZ