PDA

View Full Version : FCA4708 Gatwick - Zakynthos

rich_g85
3rd Sep 2008, 14:35
Hi all,
I'm flying First Choice from Gatwick to Zakynthos on 14th September at 06:05

Can anyone tell me the aircraft type and route for this flight?

BYALPHAINDIA
3rd Sep 2008, 15:50
Hi should be 757.

Have a Good holiday.;)

rich_g85
3rd Sep 2008, 18:04
Thanks, looking forward to it!

If anyone could hazard a guess at the route (inc. SID from Gatwick), that would be great. I fancy a bash on Flight Sim.... :)

Rainboe
3rd Sep 2008, 19:09
26L- BOG1M, 08R- SFD8P. Route down takes you overhead Venice down east coast of Italy overhead Taranto, scene of the famous night Swordfish attack on the Italian fleet, passing about 30 miles to the west of Corfu, then over the western part of Cephalonia and overhead the airport which is an amazingly mountainous Island, and I haven't seen Capt Corelli's bloody mandolin yet (this being below 10,000' descending), approaching Zakynthos airport from the north west for a southerly landing. I was told the curfew at Zakynthos airport was needed because at a certain time tortoises flood out onto the runway, but I'm not sure if my leg was being pulled. I would sit on the left out and left back.

I like following history as I fly in in this most scenic and historic part of the world, like when the Albanians mined a British warship in the channel next to Corfu after the war and killed several dozen tars- now we give them council houses and benefits! And the site of the Battle of Thermopylae where the 300 Spartans held off the Persian army. It doesn't look at all as dramatic as the movie. The island of Santorini that destroyed the Minoan civilisation- so much here. It's sad though that most I fly with have never heard of these things!

G-BPED
3rd Sep 2008, 21:15
I was told the curfew at Zakynthos airport was needed because at a certain time tortoises flood out onto the runway, but I'm not sure if my leg was being pulled.

Dear Rainboe,

Sir, you were definitely NOT having your leg pulled.

Just before the tarmac of RWY 34 starts there is sand that stretches down to Laganas Bay where, in the sand the Logger Head Turtle lays its eggs.

A curfew was imposed at night as it is said that the aircraft noise causes the female turtle to return to the sea instead of laying her eggs in the sand.

This night curfew is only imposed during the egg laying and hatching season which occurs during the summer season when the airport is at its busiest.

Kind regards,

G-BPED

vespasia
4th Sep 2008, 13:20
26L- BOG1M, 08R- SFD8P

Or could be DVR8M 26L/ DVR2P 08R routeing Dover-Brussels-Venice and as described by rainboe. Both these routes are used regularly by EGKK-LGZA flights, depending on which one avoids the most slot restrictions on the day!

:ok:

rich_g85
4th Sep 2008, 13:22
Thanks Rainboe and vespasia - very helpful! :cool:

Andy Rylance
4th Sep 2008, 16:31
Yes last time I flew out to Zante we got an earlier slot but had to bin it because we would have got there too early for the turtles. Plane was not that full and we were ready to go but had to announce due to turtle activity (i.e.humping) everyone would sit tight for a while.

There is a barman out there who makes much mileage of showing you a postcard of two turtles at it and all he can say in english is "you tomorrow hey hey yes yes carretta carretta (being the greek word for turtle)....."

Andy Rylance
4th Sep 2008, 16:38
Oh and nice one Rainboe... time that lots of pilots gave a little history lesson to the younger darlings as they fly over places. Zakynthos was occupied by Italian and German forces during the Second World War, but many of the islanders tried to resist. The islanders are also noted for shielding the Jewish community on the island, with all 275 Zakynthian Jews surviving the war. The reason for this was the courageous and intelligent actions of the Bishop Chrysostomos and the Mayor Loukas Carrer whom when ordered at gun point to hand over a list of the names of Jews residing on the island -only wrote their own names. In the meantime the Jews had been hidden on the island, in the mountain villages and to the Zakynthian's credit their whereabouts were never revelled.

gatbusdriver
4th Sep 2008, 17:15
Don't forget to take up the hold, you could be the only aircraft within a 100nm radius of either EFL or ZTH and those lovely Andravida Mil controllers will make you go around the hold at least once, to then complete the procedural arrival.:mad:

Rainboe
4th Sep 2008, 18:10
So where was the Nicholas Cage massacre on the island then? It's not that large but incredibly mountainous. I am in the habit of delivering lectures: ' that's where Dad's battleship Barham took a torp in the war and blew up!'- 'if you look carefully in the water, you can see the vast bulk of the Royal Oak down there with 800 sailors still on it- and see that plume of oil- still coming out of the tanks after 65 years!' 'Look! Preveza! That's Actium where Octavian's army defeated Anthony and Cleopatra' etc. It's all wasted.....history means nowt these days!

rich_g85
4th Sep 2008, 18:44
Nice thread drift... keep it up! :ok:

By the way, does Zakynthos have ILS?

yeoman
4th Sep 2008, 20:58
No, arc procedure to VOR approach both ends. Very drawn out due the current Andravida Approach issues. Almost certain to do the whole procedure even if CAVOK.

:ugh: