PDA

View Full Version : TCAS Zaon xrx

Shrekk
3rd Sep 2008, 13:56
Have recently installed a Zaon XRX in an R44
Not worked out the best place for it has any one got experience with this in a heli - at the moment its on the dash next to the flymap - info appreciated

206 jock
3rd Sep 2008, 16:52
Mine fits on the top of coaming, right in the far corner.

They work best (ie detect better and detect themselves less) if they have a clear view of the sky, so as far as you can get from any metalwork.

It's a shame you don't have a Garmin 496: the Zaon integrates with the GPS to give you a 'virtual' radar. Very good tool.

md 600 driver
3rd Sep 2008, 16:54
i belive it also does with the flymap

Shrekk
4th Sep 2008, 09:05
Any chance you could send me a picture so I can see how its mounted
It also needs to be level ?
It should also connect to flymap its just that mine dosnt at the moment
Bought the lad from flymap and have used all there settings but it still dosnt work

Shrekk
27th Feb 2009, 12:04
Have not been able to get the Zaon Tecas communicationg with the Zaon almmost 3-4 months after buying the Zaon
Flymap in Germany dont seem to want to communicate about anything at the moment least about how to solve this problem or what is happening with the CAA charts ? another thread at some point ?

Anyway turns out the reason the Zaon was not communicating was the bolts on rs 232 plug supplied by flymap was not pulling the plug in enough. Eureka now its working

All I need to do now is position the Zaon in a place in the R44 that allows it to work accuratly

nellycopter
27th Feb 2009, 18:34
i have the Flymap L, Garmin 695 and the Zaon XRX all mounted on the flymap R44 screen mount. it grabs the lip inside the center of the windshield.
i then mounted two ram mounts to the flymap bracket - one on each side.
traffic showing on GArmin 695 and on the flymap both at the same time !
be carefull with it on the flymap - you must get the latest bug fix from them ! i think i was the guinipig for them - the trafic was showing behind when it was in front etc. but they did manage to sort it for me.
forget the expensive interconnecting wires - make them yourself -theres only two wires in the plugs that make it work !! (data)
get the bits from RS components for next to nowt !!!!

i would post a picture but dont know how to -
if you can explain how to - i will !
:O

malabo
27th Feb 2009, 20:31
Seamoss in Australia had it done this way. Pictures from the 695 thread. He must have had a little collective friction on.

http://www.nhew.com.au/images/Garmin695_lo.jpg

md 600 driver
28th Feb 2009, 06:56
ive got a av80r /zaon on order any one got one fixed up yet

nellycopter
28th Feb 2009, 07:19
md 600,

i have tried the av80r in an r44, found it too small to see when mounted on the dash. the slightest vibration makes it even worse -
so i upgraded to the garmin 695 - and the av80r is looking for a new home.
i cant see how you would connect the xrx to the av80r !
there is no mention of it in the manual - nor is there any data socket etc on the unit.
it does have bluetooth - but the xrx doesnt.