PDA

View Full Version : Airplane Systems questions.

Mohit_C
3rd Sep 2008, 12:47
Hi,

I have a few questions which I came across in the Volare Question Bank and I have a few doubts. Here are the questions:

Q102)
When leaning the mixture for the most economic cruise
fuel flow, excessive leaning will cause :
A) high engine rpm
B)low cylinder head and exhaust gas temperature (what I think)
C) high manifold pressure
D) high cylinder head and exhaust gas temperature (according to the mark scheme)

[If you lean for an economic cruise is when you have the ideal fuel/air ratio of 1/15 and with this you have the highest CHT and EGT. However if you lean excessively, it will reduce EGT and CHT again.]

Q525)
The speed of an asynchronous four-pole motor fed at a
frequency of 400 Hertz is:
A) 800 revolutions per minute.
B) 1600 revolutions per minute.
C) 12000 revolutions per minute. (according to the mark scheme)
D) 6000 revolutions per minute. (what I think)
[According to the formula: frequency (hz) = (Nš of poles * RPM) / 60 , gives 6000 RPM]

Q571)
If an engine fails to stop with the magneto switch in OFF
position, the cause may be :
A) defective condenser
B) fouled spark plugs
C) excessive carbon formation in cylinder head. (according to the mark scheme)
D) switch wire grounded (what I think)

Q583)
The conditions under which you obtain the highest
engine power are :
A) cold and humid air at high pressure. (what I think)
B) warm and dry air at high pressure.
C) cold and dry air at high pressure. (according to the mark scheme)
D) warm and humid air at low pressure.

[This question is ambiguous in the way that if it's referring to piston powered engines, the answer would be C) however for jet engines it would be A)]

Q393)
On a a normally aspirated engine (non turbo-charged),
the manifold pressure gauge always indicates...
A) a value equal to the QFE when the engine is at full power on
the ground. (what I think)
B) a lower value than atmospheric pressure when the engine is
running. (according to the mark scheme)
C) a greater value than atmospheric pressure when the engine
is running.
D) zero on the ground when the engine is stopped.

[If the engine is on full power (i.e. the butterfly valve is fully open) the admision pressure would be equal to the atmospheric pressure on a non turbo-charged engine]

Q389)
During climb with constant Manifold Air Pressure (MAP)
and RPM indication and constant mixture setting, the
power output of a piston engine :
A) stays constant.
B) increases. (according to the mark scheme)
C) decreases. (what I think)
D) only stays constant if the speed control lever is pushed
forward.

Q320)
The advantages of a chemical oxygen source for the
passenger cabin are :
1. reduced weight and volume,
2. easy storage and maintenance,
3. greater autonomy,
4. no risk of explosion,
5. reversible functioning,
6. no maintenance.
The combination regrouping all the correct statements
is:
A) 1, 2, 4, 6 (according to the mark scheme)
B) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
C) 2, 3, 5
D) 1, 3, 4, 5

[I personally don't know the answer to this but A) doesn't seem to be correct as point 2 and 6 contradict each other; one says easy storage and maintenance and the other says no maintenance]

Thanks.

pilotmike
3rd Sep 2008, 14:28
I'll try, briefly...

Q102 - fuel cools the engine, both head temp and exhaust gas temp, so leaning will generally give a hotter engine. A very rich mixture gives a very cool engine.

Q525 - the 4 poles are effectively 2 Norths and 2 Souths, so it will do one rotation per 2 cycles of drive voltage.

Q571 - running on is usually caused by hotspots (carbon) on the cylinder head crown. If the magneto wire was shorted t ground it would never even start. An electrical cause could have been an OPEN switch wire, but conveniently this wasn't offered as an option.

Q583 - humidity will always decrease engine power, as far as I remember, but I stand to be corrected.

Q393 - no matter how wide the butterfly throttle is opened, there will always be some restriction, hence the manifold pressure will always be lower than atmospheric, even if only slightly. You must be careful to go for the fully correct answer rather than the one which appeals under ideal (impossible) conditions.

Q389 - I'd have to think harder about this one, but it will be something along the lines of: to maintain constant MP, the throttle is obviously being opened as atmospheric pressure reduces, but a greater volume of air flows to achieve this, possibly with extra fuelling, hence more power...

Hope this helps

PM

Nearly There
3rd Sep 2008, 14:52
as he says^^
Humid air is less dense per unit measure hence less power, take a cubic metre of dry air add water vapour(humidty to this) there becomes less air in that given quantity. :ok:

Mohit_C
3rd Sep 2008, 20:31
I have just added one more question to my doubts.

Thanks for the replies!:ok:

ChrisLKKB
3rd Sep 2008, 22:16
Regarding no maintenance, they only need checking every 5 years so that's minimal maintenance and technically no annual maintenance.

Mohit_C
6th Sep 2008, 20:58
Ok, I understand that. Regarding Q389) I came across a similar question in the bank:
Q45)
The power output of a normally aspirated piston engine
increases with increasing altitude at constant Manifold
Air Pressure (MAP) and RPM because of the :
A) lower losses during the gas change.
B) lower friction losses.
C) leaner mixture at higher altitudes.
D) lower back pressure. (mark scheme answer)

Lastly, I have one more question:

Q14)
Internal leakage in a hydraulic system will cause :
A) an increased fluid pressure.
B) an increased fluid temperature. (mark scheme answer)
C) fluid loss.
D) a decreased fluid temperature.

Could someone please explain the mark scheme answers.

Thanks.

nh2301
6th Sep 2008, 21:17
Q102

When setting cruise mixture by EGT, depending on the engine it can be run rich of peak EGT, in which case further leaning results in higher temperatures. Some engines can also be run lean of peak EGT, which is much more economical, in which case further leaning results in lower temperatures.

The question is outdated. Modern engines run lean of peak for best economy, and burning excess fuel is an old-fashioned and expensive way to cool an engine.

Edgington
6th Sep 2008, 22:57
Q14

Internal leakage will cause the system pressure to drop, there is no fluid loss as it stays in the system. But the pump will have to do more work to maintain system pressure leading to increased friction which will raise the temp of the fluid

Keith.Williams.
7th Sep 2008, 09:26
Q102)
When leaning the mixture for the most economic cruise
fuel flow, excessive leaning will cause :
A) high engine rpm
B)low cylinder head and exhaust gas temperature (what I think)
C) high manifold pressure
D) high cylinder head and exhaust gas temperature (according to the mark scheme)

The maximum CHT occurs at 1/15 fuel/air ratio. For most engines the economy setting is just rich of this ratio. So if you lean the mixture excessively you will be closer to the 1/15 ratio. This will give a higher temperature. giving a higher temperature. So the answer is D.

Q525)
The speed of an asynchronous four-pole motor fed at a
frequency of 400 Hertz is:
A) 800 revolutions per minute.
B) 1600 revolutions per minute.
C) 12000 revolutions per minute. (according to the mark scheme)
D) 6000 revolutions per minute. (what I think)

The formula you were thinking of is Frequency = (RPM x Pole Pairs) / 60 or if you prefer Frequency = (RPM x Poles ) / 120. This gives 120oo RPM. The question is however a little bit defective in that is specifies an "asynchronous motor". These are induction motors which exhibit a slip speed, which (depending on load applied) is typically about 10% of synchronous RPM. So we should really be looking for 12000 - 10%, but this isn't an option. So the bast option is C.

Q571)
If an engine fails to stop with the magneto switch in OFF
position, the cause may be :
A) defective condenser
B) fouled spark plugs
C) excessive carbon formation in cylinder head. (according to the mark scheme)
D) switch wire grounded (what I think)

Piston engines will stop when the ignition is switched off unless some other ignition source is available. One such source is hot carbon deposites within the cylinder. Magnetos are switched off by using the ignition switch to ground (or earth) the primary coil. So if the ignition switch is grounded the magneto will be permanently switched off. So option D is incorrect and option C is the best one in this question. But a better option would be "igintion switch disconnecetd" if it were available, bcause this would make it impossible to switch off the magneto.

Q583)
The conditions under which you obtain the highest
engine power are :
A) cold and humid air at high pressure. (what I think)
B) warm and dry air at high pressure.
C) cold and dry air at high pressure. (according to the mark scheme)
D) warm and humid air at low pressure.

The power output of any engine is proportional to the mass flow of air passing through it. Air mass flow rate is proportional to air density. At any given RPM the mass flow and power output will be greatest when operating in high pressure cold air because this gives maximum air density and hence maximum mass flow rate.

Q393)
On a a normally aspirated engine (non turbo-charged),
the manifold pressure gauge always indicates...
A) a value equal to the QFE when the engine is at full power on
the ground. (what I think)
B) a lower value than atmospheric pressure when the engine is
running. (according to the mark scheme)
C) a greater value than atmospheric pressure when the engine
is running.
D) zero on the ground when the engine is stopped.

Normally aspirated engines must suck the air in through the throttle valve and choke tube into the inlet manifold. MAP is the air pressure within the inlet manifold. The restriction caused by the throttle valve and choke tube causes the pressure to drop. So whenever a normally aspirated engien is running the mAP will be les than the ambient pressure.

Q389)
During climb with constant Manifold Air Pressure (MAP)
and RPM indication and constant mixture setting, the
power output of a piston engine :
A) stays constant.
B) increases. (according to the mark scheme)
C) decreases. (what I think)
D) only stays constant if the speed control lever is pushed
forward.

In order to maintain constant MAP in a climb, you must start with the throttle valve only partly open and gradually open it to compensate for the reducing ambient pressure as you climb. If you do this such that MAP is constant, you will have a constant pressure pushing air from the manifold into the cylinders.

But as altitude increases, the decreasing ambient pressure will make it easier for the exhaust gas to escape through the exhaust pipe. (Reducing exhaust back pressure). This constant inlet pressure and reducing exhaust back pressure will make it easier for mixture to flow into the cylinder. So the mass flow of mixture through the engine, and hence the power output will increase.

Q320)
The advantages of a chemical oxygen source for the
passenger cabin are :
1. reduced weight and volume,
2. easy storage and maintenance,
3. greater autonomy,
4. no risk of explosion,
5. reversible functioning,
6. no maintenance.
The combination regrouping all the correct statements
is:
A) 1, 2, 4, 6 (according to the mark scheme)
B) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
C) 2, 3, 5
D) 1, 3, 4, 5

Oxygen generators are simply light aluminium tube sfilled with solid chemicals. So they are much lighter than the high-pressure cylinders that are used in gaseous oxygen systems. So 1 is correct.

The chemical generators are fitted to the aircarft then require no maintenance for many years. But hey must be replaced every 5 years or so. So option 2 is correct(ish).

The word "autonomy" means the ability to make decisions without the need for the consent of others. So statement 3 is a bit dubious. But if it is taken to mean "the facility for automatic operation, such as variation of flow rate and oxygen/air ratio", then it is not true of a chemical oxygen generator. Having been activated they simply produce a trickle flow of oxygen until the chemicals have been exhausted. So statement 3 is incorrect.

Strictly speaking no oxygen system is totally imune to risk of explaosion. A recent accident in a submarine involved an explaosion in a chemical oxygen generator. But chemical generator are far less likley to explode than are high pressure gas cylinedrs. So stement 4 is true(ish)

The operation of chemical generator is not reversible in that they cannot be recharged in the sma eway a high pressure cylinders can. In reality a used chemical generator must be replaced. So statement 5 is untrue.

Chemical generators require no maintenance until they are replaced after 5 years or so, when their life expires. So statment 6 is true(ish).

Taking all of the above into accout, option 1 is the most accurate in this question.

The power output of a normally aspirated piston engine
increases with increasing altitude at constant Manifold
Air Pressure (MAP) and RPM because of the :
A) lower losses during the gas change.
B) lower friction losses.
C) leaner mixture at higher altitudes.
D) lower back pressure. (mark scheme answer)

In order to maintain constant MAP in a climb, you must start with the throttle valve only partly open and gradually open it to compensate for the reducing ambient pressure as you climb. If you do this such that MAP is constant, you will have a constant pressure pushing air from the manifold into the cylinders.

But as altitude increases, the decreasing ambient pressure will make it easier for the exhaust gas to escape through the exhaust pipe. (Reducing exhaust back pressure). This constant inlet pressure and reducing exhaust back pressure will make it easier for mixture to flow into the cylinder. So the mass flow of mixture through the engine, and hence the power output will increase.
So option D is correct.

Q14)
Internal leakage in a hydraulic system will cause :
A) an increased fluid pressure.
B) an increased fluid temperature. (mark scheme answer)
C) fluid loss.
D) a decreased fluid temperature.

Internal leaks will not cause loss of fluid. BUt they will cause system pressure to decrease.

In modern systems the pumps go to zero output, but system pressure remains constant when the services are not being used

But to maintain system pressure when there is an internal leak, the pumps must continue to push fluid through the system. This will cause the fluid temperature to increase.

The main problem with most (but not all) of the question banks currently available is the fact that they contain very few (if any) meaningful explanations. This means that users are simply learning the answers to questions.

Wee Willy Winky
7th Sep 2008, 10:14
So pilotmike, Nearly There and Edgington had it covered between them then.

maxdrypower
7th Sep 2008, 16:55
Just remember if you are studying for the atpls that the volare Qb is somewhat out of date and if any ambiguous questions had come up in recent times they would probably have been appealed and removed anyway. Use a more recent source if goign for the exams , thats my input anywya